• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
G'day Adders! Long time no chat mate. I bet you're looking forward to tomorrow night? I know I am!
Pumped for it Harry. Man I swear I've even got the last night nerves going on!!

6 weeks of too much beer and not enough sleep..........my boss is gonna just love me.

Spark

Global Moderator
No need for alarm Spark. Harry and PieMan are both goodens and know their cricket, I told em to check this place out (never thought they'd arrive within 5 mins of each other though!!) Both are One Eyed Aussie Gits so if I can get on with them anyone can.
Haha, just joking around of course.

Welcome to CW both of you.

Handsome Harry

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pumped for it Harry. Man I swear I've even got the last night nerves going on!!

6 weeks of too much beer and not enough sleep..........my boss is gonna just love me.
I'm on holidays and the wife and billy lids are away for the next week :)

I'm very excited. I reckon the results will go the way of your blokes, but this'll be interesting from an Oz perspective to see if Patto, and Starc can step up and establish themselves as world class bowlers. Hughes has some demons to exorcise and Smith and Uzzie have a chance to cement a spot. I also reckon the next ten Tests will decide how Watto's career will be remembered.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Allrighty....now that we all know each other, theres a test match starting tomorrow.:D

Big toss to win I reckon, certainly will be bat first. Can the Aussie top 4 stand up if they get first go??
More importantly, what's on everyone's menu?

Contemplated firing up the barbie and cooking a rib-eye on the bone in celebration but the good wife has offered a chicken parmi with sweet potato chips

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I think both teams will bat if they win the toss. Got more confidence in our bowling tbh. Anderson bowling at Twatto makes me nervous. Might be a good toss to lose.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm on holidays and the wife and billy lids are away for the next week :)

I'm very excited. I reckon the results will go the way of your blokes, but this'll be interesting from an Oz perspective to see if Patto, and Starc can step up and establish themselves as world class bowlers. Hughes has some demons to exorcise and Smith and Uzzie have a chance to cement a spot. I also reckon the next ten Tests will decide how Watto's career will be remembered.
I'm off work all this week so first test taken care of without having to worry about early starts, after that it will have to be a couple of Red Bulls for breakfast each morning and suck it up.

I'm quietly confident for this home series, I think the difference in the two batting line-ups will be too great in our own conditions, but I do have major concerns for the return leg in Oz......I think the Aussies have every chance of taken us down in their own backyard. So in 6 months after a marathon of 10 tests you grubby bastards could well have your hands back on the urn.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's pretty clear why. There aren't that many strong Cricket nations really. Australia have been for a very long time one of the strongest. It has played a huge part in Cricket's history. When it is lost it will be damming on Cricket.

Not to mention it will be the death knell for Test Cricket. The Ashes is one of the only things that keeps Test Cricket relevant nowadays. No Australia, no Ashes, no more Test Cricket.
More arrogant crap.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Supposed to be cloudy and humid tomorrow morning, might be a bowling day. Might be a decent toss to lose.
Bat bat bat. Teams have struggled at TB in the 1st innings from time to time but the track just keeps on seaming. The 4th innings average there in recent years is something like 17

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Supposed to be cloudy and humid tomorrow morning, might be a bowling day. Might be a decent toss to lose.
Right, haven't checked the forecast in a few days.....that will make it interesting. If there is cloud cover you're right could be a good one to lose.

Handsome Harry

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but interesting fact... both Captains play their 92nd Test match tomorrow. That means they'll face each other in Test match 100 in the Oz summer (barring injury to Clarke or surprise sacking if Cook loses this series!).

Ruckus

International Captain
They are both in your face, but the similarity kind of ends there for me. Pattinson is quicker, more aggressive and is a proper outswing bowler with the new ball. Glad to see someone of note backing Bird.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
More arrogant crap.
TBH I reckon it's better for world cricket as a whole if Australia is strong.

But that's because I reckon it's better for world cricket as a whole if all teams are strong.

Nobody wants to watch absolute mismatches series after series; bunched-up world rankings (preferably with Australia on top because I can't be completely objective :p) is the best thing for the game of cricket as a whole. And to be fair, that is where cricket is right now. All of the top 8 nations are capable of beating each other on their respective days and have produced some great cricket in recent times. England deservingly go into this series as favourites, but we're definitely not looking at the complete mismatches that were 2001 and 2010/11.

This 'without 'Straya dominating Test cricket will die' rubbish is absolute bull**** though; add nationalistic on top of the 'arrogant crap' label.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
That is interesting though you can't help but think Clarkes back will mess that possibility up, KP is on 94 so he will bring up his ton in Oz aswell.