• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If that had have been Prior keeping, he'd have been the other side of the stumps and it would have been run out. Discuss.

Meridio

International Regular
Suicidal run from Bell, very lucky to get in.

Anyone think Watling was just a fraction slow to remove the bails? And he took it a reasonable distance back from the stumps.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If that had have been Prior keeping, he'd have been the other side of the stumps and it would have been run out. Discuss.
Thought that too - many keepers, especially those that keep in limited overs, would have caught the ball earlier and gained a fraction of a second.

Meridio

International Regular
If the keeper stands in front of the stumps it negates any chance of a direct hit, so it's not a worthwhile tactic imo.
Don't think people are talking about standing in front of the stumps - more reaching with the hands to get them in front.

Southee! Thought it looked plumb live and was reasonably sure it was pad first. Hooray for DRS!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just wish the NZ bowlers were more consistent with their line/length. Seems every over there's at least one if not two loose deliveries.

Edit: And as I criticise them they get a wicket !

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If the keeper stands in front of the stumps it negates any chance of a direct hit, so it's not a worthwhile tactic imo.
How many times do you get a direct hit? 10%?
How many extra frames do you lose by taking the ball in front and bringing it on? 2?

How many times can you do things quicker by taking it in front? 50%
How many frames do you gain? 4?

It's a no-brainer if you're good enough to effect the takes.

Right, come on Yorkshire...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Don't think people are talking about standing in front of the stumps - more reaching with the hands to get them in front.

Southee! Thought it looked plumb live and was reasonably sure it was pad first. Hooray for DRS!
Either or. Watling needs to take some blame for that because it wasn't great on his part.

Meanwhile we're in the **** again

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly the sort of decision DRS is for. not even a howler by the umpire as it was marginal in real time as to whether it was pad first or bat. great to see the correct decisions coming for things like that now though even if it is bad for my lot.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Urghh, was just talking to my old man about how the best way to try and win would be to bat once and just get as many as possible (i.e. not worry about the run rate) looks like our last chance of doing that is gone.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
How many times do you get a direct hit? 10%?
How many extra frames do you lose by taking the ball in front and bringing it on? 2?

How many times can you do things quicker by taking it in front? 50%
How many frames do you gain? 4?

It's a no-brainer if you're good enough to effect the takes.

Right, come on Yorkshire...
You don't gain anything from taking the ball in front, because the ball travels faster through the air than in the the gloves. The ball should be taken as close to directly above the stumps as possible. I wasn't watching Watling's positioning particularly carefully, though so it's a fair criticism if he was too far back.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nice to see someone with the balls to be creative and unorthodox with captaincy.

Particularly refreshing after watching deep points for six weeks with Cook v Dhoni in India...