• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What about if we won though. You don't think the benefit of a getting a win on the board in an otherwise disappointing series would have been a risk worth taking?
10 wickets inside 44 overs on this pitch was always going to be a very difficult task. Realistically what chance did we have of winning the match when we declared do you think? 3 per cent?

burr

State Vice-Captain
Losing a series by the biggest margin in the history of the Ashes while being competitive in most of the matches isn't appreciated by me.
I completely agree. I have no idea what Australia was thinking. It feels like hollow drama and a hollow contest because we've basically thrown the win at England. If anyone cared about the long-term future of Australian cricket they would have focused on giving our batsmen some time in the middle and racking up confidence against bowlers they're going to have to face again in a couple of months time. Only one team was ever going to win this match based on that declaration. Ten wickets in a session was never going to happen.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh that's bloody silly wide negative bowling, honestly when will these ozzies try to play the game in the right manner?

Poor show.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
25.1 Law 25.1 - Judging a Wide

Law 25 shall apply with the following addition to Law 25.1 (Judging a wide):

For bowlers attempting to utilise the rough outside a batsman’s leg stump, not necessarily as a negative tactic, the strict limited over wide interpretation shall be applied.

For bowlers whom umpires consider to be bowling down the leg side as a negative tactic, the strict limited over wide interpretation shall be applied.

Ruckus

International Captain
10 wickets inside 44 overs on this pitch was always going to be a very difficult task. Realistically what chance did we have of winning the match when we declared do you think? 3 per cent?
Not much. I also don't think Eng had much of a chance either. I don't think it was a reckless declaration at all.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Better captain though according to Warne.
I don't mind Clarke as a captain most of the time. I like his field placings and rotation of bowlers and there are times where I think Cook could without doubt be more aggressive and totally dominate the opposition. But we are losing 3 zip ffs. It wouldn't have been a bad thing for us to finish the day at 2-174 or something at the close of play.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If the umpires decide to go off, the teams should carry on, with Flower umpiring one end and Boof the other, like a school game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
25.1 Law 25.1 - Judging a Wide

Law 25 shall apply with the following addition to Law 25.1 (Judging a wide):

For bowlers attempting to utilise the rough outside a batsman’s leg stump, not necessarily as a negative tactic, the strict limited over wide interpretation shall be applied.

For bowlers whom umpires consider to be bowling down the leg side as a negative tactic, the strict limited over wide interpretation shall be applied.
It was always going to be you or Biryani Pillow who quoted the rule.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There's no way you can go off for light here... no way. Everything about that would be so wrong on so many levels.

Law 43, please, guys.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not much. I also don't think Eng had much of a chance either. I don't think it was a reckless declaration at all.
We've been bowling negatively for the past hour or so. Its done nothing positive for our team apart from getting some practice for the upcoming ODIs.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dar you really have had one of the all-time crap series, don't make it even worse.

I'm glad Burgey is awake though, to see Bell take us to a well-deserved victory.