• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20th Match - New Zealand v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is not a shot at NZ!

BUT explain to me how a "fair" contest between bat and ball involves 45m boundaries, fielding restrictions and calling wides a millimetre outside the tram lines when the batsman has backed away 2 feet before the ball is delivered

I didn't watch much of the Oz innings (only saw the "highlights") but when McCullum can outside edge a cover drive for 6 over 3rd man, there is something very wrong with the balance of the game

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Watched the highlights, crazy game! Mitchell Starc reminds a lot of Wasim Akram from 1980s, when he had a more side.on action before he switched to chest on in 1990s.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
congrats NZ on a good win, i just watched the highlights and Starc was fantastic too .Dont subscribe to all this "short boundaries so it wasnt a fair game" bs sour grapes, unless the boundaries were only that size for the Kiwis??Didnt think so...I still maintain that NZ is gonna win the competition..

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
congrats NZ on a good win, i just watched the highlights and Starc was fantastic too .Dont subscribe to all this "short boundaries so it wasnt a fair game" bs sour grapes, unless the boundaries were only that size for the Kiwis??Didnt think so...I still maintain that NZ is gonna win the competition..
I am not saying "short boundaries so it wasnt a fair game" as both teams play on the same field

IMO, it is just rubbish for cricket as the balance has shifted too far in one direction

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Eurgh. Missed the end.

Well, only a pool game in the end.

**** me though. How dumb Was some of our batting.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I am not saying "short boundaries so it wasnt a fair game" as both teams play on the same field

IMO, it is just rubbish for cricket as the balance has shifted too far in one direction
fair enough but it was the same for both teams so if not for the excellent bowling from both sides, we should have seen a 300 each affair..

TC123

Cricket Spectator

BUT explain to me how a "fair" contest between bat and ball involves 45m boundaries, fielding restrictions and calling wides a millimetre outside the tram lines when the batsman has backed away 2 feet before the ball is delivered

I didn't watch much of the Oz innings (only saw the "highlights") but when McCullum can outside edge a cover drive for 6 over 3rd man, there is something very wrong with the balance of the game
Ok our boundaries are definitely on the smaller side. But both teams got a go batting and bowling. Fair contest!
If the kiwis get to Melbourne and plenty of us believe the blackcaps will make the final, I think we can feel confident of beating Australia again. Time will tell but for today we will enjoy the victory. We've endured some tough years

Flem274*

123/5
people who don't watch odis at eden park to stop commenting on it pls

300 is hard there unless you bat very well because of the pitch and the usual auckland conditions.

Athlai

Not Terrible

You are aware ball dominated proceedings right?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

In which direction? Small boundaries are generally looked down upon because it produces easy runs if the pitch is a road. But this game proved that with a good pitch with help for the bowlers and quality bowling, you can still have a great game of cricket, regardless of the size of the ground. Fail to see what your point is.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
people who don't watch odis at eden park to stop commenting on it pls

300 is hard there unless you bat very well because of the pitch and the usual auckland conditions.
Didn't you make a joke post saying people would move on to something else to hate on (ie) the small ground? Amazing that it's actually happened.

Antihippy

International Debutant
The small boundaries were irrelevant at the end. Really no point bringing it up for this match.

Also just want to say who said yorkers don't work anymore? I wonder if this will kickstart the art of bowling more yorkers, which has been weirdly absent for awhile now. I've actually been really annoyed at the majority of death bowling this world cup.

Last edited:

Swingpanzee

International Regular
The small boundaries were irrelevant at the end. Really no point bringing it up for this match.

Also just want to say who said yorkers don't work anymore? I wonder if this will kickstart the art of bowling more yorkers, which has been weirdly absent for awhile now.
Well executed yorkers work really well, it's just that they are bloody hard to execute accurately and consistently.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Couldn't be worse than the short, slow filth that is a constant throughout this world cup.

Also they're bloody international level players. Suck it up and learn how to execute your skills.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Such horrible batting and **** strategy throughout the match, but despite the fact the bowling dominated, the one thing I will remember from that match forever is Kane's winning shot. The sheer balls is amazing.

Said at the time I would have gone with Mitch for that over but he sucked all day so who knows.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't know if Mitch sucked that much. He got McCullumed then got his plan wrong for three balls to Anderson. I'd have backed him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
oh come on, I hate this rule where the MOM only goes to a member of the winning team. Starc made this a contest - should have been MOM (not that Boult was undeserving).
Tie breaker - did Boult go out? No. Did Starc? Yes.

Boult survived to allow Kane to hit the greatest six in the history of the world.

James

Cricket Web Owner
As Kiwi fans, how would we want the Sri Lanka/Australia match to go? If Sri Lanka beat Australia, it looks like it might be a re-run of this match in the Semi-Final providing Australia and New Zealand get through the Quarters that is.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
As Kiwi fans, how would we want the Sri Lanka/Australia match to go? If Sri Lanka beat Australia, it looks like it might be a re-run of this match in the Semi-Final providing Australia and New Zealand get through the Quarters that is.
SL are severely underrated. I'd rather face Aus.