• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - New Zealand v South Africa (24th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
The cricketweb poll has nz with 29 votes compared to 14 for SA... That shows that NZ are favorites by quite a distance imo even with the smallish sample size.

Shady Slim

International Coach
nz seems to be the main percentage here as far as i've seen and i (admittedly stupidly) thought that that would be india

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Please don't choke Brendon when you bat. He looked like he was "tight" in the quarterfinal.
I agree. He failed in the 2007 & 2011 semis against SL spinners (and dropped an easy and crucial catch in the super 6s against India in 2003 when we were eliminated) so needs to score big

viriya

International Captain
Yeah in terms of 'disappointment levels' & I just texted a SA mate the same thing, If NZ lost in that quarter to the Windies, I would have been well & truly gutted & would have struggled to live with it. If NZ lose tomorrow because SA were too good, I'll consider it a reasonable WC & will be able to live with it, even though I'll naturally be disappointed.

If we do happen to make the final and lose, I'll still consider the WC a great triumph for NZ.

And of course if we did manage to go all the way then it would simply be the greatest sporting moment of my life.
Agree with this entirely. Same feelings. I actually think this should be the final because, despite losing two matches, I think RSA has the best, most rounded team, followed by NZ who have a lot of players who are yet to reach a point in their careers like AB, Amla and Steyn have already reached.
I see that you guys have successfully gambhired your way into hedging your emotions.. You are not fooling anyone though, considering this is NZ's best ever chance, a loss would result in months of depression for you all and you know it.

Embrace it.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
nz seems to be the main percentage here as far as i've seen and i (admittedly stupidly) thought that that would be india
I don't think we are quite as large as the English, Australian and Indian contingents. But we are probably the most insular and matey.

Teja.

Global Moderator
NZ are the favourites not just for the match but the cup IMO.

If it's a close game where both sides are pushed in a 300 plays 300 scenario though, dat Kane cake will be extremely vital as Ross is not in great touch.

NZ winning would be fantastic for cricket as well, really hope they do it if India doesn't.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. He failed in the 2007 & 2011 semis against SL spinners (and dropped an easy and crucial catch in the super 6s against India in 2003 when we were eliminated) so needs to score big
He also failed with the bat and dropped a skyer with the gloves on in the champions trophy final

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
NZ are the favourites not just for the match but the cup IMO.
Maybe this just stems from my betting background, but I never thought sports favouritism was something one could really have an opinion over. I've always considered it a concept purely concerned with perseption. If I thought Ireland were the most likely team to win at the start of this tournament, would that have made them "favourites IMO", or would I have simply been expecting an underdog to win?

Teja.

Global Moderator
I get what you're saying but the term favourites has bigger connotations than merely within the confines of sportsbetting odds.

or to put it this way, NZ will be favourites on tejabet if I were paid to analyze the teams and draw up odds.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I get what you're saying but the term favourites has bigger connotations than merely within the confines of sportsbetting odds.

or to put it this way, NZ will be favourites on tejabet if I were paid to analyze the teams and draw up odds.
Yeah but that's just who you think will win. Sometimes sports betting agencies can set odds that don't represent the true favourites in the way I see the concept for various reasons, but I don't think it's an individual opinion based concept. If I think Team A will win but everyone else thinks Team D will win, Team D are favourites. By that logic, New Zealand just objectively aren't favourites to win the Cup (this game specifically is more debatable I suppose) regardless of whether you think they'll win or not.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
I don't think we are quite as large as the English, Australian and Indian contingents. But we are probably the most insular and matey.
It's as though every Kiwi cricket follower with an internet connection and a computer posts here. cricketweb's official nationality must be New Zealander surely?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah but that's just who you think will win. Sometimes sports betting agencies can set odds that don't represent the true favourites in the way I see the concept for various reasons, but I don't think it's an individual opinion based concept. If I think Team A will win but everyone else thinks Team D will win, Team D are favourites. By that logic, New Zealand just objectively aren't favourites to win the Cup (this game specifically is more debatable I suppose) regardless of whether you think they'll win or not.
This is untrue.

favourite
ˈfeɪv(ə)rɪt/
noun
plural noun: favourites
a person or thing that is preferred to all others of the same kind or is especially well liked.
"my favourite is tandoori chicken"
synonyms: first choice, choice, pick, preference, pet, beloved, darling; More
antonyms: bête noire
the competitor thought most likely to win a game or contest, especially by people betting on the outcome.
"the team are strong favourites"

synonyms: expected winner, probable winner, front runner
"the favourite fell at the very first fence"
antonyms: underdog
a record of the address of a website or other data made to enable quick access; a bookmark.
verb
3rd person present: favourites
record the address of (a website or other data) to enable quick access in future.
"you can see who else favourited the same pictures"
Especially but not exclusively.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is untrue.

Especially but not exclusively.
New Zealand aren't the competitor thought most likely to win the contest though - even if we ignore the odds. I don't disagree with the definition at all.

Are you saying that there is absolutely no difference in your mind between saying "X are favourites IMO" and "I think X will probably win"? If not, can you give an example of a situation where you'd not consider a team favourites despite expecting them to win, and explain how it differs from this situation? :p

Teja.

Global Moderator
Imagine if organized sports betting didn't exist, A has to decide which semifinal he has to book tickets for pre-WC depending on whether NZ will be 1st or 2nd in their group. It's perfectly cool for A to say he thinks NZ are 'favourites' to top their group based on his understanding of cricket and since the term favourites exists outside the betting context, though predominantly in the betting context, I think the use of favourites is fine.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Imagine if organized sports betting didn't exist, A has to decide which semifinal he has to book tickets for pre-WC depending on whether NZ will be 1st or 2nd in their group. It's perfectly cool for A to say he thinks NZ are 'favourites' to top their group based on his understanding of cricket and since the term favourites exists outside the betting context, though predominantly in the betting context, I think the use of favourites is fine.
I don't really agree at all, but I can at least see your rationale for using that term now. Cheers.

Teja.

Global Moderator
New Zealand aren't the competitor thought most likely to win the contest though - even if we ignore the odds. I don't disagree with the definition at all.

Are you saying that there is absolutely no difference in your mind between saying "X are favourites IMO" and "I think X will probably win"? If not, can you give an example of a situation where you'd not consider a team favourites despite expecting them to win, and explain how it differs from this situation? :p
Quoting from a Martin Crowe article (to provide a common parlance usage, not that Crowe is an authority on usage of words)

He said he had Australia down as World Cup favourites
If favourites purely meant what you think it means, terms like 'having someone down' as a favourite would be redundant.

Your move.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Gosh always this topic of debate when south africa is involved with a knock out game. Both supporter bases are obsessed not to he caught out with the favorites tag as a preemptive measure to the situation that their team might lose and that they will be called chokers.

In the black corner - undefeated at the wc, on form, at home.

In the green corner - arguably one of the best cricket countries not to win a wc, two atg players in the top order another atg bowler.

So would either team losing be considered a choke when in fact its too close to call?

Why would it be a choke if either team lost considering the oposition?