• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
the 2.5 metres is nothing more than an arbitrary marker put in at which we've decided the inflation in the uncertainty due to picking the point of impact in the pad becomes more significant than is accounted for by umpire's call. the rest only becomes an issue if it's a yorker.
This was more 2.6 metres to be precise so beyond the arbitary marker as the article fairly explains.

Also, It all should obviously depend on the data that can be picked up and how accurately and even that's not consistent from ball to ball. Unless you are making assumption that only basic stuff is needed as every ball behaves same on every wicket and the trajectory is same. Where it hits on the pads and where the contact is picked up is hugely important too.

Maybe you could help them improve it as per what you are claiming seems more accurate than even previous claims.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India should have put out that statement at the start of the day.

If they didn't would seem like they are bitching now, even if it seems they have a case.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Favourite Indian name mis-pronunciations

Dough-knee
Jiddeshwah Pooh-jawra
Varunaroon
Ra-hay-nee

It's getting almost as bad as a Aril Muddafarkhar, Penut Butajar and Was-he Acrim

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea the timing is so stupid. It doesn't even need to be a press release, let alone after they've just collapsed. If you have a problem, push it up quietly through the appropriate channels.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't even think Healy was originally trying to make a DRS point. I think he just engaged in some awful heat-of-the-moment cheerleading when Ashwin got out and then tried to smother it by making that point afterwards.
What'd he say I missed the ashwin wicket

Spark

Global Moderator
This was more 2.6 metres to be precise so beyond the arbitary marker as the article fairly explains.

Also, It all should obviously depend on the data that can be picked up and how accurately and even that's not consistent from ball to ball. Unless you are making assumption that only basic stuff is needed as every ball behaves same on every wicket and the trajectory is same. Where it hits on the pads and where the contact is picked up is hugely important too.

Maybe you could help them improve it as per what you are claiming seems more accurate than even previous claims.
i will say this only one more time. to calculate, with precision, the trajectory of any moving object whether it be a cricket ball or a ****ing planet (up to minor aerodynamic corrections etc etc which are explicitly ruled out by the laws of the game) you need precisely two things

1. the object's position
2. the object's momentum

every single uncertainty and error in the trajectory therefore comes down to the error in one of those two variables. what the ball does, in particular how "bouncy" the pitch is (which is what we're actually talking about), is entirely irrelevant so long as there's sufficient time between pitching and impact to calculate the ball's velocity independent of what it was before the the ball pitched. so this "but the gabba is bouncy!" argument is completely spurious.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
in other news

Steve Smith will soon have new generation to lead as Michael Clarke era nears end

i guess mickey arthur does have some reason to feel smug tbf
Heh, I always assumed the Agar/Smith additions were a Lehmann thing, particularly given they were selected in the eleven when Lehmann took over.

Smith was coming off a really good tour of India where everyone else failed so leaving him out was always really harsh in the first place. It wasn't like he was plucked from obscurity for that Ashes tour.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What'd he say I missed the ashwin wicket
"Who cares pal get out, you've been given, DRS would help you, but this is not going to"

It was even more cringeworthy because his voice had a bit of a squeak about it when he said it.