• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
They'd pick Bracewell if they were going to go in with four seamers. Butler would be ahead of those guys as well.

Jezroy

State Captain
Someone needs to figure out how to get some spice back into that pitch for next year. The PAK - NZ game a few years ago was on an excellent test wicket (Amir and co ripping through our "top order" on day one, then good batting wicket, then Bond/O'Brien/Vettori come into their own on the fifth day), but as shown by the FC games there this season, Life Isn't A Highway, the University Oval is.

Even last years SA/NZ test was a much better pitch.

Jezroy

State Captain
You probably wouldn't change the batting line up at all for the second test.

Any changes to the bowling?

Wagner "Steamed in all day" and probably did enough to keep his place.

Boult continued being Boult, NO WICKETS, but generally demanding.

Southee... Appeared to be back to his non-best, hopefully Bond can kick his arse again.

Martin appears to be as good a spin option as anyone (even though he was gifted wickets in the first innings, I think he could still get some turn on more helpful pitches).

So Bracewell appears to Doug himself a wee hole. Hopefully someone cuts him a break so he can get his foot back in the door. The glass door.

Mike5181

International Captain
Consider Doug vs Martin for one of the bowling spots. Other than that, same team. Can't kick Wagner after taking 7 @ 26 in this test match.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Fine - Wasn't Rigor a drunk student in Dunedin at one point?

He sure made some modifications to The Block.

In terms of post-match worries, the biggest one would be the fact that Neil ****ing Wagner got as much movement as any of our bowlers. Really do hope it was just a glitch with Southee and Boult.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
love you bell
He really is right down there in the list of the least intelligent cricketers you could wish to see. At least the Root dismissal wasn't likely to cost us very much,but honestly .....

One of the more forgettable test matches; shockingly poor wicket, of course. The one plus for England will be Compton's century, which may set him up for the future. It won't do his confidence any harm, anyway.

What's the talk about KP being out of the next match?

Flametree

International 12th Man
I don't understand all the hate for the wicket. Yes, I've seen livelier tracks, and even at the University Oval, but the match lasted 340 overs. If it had gone the full 450, it seems like there would have been a result, though it's possible Bell, Prior, Broad and Anderson might have batted long enough to ensure a draw.

I knew it wouldn't be easy but I was a little disappointed by the bowlers. Did anyone bowl a decent yorker all day for instance?We just didn't have anyone capable of doing something out of the ordinary. Can't help feeling even an Astle (Nathan) / Coney type of bowler to come on and wobble the ball around a bit might have made life difficult for Finn.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It was boring in the end but this is a funny old game because at the early stages the kiwis were dreaming of a win here but you just knew once Cook and Compton got in in that second innings the game was over,

Now NZ are gonna be really tested in the second game, the England batters won't be surprised anymore and their bowlers looked much better towards the end of NZ's innings, it should be much more exciting to watch than this first game thats for sure.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't understand all the hate for the wicket. Yes, I've seen livelier tracks, and even at the University Oval, but the match lasted 340 overs. If it had gone the full 450, it seems like there would have been a result, though it's possible Bell, Prior, Broad and Anderson might have batted long enough to ensure a draw.

I knew it wouldn't be easy but I was a little disappointed by the bowlers. Did anyone bowl a decent yorker all day for instance?We just didn't have anyone capable of doing something out of the ordinary. Can't help feeling even an Astle (Nathan) / Coney type of bowler to come on and wobble the ball around a bit might have made life difficult for Finn.
Err Finn just lasted over 200 balls batting at 3 coming in against the new ball?

No way you'd get a result on that pitch if teams bat competently.