• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not the system's fault but no point using it until you have off field umps of a certain quality.
For the love of god.....the 3rd umpires are part of the system mate. You can have all the technology in the world and it can be perfect....you still need someone to interpret it.

If the 3rd umpire is failing then the system is failing.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This series has been the worst imaginable for DRS. I sat on the fence with it for a long time but a few instances over the last couple of years turned me right off it.

Even though there was some shockers in the Eng/India series I actually found it really refreshing to be watching the game without this level of sheer incompetence,

I can live with on field umpires making bad decisions.........I cannot accept this ****....at all.
Yeah those LBWs for Cook when they were missing by about 2 stumps, and massively outside the line, were really refreshing. See I've remembered them, and I'm still bitter, needed to trounce India more.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah those LBWs for Cook when they were missing by about 2 stumps, and massively outside the line, were really refreshing. See I've remembered them, and I'm still bitter, needed to trounce India more.
Guess who made those shockers for Cook in Nagpur....

Pothas

And poor Samit. Poor, poor Samit.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Then the answer is better umpires, not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Had there been no DRS, Khawaja would have been given out and the thread would have been full of people moaning about why we weren't using technology which would have helped overturn a shocker.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL, the Aussies here seem remarkable calm about that travesty.......reckon I'm more worked up about it than you lot!!

grecian

Nah come on. I think it's pretty fair to say we would've have been talking about it non stop for half an hour if there was no DRS. But that's because the on field decision wasn't as bad as the tv one.

I'm still a fan of DRS, and would always stress that it would've remained out without it, and I think more moaning is a pretty bad reason to not have it, but it's definitely true.
I don't understand your reply. you may have mean wouldn't have, but I really disagree it would have been talked about, and it was, I wasn't contributing, but I was reading then, blimey a certain poster called Shane Warne went on and on all series.

Anyway, Lunch Break so not much else to talk about.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL, the Aussies here seem remarkable calm about that travesty.......reckon I'm more worked up about it than you lot!!
There is only so much that can be expressed in words when something like this happens...

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slow Love™;3108456 said:
That 3rd umpire decision was the worst thing I've ever seen, surpasses that ****** in 1986 (yes, I went there anyway).
And I thought 3 months off CW was a long time....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well obviously the umpire on the field, same system as now, but with trained geeks (for the want of a better word), to do the third ump bit. Is PEWS available, anything that keeps him off Crickweb is a good thing surely?
I'd have my own thread where I explained each of my controversial decisions. CW would go off.

social

We have less of them though.

A system doesn't have to produce no shockers to be better than the previous system, i.e. no DRS. It just has to produce less shockers.

The point about how long it takes and it detracting from the spectacle is entirely different. Not sure I agree, but at least it's a fair enough point. Saying that the DRS is no improvement decision-wise compared to just having on field umpires however just makes no sense to me.
But it isn't producing less shockers in this series

The Broad (no review due to DRS rules), Trott, Bell, Khawaja and even Rogers decisions in the first test were horrible

Without DRS, we'd be having healthy debate

With DRS, people are simply assuming that the umps are total incompetents and also questioning the technology

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Had there been no DRS, Khawaja would have been given out and the thread would have been full of people moaning about why we weren't using technology which would have helped overturn a shocker.
Maybe I'm not "normal", but pre DRS I was never, ever an umpire whinger. England could be on the wrong end of an absolute shocker and I just couldn't get myself worked up about it....it really never fazed me. Cop it sweet and move on.

But this.....this really grinds my gears and I hate that this crap system has made me a whinger!!!

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon it's the whole burden of proof thing that is ****ing with DRS, maybe 3rd umps should have free range just to call it as they see it

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But it isn't producing less shockers in this series

The Broad (no review due to DRS rules), Trott, Bell, Khawaja and even Rogers decisions in the first test were horrible

Without DRS, we'd be having healthy debate

With DRS, people are simply assuming that the umps are total incompetents and also questioning the technology
I dunno about you, but I'm wondering whether at least one of them is corrupt.