• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, would like England to wrap it up quickly.

Neville typifying the never say die aussie attitude. i hope the English roll him over first thing tomorrow morning

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Watching the highlights. Exciting stuff but odd day of test cricket. Kudos to Finn for proving my doubts groundless though.

& 'Twas an absolute snorter from Johnson, but Bairstow does have previous when it comes to short pitched stuff.

He might have scored bagfulls in CC but I doubt he's faced anyone close to as rapid as MJ.

Howe_zat

Audio File
He does have a crippling weakness to unplayable deliveries.

He's probably got a weakness to getting punched by Frank Bruno, but I doubt many cricketers would hold up well

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Great scorecard to wake up to from an English POV, but seriously.......WTF??

I've only watched the first session on each day, but 27 wickets in 2 days is a ****ing joke........are both these batting lineups really that brittle?? First really good test wicket we've seen for the series and the test will be lucky to make lunch on day 3.........hardly going to encourage the bean counters to produce more of the same going forward is it??

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I've only watched the first session on each day, but 27 wickets in 2 days is a ****ing joke........are both these batting lineups really that brittle?? First really good test wicket we've seen for the series and the test will be lucky to make lunch on day 3.........hardly going to encourage the bean counters to produce more of the same going forward is it??
Of course it is.

They'll miss out on 2 day's revenue but cricket like this is infinitely more interesting than the snoozefests you get at Lord's.

BeeGee

International Captain
Clarke is a boat anchor around Australia's neck. He isn't scoring runs and his captaincy has been suspect. But he's not going to be dropped, so all they can do is move him down the order and hope he finds some form.

Niall

International Coach
They surely have to go for a middle order of:

Smith
S. Marsh
Clarke

for the next Test don't they?
Yeah seems like the sensible option, although even Watson hacking a quick 30 would be more beneficial than Clarke at the moment.

Voges looked a good call initially, but looks horribly out of his depth.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They surely have to go for a middle order of:

Smith
S. Marsh
Clarke

for the next Test don't they?
Yeah I think they will do exactly that.

It makes the question of what happens after the series in a post-Rogers world more interesting though, as it'd sort of been assumed when Voges came into the side that Marsh would come in for Rogers as opener after the Ashes. Do they move Marsh up to open after the Ashes and bring in another middle order player, or do they leave him in his more natural middle order spot and pick another opener? A Watson recall IMO. :ph34r:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The batting is rubbish

England only got 270 odd despite Australia throwing 4 balls around like confetti and the less said about Australia the better

Niall

International Coach
Yeah I think they will do exactly that.

It makes the question of what happens after the series in a post-Rogers world more interesting though, as it'd sort of been assumed when Voges came into the side that Marsh would come in for Rogers as opener after the Ashes. Do they move Marsh up to open after the Ashes and bring in another middle order player, or do they leave him in his more natural middle order spot and pick another opener? A Watson recall IMO. :ph34r:
Bancroft picked a very good time to go big in that India tour match, surely he or Burns will replace Rogers?

Even regarding Rogers surely he has to be tempted to hang around for the Aussie Summer? Not played much international cricket and in cracking form and a reasonably soft series against West Indies after what has to be a very enticing series against NZ. Why retire?

Compton

International Debutant
Post Ashes Australia should send a nice big fruit basket asking Rogers to stay. Play Marsh for Voges.

Failing that, Marsh in for Rogers and Glenn Maxwell in the middle order. It's about time Australia found out what he has to offer at this level.

I wonder if Maxwell succeeded in Test Cricket, if the selectors would be tempted to play him as the Moeen-esque frontline spinner and play four quicks & Marsh.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Day 2 of watching at the ground and it was still cold but at least dry. A great ground for atmosphere and only MJ briefly in the morning and the Nev/MJ partnership silenced them. But not for long.

27 wickets in 2 days and I don't think its that bad a pitch. There was movement around but the batting has made it look unplayable. I thought Vaughn made a good point about partnerships coming for both teams once the ball got to 40 overs or so old. But the batsmen in both teams were not prepared to graft long enough to get to that point. Rogers and Nevill the only 2 Aussies prepared to work hard for runs and got value.

So a poor match from Smith and the middle order does nothing. I totally agree with booting Voges and #clarkeat5 . Voges failure just makes me mad at Burns treatment. I suppose the silver lining is he looks good by not being a part of this.

I though MJ and Nate bowled well with expensive support from Haze. Starc was trash. Didn't deserve a wicket.

Well played England. I hope Nevill can drag it out a bit tomorrow.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
On Clarke. He seemed to be getting back to some form pre Ashes just not batting long. What I've seen today and yesterday looked like Ponting at the end. I hope I'm wrong because the team isn't ready for it. He has to go back to 5 and hope that extra protection helps. I'd say 6 was an option if MM or Nevill could bat 5.