• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

Meridio

International Regular
wtf is going on - this is a terrific game
Yeah, what the hell - tuned in about 10 minutes ago and England actually look quite good. I've been to 3 or 4 of their games recently and they were all dreary pieces of turd - what's going on?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well domne lads, and well done Hodgson, really made some blinding decisions here.

Still think Wellbeck and Sturridge aren't, in the end, international footballers, but their energy around Wayne and Gerrard really makes a difference. It's what management is about getting the best out of what you've got, no matter how limited. Townsend has been a revelation obvs.

Oh and having someone in central midfield, who can keep the ball, and coax attacks doesn't hurt either.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lol at Clive trying to make out Sturridge was being 'pushed and pulled' for that **** header when there was no one within 2 yards of him

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, what a game. England is pwning Poland. I didn't think Carrick+Gerrard with Carrick holding had the legs in it but it has worked beautifully as Gerrard has gotten up enough to dictate in their half too. Townsend and Baines providing really good width and delivery; Sturridge, Rooney and Welbeck are stretching them left and right too. Exciting game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well done lads, and well done Hodgson, really made some blinding decisions here.

Still think Wellbeck and Sturridge aren't, in the end, international footballers, but their energy around Wayne and Gerrard really makes a difference. It's what management is about getting the best out of what you've got, no matter how limited. Townsend has been a revelation obvs.

Oh and having someone in central midfield, who can keep the ball, and coax attacks doesn't hurt either.
All true. Brilliant match and a very good performance, especially in the last 20 minutes or so of that half. Shame about Sturridge's finishing, but I think you're right about his impact. We do look horrible when they break though, and Smalling simply isn't at the races in those situations. Plenty of squeaky bum moments to come, one suspects.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Baines is so good, and Poland seem to think they can just let him cross as much as he wants and it'll all be swaz.

Really good balance to this side, almost been caught out on the break a couple of times but you just have to accept that if you want to play attacking football.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think the midfield was a problem.

It's almost as if Hodgson had this change planned no matter what's happening in the game.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Deserved second. Poland didn't seem to care much for stealing a draw.

I really hope they play like this at the World Cup. Wouldn't be bringing Walcott back in when he's fit, unless they're going with one up front, and I'd take Baines over Cole too. Hopefully Carrick has his place now too but you never know.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done England, was looking a bit like our old selves for a while there, but i guess it's natural, and the scoreline isn't flattering us tonight:D