• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia

Which teams will qualify from this pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So apparently we're making six changes tonight from the side that started against Wales.

Interesting approach when we haven't even qualified for the last 16 yet.
I'll be amazed if 4 points doesn't get you into the last 16.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not actually worked out all the possible permutations, but finishing top of the group will likely result in an "easier" tie in the next round, no?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not actually worked out all the possible permutations, but finishing top of the group will likely result in an "easier" tie in the next round, no?
Yup. Four of the group winners will play 3rd place teams and the other two will play second place teams.

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long term, as we'll have to play one of the favourites eventually, but it just strikes me as an odd approach at this stage. I think their next game if they win the group isn't until Saturday, so it's not as if they won't be rested anyway.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
This doesn't make any sense to me. We're still trying to work out our best XI and how to utilise them, not to mention the fact the we haven't automatically qualified yet. A third place finish would likely give us a terrible draw. Unless they seem tired in training, I mean we've looked laboured enough on the pitch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, the rumoured side should be strong enough to win, and it's good for these players to have had a go in case they are needed in the later stages. Two of the changes are what most people would want anyway, I would suggest.

Plus by the time Hodgson has to name his side, we will probably already be through mathematically. In which case adding some 'hungrier' players to the mix is no bad thing.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, the rumoured side should be strong enough to win, and it's good for these players to have had a go in case they are needed in the later stages. Two of the changes are what most people would want anyway, I would suggest.

Plus by the time Hodgson has to name his side, we will probably already be through mathematically. In which case adding some 'hungrier' players to the mix is no bad thing.
There aren't any games between now and 8pm. So mathematically nothing will change. Wales v Russia is played simultaneously.

Scaly piscine

I'm quite happy to have the front three that ended against Wales starting later today. Having 3 changes in addition to that isn't a big problem, particularly if one of them is the goalkeeper.

Happy days if Rooney's on the bench.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year

I'd be happy with two or three but six is excessive. We should be trying to fine tune our best combination, I don't see how Wilshere and Henderson come into that. Though I suppose it will be nice to see how we look without Rooney, decent as he's been.

Why will we probably be through mathematically?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We already have 4 points. Any permutation of results leaves us third at worst and in the three world cups with this format 4points has always been enough to go through for any team in third.

Norway got 4 in 94, but somehow managed to come fourth as Italy, Ireland and Mexico all got 4 points too.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If he changes 6 and the team plays better he has given himself a problem. First 45 against Russia was good but they have been poor since then despite some late goals. I find the reports of Rooneys play amusing. People use a pretty low expectation bar when it comes to him.

vogue

I'll just be glad when we start playing and I can watch the game..all the stats/ permutations...:huh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd be happy with two or three but six is excessive. We should be trying to fine tune our best combination, I don't see how Wilshere and Henderson come into that. Though I suppose it will be nice to see how we look without Rooney, decent as he's been.

Why will we probably be through mathematically?
Hart's made 2 mistakes that have led to goals.
Rooney has been unconvincing
Alli and Kane have been poor.
Sterling has been hopeless.

There's 5 changes right there.

Tangles

Have the afternoon off work and get home to discover my cable and Internet down. Ffs. Hope my iPhone lasts.

Scaly piscine

The odds of England not qualifying are in the calibre of winning the lottery. I haven't gone through this message but it will be broadly accurate:

ENGLAND will be knocked out at the Group Stage IF: They lose to Slovakia Wales v Russia is NOT a Draw Republic of Ireland beat Italy Czech Republic beat Turkey Portugal beat Hungary Northern Ireland avoid defeat to Germany Iceland v Austria is NOT a Draw ALL 4 3rd placed sides in Groups C-F have stronger goals differences

Danny Hull