• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

9th Match - New Zealand v England

Who will win this match?

• New Zealand

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • England

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Awesome captaincy from McCullum to bring back Southee after the Morgan wicket, by the way. So many captains would've let the game drift trying to save his strike bowler's overs for later.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We really should be looking at bringing our boys home and letting the lasses play instead
Couldn't do any worse than this bunch of amateurs. The state of English cricket sometimes beggars belief really. This was a throwback to last year's ashes when you wake up fearing the worst and find out that our useless tossers have actually done even worse than anyone thought possible.

Apparently it was moving around a bit, so was it really expecting too much of Anderson and Broad to show up?
And obviously Finn just needs to **** off and learn how to bowl. Probably needs to leave Middlesex, for someone like Yorkshire or Durham who actually know how to develop quicks.

No doubt Moores will get slaughtered again (really classy by Collingwood the other day btw) but what on earth is he supposed to do with the sort of dross that our wonderful county system produces?

Oh, and good job they replaced Cook. Clearly that's made so much difference.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah David - this England team is stacked with decent players. In my opinion, they made a mistake going back to Moores and should have made a new appointment of some fresh blood to bring in some new views and perspectives. Moores was always a retrograde step IMO. No substantial signs of improvement from a pretty woeful nadir at the end of Flower's spell at the helm. Also, England in general need to be less easily swayed by tabloid headlines, not that they've done themselves any favours in that regard.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i've seen some cowardly and gutless england performances in my time and this one was right up there.

if the icc can sit there in their ivory tower and tell us that ireland are good enough/not worthy of test status then surely they can also rescind the full odi status from this utter farce of a side who are not worthy of it. apart from a few cheap laughs, what value exactly does this english side add to the world cup or any one day series? would anyone care one iota if england had been replaced by another associate nation? 'oh no i won't get to see the textbook batting of ian bell'.

england so far have been the least competitive side at this world cup. there has barely been a single moment where you sensed they were in a game.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently it was moving around a bit, so was it really expecting too much of Anderson and Broad to show up?
And obviously Finn just needs to **** off and learn how to bowl. Probably needs to leave Middlesex, for someone like Yorkshire or Durham who actually know how to develop quicks.

Despite the canning McCullum gave us it was not our bowlers that lost this game.

Anderson, Broad and especially Finn were on the receiving end of one of (if not the) the best hitters in the game with nothing to lose.........he could have very well done the same to Steyn and Co in that situation. I'm not saying they weren't ****e but if we are pointing the finger there are 6 blokes in the firing line before we look at them IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Watching the replay with my dad and tens of thousands of people chanting Southee's name brings chills.

The swing was the centre piece live but on a rewatch it's the lines and his use of the crease you notice. The English have no idea whether he's bowling on or just outside off stump and then they miss it anyway (or edge it).

Howe_zat

Audio File
Today I conducted a scientific experiment, which is

how long does it take to watch every ball of an 8-hour ODI from dvr?

Answer: 35 minutes

I admit that today my not be the best example to use

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Warne really doesn't like Buchanan (sp) does he.

Had a nice dig at his role with NZ cricket a few seasons back.

viriya

International Captain
atm the combined odds on NZ or SA winnings is higher than Aus but only by about 10%. I'd die a happy man if that turned out to be true.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He's got decent natural timing and a very smooth batswing from what I've seen, he'd do well by eliminating that idiotic, clearly coach-induced, trigger movement of his and just staying still at the crease.
Actually looks really similar to Cook from watching at the ground.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah, maybe. They've looked good, but possibly in a similar boat to us in that they've been flattered by mediocre opposition. One way to find out...

They beat second favourites for the world cup South Africa 4-1 not to long ago.:huh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually looks really similar to Cook from watching at the ground.
Haha yep.

I'll see if I can find any footage of him when he was 18-19; he was extremely still at the crease back then and just gracefully timed the ball through the line. His current setup is very unnatural.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the replay with my dad and tens of thousands of people chanting Southee's name brings chills.

The swing was the centre piece live but on a rewatch it's the lines and his use of the crease you notice. The English have no idea whether he's bowling on or just outside off stump and then they miss it anyway (or edge it).
Imagine having people chant your name. His grandkids will need to read about it to believe it was true.

We googled some stories after the game and read this quote "Westpac stadium was heaving".

And that's about right. Special day to be at a cricket ground.

If you are in Wellington get tickets anyway you can to the quarterfinal.

If you are in Auckland be at the semi no matter how much it costs (if we make it.)

Memories will be made - and players will stand up to be counted.

I pondered after the game whether the English took the game seriously enough, or whether they respected our bowlers enough. And they certainly did. There was no hubris from the English. Ian Bell left most of his deliveries go outside off stump in the first over and was circumspect after that. The English were trying and were in the right mindset, Tim just had other ideas.

I don't know where the English go from here. We won in less than 15 overs of batting. If I were them I think I would shrug off these two losses. If there were seedings on recent form for the tournament the English just lost to the first and third seeds in their opening two games. I would only push the panic button if they lose the next game.

Somewhat dissappointed Milne took the final wicket. Imagine if he had've bowled his last over.