• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd place playoff - Brazil vs Netherlands

Spark

Global Moderator
12 JUL 2014 - 17:00 Local time
PLAY-OFF FOR THIRD PLACE
Estadio Nacional
Brasilia
BRAZIL v NETHERLANDS

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What if Brazil doesn't defend again, and the Dutch play negatively like they did today? Just be the ball sitting by itself in midfield with everyone watching.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They should abolish this match but tbf it often winds up being fairly entertaining

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd be shocked if the manager of the Brazilian football team isn't fired before this game.

I'll be watching. Purely for the 'how the hell will brazil react' factor.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can someone explain to me the point of figuring out who the second vs. the third loser is?
To be like the Olympics maybe? I dunno.

IMO it would be better as an early kick-off on the day of the final. A warm-up if you will.

watson

Banned
The 'third place' game is a parody that is little more a sad embarrassment to the players and their fans alike. You could argue that the game is a chance for the players to redeem themselves a bit, but I'm 99% sure that all the Brazilian and Dutch players want to do is to return home and put their feet up with their families and friends.

FIFA really needs to take a hard look at this piece sporting stupidity and dump it. After all, can anyone remember the third place winner from 1998, or even 2006 without Googling it? And even if the odd person does remember, do they really care?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The 'third place' game is a parody that is little more a sad embarrassment to the players and their fans alike. You could argue that the game is a chance for the players to redeem themselves a bit, but I'm 99% sure that all the Brazilian and Dutch players want to do is to return home and put their feet up with their families and friends.

FIFA really needs to take a hard look at this piece sporting stupidity and dump it. After all, can anyone remember the third place winner from 1998, or even 2006 without Googling it? And even if the odd person does remember, do they really care?
Croatia and Germany I think

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Van Persie to confirm the ridiculousness of this match by scoring four penalties and winning the Golden Boot.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Croatia and Germany. And no, I don't give a ****.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I remember the 3rd place playoff in 2002 as well, mainly because the Korean and Turkish teams all held hands and ran around the pitch together at the end. Was odd tstl.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread has more posts than the final, so I'm calling the match more important.

In reality it's pointless. We were in it in 1990 and I think me and my mates tried to make something out of it, but it was depressing. Just thinking what could have been.

Still it was an excuse for a bevvy, not that we needed much for one back then.

Don't think we even cheered when Platt scored, but I laffed at Shilton being crap in his last game, how was that not a pen BTW. I was always a bit of a **** TBH.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that Brazil have to play this game is hilarious.

I'd understand if the players didn't want to play this game, but they seem to quite enjoy it. You'd sort of expect depressing low-tempo games with nobody celebrating goals properly but that hasn't happened for ages.

I don't understand why fans object to it being played. What's wrong with just not watching it?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't object to it because it's normally great fun but if England were in it I'd probably baulk at it

Reminds me of when the whites got relegated in 2001 with a few games to go and on the last day of the season decided to parade the reserve championship trophy we'd won. Oh, **** off