• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah it's great. Raises the stakes, because you hate losing to players that do that **** but love beating them more than anything.

John Terry falling on his hole while missing the crucial CL final penalty wouldn't have been the best thing ever to happen if he was a nice guy. Probs wouldn't even make the top ten.
On a relevant note im not usually a fan of the whole not celebrating against your old club thing but for someone like Lampard you can understand it

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On a relevant note im not usually a fan of the whole not celebrating against your old club thing but for someone like Lampard you can understand it
I just think it's an huge non-issue, so much time talked about it, but it's up to the player. Most of the time I don't care. When Martin Phillips kissed the badge when scoring for Arglyle against us I think most thought it was over the top. Yet it was his choice and he now knows every city supporter will hate him forever.

Yet if he'd just punched the air who would give a ****. I don't really care either way if the celebration is normal.

Anyway to summarise Phillips can burn in hell, little ****-weasle.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Usually when players don't celebrate it's out of respect to their old team and in particular the supporters, and they're still pleased to have scored. In Lampard's case he was genuinely gutted that he'd scored and had nothing to celebrate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just think it's an huge non-issue, so much time talked about it, but it's up to the player. Most of the time I don't care. When Martin Phillips kissed the badge when scoring for Arglyle against us I think most thought it was over the top. Yet it was his choice and he now knows every city supporter will hate him forever.

Yet if he'd just punched the air who would give a ****. I don't really care either way if the celebration is normal.

Anyway to summarise Phillips can burn in hell, little ****-weasle.
Haha yeah agree with this. When Ryan ****ing Lowe scored for us against one of his many former clubs, the MK Dongs, last season, he celebrated with his top off and I loved it. If he scores against us in two weeks then let the little scouse weasel celebrate, I don't give a ****.

But when Clint Hill kissed the Oldham badge, that was too much. And I believe he regrets it to this day

We loan so many players that I'm pretty sure most league one and two players are ex Tranmere, a bit harsh to not lot any of them celebrate. Unless it's someone who was long serving and loved by the club, and they are in short supply this century tbf, then **** it. And even if they are, unless they are being provocative what does it really matter? They already scored it's not like celebrating it makes it count double

Ps I'm drunk. Gonna be a bad start to the week tomorrow

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Question for those who follow more if football than I do.

Has defending ever been more shabby at the top level? I've only seen highlights of the weekend's games, but how do you get to that level in a professional sport and be consistently guilty of ball watching?

Uppercut

In the Premiership it was worse in 2011/12. But it's probably at the stage where you couldn't even really call English football 'the top level' anymore. Atletico's defence last season was the best there'd been in years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think Premiership defences have on the whole been pretty suspect for a while now. There are obvs still some excellent defenders and/or defences, but on the whole I don't think the standard across the top teams is as good as it was ten years ago.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I don't think it's just English football. Maybe I'm just noticing it more but there seems to be more thrashings where a defence is completely taken apart than there used to be. Obviously there was Brazil at the World Cup, but also Bayern being taken apart by Real last year, Barca being taken apart by Bayern the year before and so on. There's also been a couple of Clasicos with a big margin of victory in the last three or four years, on top of the various one-sided contests among the big teams in English football last season. Not that this never happened before obviously but it seems to have happened more often in the last few years than it has done at any other time since I've been watching football.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's a lack of really top notch centre halfs.

People will lay into van Gaal for not going out and signing some quality defenders but I can't really think of anyone that would've been realistically available.

I also don't think defensive tactics have yet evolved the same way attacking tactics have in the last 10 years.

Uppercut

I don't think it's just English football. Maybe I'm just noticing it more but there seems to be more thrashings where a defence is completely taken apart than there used to be. Obviously there was Brazil at the World Cup, but also Bayern being taken apart by Real last year, Barca being taken apart by Bayern the year before and so on. There's also been a couple of Clasicos with a big margin of victory in the last three or four years, on top of the various one-sided contests among the big teams in English football last season. Not that this never happened before obviously but it seems to have happened more often in the last few years than it has done at any other time since I've been watching football.
There's a lack of really top notch centre halfs.

People will lay into van Gaal for not going out and signing some quality defenders but I can't really think of anyone that would've been realistically available.

I also don't think defensive tactics have yet evolved the same way attacking tactics have in the last 10 years.
Yeah there's definitely a tactical story going on too. Teams have realised that playing out from the back is essential, and this in turn makes pressing very effective. So centre-backs suddenly need to be both good on the ball and comfortable pressing high up the pitch, and youth development takes a while to catch up, so there aren't many players like that. So we're seeing CBs with these characteristics going for ridiculous prices just because there's so few of them- most notably David Luiz. Sergio Ramos would probably sell for about £60m, and he isn't even particularly good at defending in the traditional sense.

It's really interesting that we're seeing top sides demolish each other regularly too. I'm not sure that follows from defenders being bad. We're not seeing a lot of 4-3s or 6-5s, just a lot of 5-0s and 6-1s. I think it might be that teams are more inclined to play their own game at all times as a matter of principle- maybe another legacy of Pep's Barca. There's sort of a recurring theme in those thrashings of one team playing the game they always play and the other ruthlessly exploiting their weaknesses. Chelsea were the only team that really adjusted for the big games last season, and won almost all of them.