• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand a better side than Australia at the moment?

Flem274*

123/5
Haddin's glovework is weird. I swear he's always been pretty good to outstanding in Australia (which combined with his batting there makes him the best keeper in the world for tests in Australia) but whenever he goes on tour he has some shockers. I know conditions are different and all but I don't think I've seen such a pronounced difference in the home v away glovework in a keeper before. Usually they're either awful everywhere or struggle to get to grips with an aspect of keeping in one or two specific countries (i.e. England with the duke).

Anyone got an idea why?

Spark

Global Moderator
Excellent post. Warner vs Taylor may get a conversation going, smith vs taylor wasn't going to draw many serious comments. I keep waiting for the video analysts to figure out Warner and they just can't. Bond reckoned he got all his wickets by watching video and hatching plans.
The only thing I have observed about dw is that he is absurdly strong outside off stump.
Yeah in the last year he's barely ever got out the one way I thought he'd get out heaps - nicking off to the slips. Just hammers it outside off, to the extent that it might even be too strong because he tries that stupid dinky cut shot which he spoons to point.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Haddin's glovework is weird. I swear he's always been pretty good to outstanding in Australia (which combined with his batting there makes him the best keeper in the world for tests in Australia) but whenever he goes on tour he has some shockers. I know conditions are different and all but I don't think I've seen such a pronounced difference in the home v away glovework in a keeper before. Usually they're either awful everywhere or struggle to get to grips with an aspect of keeping in one or two specific countries (i.e. England with the duke).

Anyone got an idea why?

talking very much out of my ass but it seems like he's not systematic in his keeping technique. This means when he's in familiar conditions he where he can do everything on autopilot it doesn't matter, but the moment things are a little unfamiliar he can't piece matters together.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah in the last year he's barely ever got out the one way I thought he'd get out heaps - nicking off to the slips. Just hammers it outside off, to the extent that it might even be too strong because he tries that stupid dinky cut shot which he spoons to point.
I give him a 10 out of ten for play outside off stump and a 7 out of ten for leg side play. However 7 out of ten is strong enough to punish you if you bowl at the wickets. Your only chance is to bowl at off stump, this is difficult for two reasons: firstly bowlers are used to bowling 4th and 5th stump and have trouble making the adjustment, and secondly for every other batsman in the team you need to bowl outside off stump so it is hard to get in a rhythm against him and rogers or whoever is at the other end

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Not like Haddin has been great with the gloves overseas either.

Really should be three Test series next year, Pakistan is more likely to be 4-0 than them win a match IMO in our conditions (if Johnson is still in form).

Warner's in the same dimension.

Think one of the underrated moves of the series was McCullum opening in sub-continental conditions. Think it's a great move, let him get in against mediums and then take control of the innings; he doesn't have the game make runs consistently in home/pace friendly conditions at the top of the order, but it gives the Black Caps a great weapon on slower pitches. Should slide back down the order when they play their next Test.

And in any composite team, Williamson has to play at 3, he's the only guy capable of it in either team (in reference to guys saying that they'd take Smith/McCullum in their side before KW). It's the biggest advantage that NZ have over Australia at the moment.

Rahat was consistently high 130s, early 140s.

Flem274*

123/5
Warner is awesome. It was clear from the day he scored a ton in his debut series on that green top/road (tour thread in joke) where Doug Bracewell went wild.

Warner's only weaknesses are world class bowling and himself so if your bowlers suck you better hope he has a brain fade.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Anyone got an idea why?
Pretty simple. Australia is one of the easier places in the world to keep. Consistent bounce is the friend of wicketkeepers.

BeeGee

International Captain

Anyone got an idea why?
He gets more rumpy pumpy when he's playing at home. Good for stress relief and relaxation. Works the glutes, get's the tension out of the muscles.

I always played better if I got some the night before. In fact, my inability to score was usually due to my inability to score.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Similar in that pretty much all assistance for the pace bowlers tends to be removed when a non-Asian team tours

That was a funny series, they prepared decks that probably gave more assistance to the fast bowlers (Herath averaged mid 30s and Ajmal early 40s) and we won a good toss in Dubai

As I had a dull day at work I decided to through the Pakistan team Lanka beat and NZ beat and for me, I think the Lanka result is more impressive even if the NZ win was also immense.

Why? Obvious the Pakistan team that played against Lanka was superior than the current mob.

2nd Test: Pakistan v Sri Lanka at Dubai (DSC), Jan 8-12, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The gruesome twosome Masood and Talha are nowhere to be found.. Manzoor is a bit rubbish, but he wasn't that bad in that test. Also no Ajmal or Junaid which is massive,,the replacements are not in the category even if their actions are actually legal.

Its a reasonably interesting debate though is you can make arguments for both test wins, and both are obviously very impressive.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah SL are definitely a btter team than NZ in these conditions.

Winning after bowling first is huge tbh though.

Rahat Ali has also improved out of sight and was the best pace bowler across the Aus and NZ series. Talha was obviously rubbish though.

There have been occasions when Herath was made to look rubbish (I.e. When Pak chase 300 in 2 sessions) but I think that's down to the batsmen and it's the same with Babar and Yasir in this test.

SL are a better team than NZ in these conditions. What's arguably more impressive is them winning in England, which is just as much a stronghold as the UAE.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Warner
2. McCullum
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Clarke *
6. Smith
7. Watling +
8. Johnson
9. Southee
10. Harris
11. Boult

12. Watson

Would legitimately consider dropping Baz for Latham, tbh. That notion seems somewhat insane after the year he's had, but between the two sides there is some serious batting quality.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah SL are definitely a btter team than NZ in these conditions.

Winning after bowling first is huge tbh though.

Rahat Ali has also improved out of sight and was the best pace bowler across the Aus and NZ series. Talha was obviously rubbish though.

There have been occasions when Herath was made to look rubbish (I.e. When Pak chase 300 in 2 sessions) but I think that's down to the batsmen and it's the same with Babar and Yasir in this test.

SL are a better team than NZ in these conditions. What's arguably more impressive is them winning in England, which is just as much a stronghold as the UAE.
Difference is bowling first gave us a distinct advantage in that game however it would have worked against you guys because of the nature of the pitch, I'd say NZs win is entirely more impressive

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I think people are seriously overrating Australia . Barring Johnson, Harris, Warner, Smith And Clarke, the rest of the players in their side are all pretty average. And three of the aforementioned five are coming to the end of their careers.

I mean Australia just got smashed (not beaten - absolutely hammered) by a Pakistan side that was hardly vintage. I can't remember the Aussies ever being that badly beaten in a series - well possibly India 2013 which incidentally was with much the same set of players.

Australia's selectors had the opportunity this summer to blood some new, young talent against a subcontinental side at home - particularly in the batting ranks. Instead, they chose to play safe and stick with gash like Rogers, Watson, Shaun marsh and Haddin. They have just f***** themselves with respect to the Ashes next year - i am pretty confident that the POms will win the Ashes back quite convincingly.

Oh and on topic, NZL certainly have more talented batsmen than Australia and their new ball attack is pretty good. I'd back them to beat the Aussies fairly comfortably on their green tops at home and at the very least be competitive in OZ.

Last edited: