• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

91Jmay

International Coach
Who are England overrated by? Is there anyone who doesn't think they are a good but flawed team who would been destroyed by any of the great or even good teams of the past.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
So is your view that England are better than Australia, but the English team are overrated by the media/fans, i.e. they are good but not as good as is claimed? Otherwise still can't argue with results - beating everyone except South Africa (obv. this series is still going and they're losing).
well of course they have more experience have played together longer. But I feel they are overrated as the teams they are playing against are not close to the teams 10 years ago that includes south africa.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
well of course they have more experience have played together longer. But I feel they are overrated as the teams they are playing against are not close to the teams 10 years ago that includes south africa.
I also believe the terminator would beat superman in a fight, but I guess we'll never know

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agree about Tremlett. He was picked on faith not form and looks to have been the wrong call. But if England's problem was a lack of fire power I can't see Onions' fixing that problem.
He wouldn't bowl them out single-handedly. And he may indeed struggle to make an impact at this level. But the selectors sem to have forgotten that Tremlett's call-up 3 years ago was based on a terrific season in the CC, which simply wasn't the case this year. They also seem to have forgotten that Bresnan made a perfectly useful contribution last time, so express pace and bounce isn't everything. My gripe about Onions' omission is that he appears to have been singled out for his poor performances in NZ, whereas the others have all been given opportunities since then. Performances in the CC, away from home as well as at Durham, seem to have counted for nothing this time.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He wouldn't bowl them out single-handedly. And he may indeed struggle to make an impact at this level. But the selectors sem to have forgotten that Tremlett's call-up 3 years ago was based on a terrific season in the CC, which simply wasn't the case this year. They also seem to have forgotten that Bresnan made a perfectly useful contribution last time, so express pace and bounce isn't everything. My gripe about Onions' omission is that he appears to have been singled out for his poor performances in NZ, whereas the others have all been given opportunities since then. Performances in the CC, away from home as well as at Durham, seem to have counted for nothing this time.
Did Onions play in NZ?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
tbf brez was our quickest bowler last time out. I agree about Onions though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, one of the reasons I was uneasy about the squad for this series was that Anderson aside, the bowling seems to have been selected on the basis that because Tremlett did so well 3 years ago, we need as many tall bowlers as possible.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wasn't online when it happened, but what was the reaction here when Cook was giving Warner/Clarke singles at the start of Clarke's innings to get him on strike?

200 runs behind.

To try and get the worlds best batsman on strike.

Riggins

International Captain
I was under the impression it was just to get him on strike once? Then he banged 2 fours off the bumpers and it went back to normal? Also didn't see it though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne commented on it later and was against it. I made an angry post about it because in the first innings Warne advocated giving up a single to get Trott on strike when he walked in.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Went on for a few overs iirc. They wanted him on strike to Broad asap. Not a terrible idea very early but the execution wasn't great and Clarke countered. Once he put a few away it should have been clear it wouldn't work. Sky comms were on board with trying it since they thought getting him early was the only chance of a low score.