• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Spark

Global Moderator
Firstly, if you are saying the trajectory is treated differently them would love for you to predict reverse swing and spin.

You do realize that makers of this devices admit themselves that Hawkeye isn't a exact science due to limitations of data that can be collected by cameras so quickly.

https://cricketique.wordpress.com/2...roversy-an-explanation-of-the-2-5-meter-rule/

Good explanation. Will post more later.

because the trajectory from after the ball bounces is treated as entirely independent of the trajectory before it bounces
if it swings at all for any reason, then you take it into account by calculating the instantaneous velocity at the point of impact just as you'd do for every other ball. this is physics, ffs.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

if it swings at all for any reason, then you take it into account by calculating the instantaneous velocity at the point of impact just as you'd do for every other ball. this is physics, ffs.
Fair enough but what i meant was the data still has to be taken from the path before hitting the pad and there is limitation in that regard. Even bigger when it's 2.5 meter ahead. It causes bigger problems in terms of Spin, Reverse swing and also variable or low/high bounce especially depending on where impact is.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So annoying. Nasser Hussain made the same DRS points but Healy is just cringeworthy.
I don't even think Healy was originally trying to make a DRS point. I think he just engaged in some awful heat-of-the-moment cheerleading when Ashwin got out and then tried to smother it by making that point afterwards.

Spark

Global Moderator
Fair enough but the data still has to be taken from the path before hitting the pad and there is limitation in that regard. Even bigger when it's 2.5 meter ahead. It causes bigger problems in terms of Spin, Reverse swing and also variable or low/high bounce especially depending on where impact is.
the 2.5 metres is nothing more than an arbitrary marker put in at which we've decided the inflation in the uncertainty due to picking the point of impact in the pad becomes more significant than is accounted for by umpire's call. the rest only becomes an issue if it's a yorker.

dognutz

U19 12th Man
Interesting point. Was the decision not to use it inclusive of player opinion (which admittedly I have assumed) or is it simply dictated by the board?