• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
i will say this only one more time. to calculate, with precision, the trajectory of any moving object whether it be a cricket ball or a ****ing planet (up to minor aerodynamic corrections etc etc which are explicitly ruled out by the laws of the game) you need precisely two things

1. the object's position
2. the object's momentum

every single uncertainty and error in the trajectory therefore comes down to the error in one of those two variables. what the ball does, in particular how "bouncy" the pitch is (which is what we're actually talking about), is entirely irrelevant so long as there's sufficient time between pitching and impact to calculate the ball's velocity independent of what it was before the the ball pitched. so this "but the gabba is bouncy!" argument is completely spurious.
You are arguing what is needed. I am arguing to gather this info the point of impact and how far he is in front of the pitch is relevant especially if you have to do it immediately as per the makers themselves too. That article explained well. It's not a exact science which you seem to assume for whatever reason. And the bounce argument is not irrelevant in this context as the data collected could certainly have limitations or inconsistencies and the chances of this increase when it goes further from the stumps .

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
i give up. high school physics is too hard for some, apparently.
Didn't know they gave you direct access to all live Data even after denying ICC and BCCI earlier and resisting independent tests for a while too. My bad.

Btw, even the distance between the ball pitching and impact is very relevant in terms of collecting data.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
BCCI statement after Dhawan wrist injury:

“Instead of [fresh net practice wickets], they [curators] have asked [us] to practise on worn-out wickets, which have uneven bounce. Because of that, two of our batsmen got injured today morning. One of the two batsmen, Shikar Dhawan, had a right wrist injury. Because of that he was unable to bat in the morning. He is being examined by our physio, and will assess his fitness in some time.”