• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Garry v Sachin

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This is an interesting discussion point and certainly unique. I don't think we've discussed this on cricketweb before.

Hmm...Is Sachin better than Bradman? Let's think.

Sachin averaged about 50 when the elite players of his era averaged about 50.

The Don averaged 100 when the elite players of his era averaged about 50.

Hmm....
So you are saying he would average a ton now? LOL. Best case scenario he would average 50, worse case he would be figured out and dumped by his country. Donald Bradman has a serious question mark over his credentials as far as the modern era is concerned, he would have it all to prove. Tendulkar has been analysed inside out and faced everything, the God has 100 100's to show for it, nothing to hide or prove. Don only played against one country mainly, I don't take it too seriously.

I'm sure Viru averaged over a 100 in tests versus Pakistan at one point, means nothing really on it's own. Well at least Viru is a modern day legend.

Yes, it's interesting for sure.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You do realize he is not a God and that he really wasn't that far ahead (if at all) of Lara and Ponting from his own era.

Dhoni_183*

You do realize he is not a God and that he really wasn't that far ahead (if at all) of Lara and Ponting from his own era.

100 100's, dominated BOTH formats of his day. Lara and Punter not as much. Lara often had lean spells unlike Tendu. Tendu dominated top attacks like a lone warrior. Ponting was in a strong team as well. Although I like both these guys, they admitted themselves Sachin is Sachin. Tells you something? Only Sir Viv gets close but again he said Sachin is better.

He is not a God? Well technically in Hinduism there is a bit of God in all of us, obviously more in Tendu. I won't be able to sleep now.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
So you are saying he would average a ton now? LOL. Best case scenario he would average 50, worse case he would be figured out and dumped by his country. Donald Bradman has a serious question mark over his credentials as far as the modern era is concerned, he would have it all to prove. Tendulkar has been analysed inside out and faced everything, the God has 100 100's to show for it, nothing to hide or prove. Don only played against one country mainly, I don't take it too seriously.

I'm sure Viru averaged over a 100 in tests versus Pakistan at one point, means nothing really on it's own. Well at least Viru is a modern day legend.

:notworthy:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ah cool. so we're just causally knocking 50 off everyone from that era's average, so guys like McCabe, Hutton and Headley were actually no better than Chris Martin?

Dhoni_183*

Ah cool. so we're just causally knocking 50 off everyone from that era's average, so guys like McCabe, Hutton and Headley were actually no better than Chris Martin?
All I am saying is they played in a semi professional era and must not be compared to players from the modern era!

They theoretically COULD be great in this era, but they may not be. I mean it's a good pub story when you reminisce on their powers and it is steeped in cricketing folklore with a romantic feel. Who can forget Thommo saying he could bowl 180kmph if he was timed at the bowler's end? That he only views Tait, Akhtar, Lee as sharp. Ok this is the 70's but you get my point.

Fact remains that a shining light like Tendulkar has nothing to prove and his record is unquestionable.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
so you are saying he would average a ton now? Lol. Best case scenario he would average 50, worse case he would be figured out and dumped by his country. Donald bradman has a serious question mark over his credentials as far as the modern era is concerned, he would have it all to prove. Tendulkar has been analysed inside out and faced everything, the god has 100 100's to show for it, nothing to hide or prove. Don only played against one country mainly, i don't take it too seriously.

I'm sure viru averaged over a 100 in tests versus pakistan at one point, means nothing really on it's own. Well at least viru is a modern day legend.

codswallop!

Spark

Global Moderator
Tendulkar would have seriously struggled to use the lighter, inferior bats of Bradman's era because he relied heavily on heavy modern bats and would not have been anywhere near as productive as he was against bowlers of the quality of Larwood, Barnes, Grimmett, O'Reilly etc.

There, I just "questioned" Tendulkar's record using the same sort of spurious "logic" that is used to question Bradman.

Dhoni_183*

Tendulkar would have seriously struggled to use the lighter, inferior bats of Bradman's era because he relied heavily on heavy modern bats and would not have been anywhere near as productive as he was against bowlers of the quality of Larwood, Barnes, Grimmett, O'Reilly etc.

There, I just "questioned" Tendulkar's record using the same sort of spurious "logic" that is used to question Bradman.
Tendulkar had exquisite timing with a heavy bat, logic tells me that a lighter one will make it easier. Poorer fielders, no real tactics, Tendu would make merry.

Spark

Global Moderator
right well now we've just parted company with reality completely.

looking forward to the next debate on how gravity makes objects rise next. and how the sun actually rises in the west.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Doesn't matter if Bradman would have averaged 4 today. Or 400. It's completely irrelevant; he wasn't trying to develop a game for a that. I can just imagine the look on his captain's face if he told him he was going to change his technique to be more in line with the challenges of a random spot in time 80 years down the track even though he knew it meant he'd be less effective in reality.

Last edited:

Dhoni_183*

right well now we've just parted company with reality completely.

looking forward to the next debate on how gravity makes objects rise next. and how the sun actually rises in the west.
Sorry Spark. Just will have to agree to disagree. Football/Boxing hasn't changed much but cricket is so much more technical now.

Going back to that heavy/light bat. Well our coach makes us fasties use a heavy ball, saying when we play with a normal one it will be easier. Jimmy does it too. I'm sure the same applies to bats with some practice.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Sorry Spark. Just will have to agree to disagree. Football/Boxing hasn't changed much but cricket is so much more technical now.

Going back to that heavy/light bat. Well our coach makes us fasties use a heavy ball, saying when we play with a normal one it will be easier. Jimmy does it too. I'm sure the same applies to bats with some practice.
this is incredible

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This is ****ing terrible. Honestly, there's been some dud posters kick off here over the years (myself included), but you're on the verge of taking not just the biscuit but the whole box of Tim Tams.

Your posting also has a vaguely familiar tone to it. It could just be you're making the same points which have been done to death in the past here, but from my POV there's more to it than just that.

There's nothing wrong with saying you think Tendulkar is better than Bradman if that's what you think in the tiny recesses of your mind, but this is why you should have a look at some of the threads around the place when you first join up before you carry on with this sort of ****ful tone in saying it. There's a zillion threads about this sort of stuff. Seriuosly, go have a read of them until at least June 30, then get back to us.

Honestly, it's times like this I wish I was a moderator.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dhoni 183 dominating you all here by getting you guys to respond. You guys are getting smashed.