• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
West Ham and Aberdeen though to the 2nd qualifying round for the Europa League. Only another two qualifying rounds and then play-offs to negotiate before the ludicrously formatted group stage. All that to reach the last 32 and mix it with Champions League failures. UEFA and FIFA should both be disbanded and started from scratch by someone with at least a small degree of common sense.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Totally agree, 53 countries with club representatives in Europe are too many. Luckily that nice Mr Putin has some solutions to get rid of all these pesky Eastern European entries by putting them all back in a new glorious All-Russian Union

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Totally agree, 53 countries with club representatives in Europe are too many. Luckily that nice Mr Putin has some solutions to get rid of all these pesky Eastern European entries by putting them all back in a new glorious All-Russian Union
Take your point but surely you agree that:

-July start is madness
-CL rejects joining the competition is a mockery
-There are too many teams

Why, for example, do we need extra places for fair play? Especially when awarded to England which already has, what, six European spots?

The introduction of the group stage in the old UEFA Cup set it on this downward spiral IMO. Doing away with it and going back to two-legged knockouts all the way through would surely improve the situation.

EDIT - suppose the July point is a bit of a self-centred one as your season is march-October sort of times isn't it? So fair enough to disregard that :)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway. Sidetracked. I came here to discuss this.

Koumas Hangs Up His Boots

I'm absolutely gutted. It's killed my buzz at the morning's cricket. Fair to say I'm heartbroken. Devastated. Cut up. Beyond cheering up.

Quite simply the greatest footballer ever to have lived.

love ya Jase :wub: thanks for everything

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, West Ham were the 8th English side into Europe this season I think. What I think is stupid is that they have a four month group stage which doesn't reduce the number of teams involved, at all.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But more importantly how will this affect Eurovision?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Group stage in the Europa League is beyond terrible. Pretty much the worst stage of the Champions League as well, but I can at least understand why they keep it around for that. Just glad they no longer have the second group stage, that really was a slog.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's far from perfect but imo the Europa League gets too much hate. With the first-seeded CL place it actually has some meaning now and the English clubs insisting it still doesn't matter is mostly just because they suck balls in it.

Pothas

Just scrap the group stage. Knockout all the way, and don't even bother with two legs early on.

Said it before but being on Thursday is a big problem, there were exactly some pretty good looking fixtures in the latter stages last year but I did not bother watching them because there had already been football on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't think removing the group stage would help much. Given CL has six matchdays in the group stage, I don't think you would use all of them (or R1 would have to have 256 teams) and so you'd end up having weeks with CL but no EL, which would be just as confusing as today's format.

Pothas

I don't think that is a problem, you don't have to have it every week the Champions League is on. Maybe just start it a few weeks later or something.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Having it in weeks where there's no Champions League football might actually help the competition. Right now it's on a night which interferes with domestic football and follows the Champions League so it's a complete afterthought that no-one cares about. Copying the Champions League format with group stages and anthems etc just further reinforce the competition's image as 'like the Champions League but ****ter'.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Could have it on at weekends. Then have the teams involved catch up on their domestic games mid-week.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cabaye confirmed as a Palace player. Great signing for them. Apparently Shaqiri to Stoke is close too. Some crazy signings happening this summer!
Them 2 and Everton getting Delefeou are good deals yet Sterling will cost about £20m more than the 3 combined. Crazy days.