• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Wagner has played eight games. I'll give him a few more.
Also I'm probably still stuck in the fantasy world where Bracewell has built solidly upon his performance in hobart and hasn't horribly receded since.

The "ten cuts" was more referring to the likes of Sodhi and Bartin ftr

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wagner has played eight games. I'll give him a few more.
Also I'm probably still stuck in the fantasy world where Bracewell has built solidly upon his performance in hobart and hasn't horribly receded since.
I want to be in this fantasy land too tbh.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well, not strictly youth, but Wagner definitely got a rough cut imo. Boult, Southee, Milne, Wagner, Williamson would be my ideal world lineup with no injuries.
Even if we go with the untested (but hugely exciting) Milne, our best attack is Southee, Boult, Milne, Vettori.
My ideal attack (with a nod to the batting Vettori would hopefully provide) would be the latter, plus Williamson, except that the latter attack does not have a single bowler that can shoulder a large number of overs. Would be forced to look to someone like Anderson for extra overs, or compromise somewhere to bring in Wagner the workhorse.

Moot point though as I don't think Vettori will play another test.

Anyone think Sodhi could have overtaken Bartin in our selectors' eyes as number one spinner by the end of this series?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
My ideal attack (with a nod to the batting Vettori would hopefully provide) would be the latter, plus Williamson, except that the latter attack does not have a single bowler that can shoulder a large number of overs. Would be forced to look to someone like Anderson for extra overs, or compromise somewhere to bring in Wagner the workhorse.

Moot point though as I don't think Vettori will play another test.

Anyone think Sodhi could have overtaken Bartin in our selectors' eyes as number one spinner by the end of this series?
If Bartin keeps producing more filth of the kind that peppered his first 3 overs, then it's not unlikely. But in all truth, if Sodhi is the best spinner we have (which he absolutely is not) then even I'm willing to admit that 4-seamers would be our best option.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If Bartin keeps producing more filth of the kind that peppered his first 3 overs, then it's not unlikely. But in all truth, if Sodhi is the best spinner we have then even I'm willing to admit that 4-seamers would be our best option.
On a related note, I thought Kaneh's action looked less suspect yesterday. Though maybe that's just my wishful thinking that our best spinner is a long term bowling option.

Mike5181

International Captain
On a related note, I thought Kaneh's action looked less suspect yesterday. Though maybe that's just my wishful thinking that our best spinner is a long term bowling option.
It's strange that someone with such a nice batting technique ended up with such a dodgy bowling action.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
some stats:

Over the past 2 years, NZ's opening bowlers have been 3rd best in the world, narrowly behind Australia (South Africa clearly dominate) but ahead of Anderson and Broad.

Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 2.35.46 PM.png

On the other hand, bowlers 3-5 average 39. That's second to worst on the list - marginally better than Bangladesh, and worse than Zimbabwe.

Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 2.39.34 PM.png

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Does McHesson not rate Anderson's bowling. I thought he was supposed to be our Shane Watson and come on first change. Will he more be used as an Oram like bowler who gets through 5-10 overs a day?

My verdict on Bartin's first over is that it was worse than a piece of **** on toast.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am going to try to find some footage of Doug from a few years ago as he used to have such a magnificent action when he could swing it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
By good spinner in the Lord's Test, do you mean one that can score a fourth innings century? Otherwise that's a fairly lengthy bow you've drawn.

Give Ish a couple of years to learn his trade at FC level, rather than blooding him way, WAY too early and we might have one. History tells us that's unlikely to happen. Heaven forbid we get as bad at managing spinners as our trans-Tasman brothers

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
why didn't we have a 2nd slip? wait we had some funky new age half slip/half gully position instead.

Just as well baz is so good at t20 cricket.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Mominul has been riding his luck. Just bowl at his off stump rather than outside off stump and he will eventually do something daft. I don't rate this century.