• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Even Jayawardene and Tendulkar are better players of spin than Clarke, and Lara against spin comfortably outclasses them. Two times Clarke is fair imo.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well that was a devastating last session for Australia wasn't it? i did express my concerns earlier in the piece but people tried to mock me!! :huh: , i just tell it as it is, that top order aren't good enough to represent Australia imo, and after making a brave declaration the fact that Clark wasn't confident enough to give his spinner at least an over on that turning track speaks volumes really.

Tomorrow they'll have to come out swinging big time, a quick three wicket burst might change things but if India get to lunch only two down then i think they'll be on course for at least a 150 run lead, and on that track that's gonna be tough to get by imo, it's not looking good for the Aussies.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Jono is in Hyderabad? I am out of town else would've gone to the stadium. Cod have met him too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He may have played Murali mate, but what did he do against him? Lara in 2001 shredded Murali to bits on Murali's home turf. Kumble was hardly what you'd call a spinner in the strictest sense of the word, more a medium pacer who could tweak it a bit. Hardly a big turner of the ball. In any case Kumble was well past his zenith when Clarke played him. Garbhajan has always sucked aside from 2001 so doesn't count in my eyes. Lara dominated Warne and Murali. I am sorry but Jadeja, Garbhajan and Chuckjal don't compare.
Well, if you decide to discount all the blokes Clarke has ever done well against in order to boost your own pov then your opinion will always be worthless, frankly.

Which, tbf, it plainly was before your last post anyway. There is no way on this earth or any other that Lara was twice the player of spin, or more, that Clarke is. It's a ridiculous point of view. It's one thing to say he was better, but it's absurd to say Lara was Clarke squared against spinners. He just wasn't.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the most disappointing days for Oz in recent test history (and there have been plenty of them)

Spineless batting on a good pitch and seriously ****ed selections from people who obviously see the game very differently to the rest of the world

I can see India taking a 300 run lead plus a 2-0 lead and it will be no less than they deserve

Er, because those Tests had Murali playing in them?
I repeat, how does that show how well he did against Murali? Average in matches involving a player isn't the same as average against a particular bowler. You would think the statsguru friends would do their homework but apparently not! And Burgey, as I said, I am not discounting anything Clarke did. I have just said he plays spin bowling with remarkable alacrity. I just think he gets overrated a little wrt spin play. A level above him you have the Sidhus, Jayawardenes and Tendulkars and a level above that you have the Laras, Vvs' and Zaheers. I don't think Clarke would have played Murali half as well as Lara did in 2001, and Warne would have beaten him to the pulp 9 out of 10 times. Garby, Gashwin, Gardeja, Chuckjal and Ferath combined can hope to be 2 per cent as good as Warne and Murali.

Spark

Global Moderator
I repeat, how does that show how well he did against Murali? Average in matches involving a player isn't the same as average against a particular bowler. You would think the statsguru friends would do their homework but apparently not! And Burgey, as I said, I am not discounting anything Clarke did. I have just said he plays spin bowling with remarkable alacrity. I just think he gets overrated a little wrt spin play. A level above him you have the Sidhus, Jayawardenes and Tendulkars and a level above that you have the Laras, Vvs' and Zaheers. I don't think Clarke would have played Murali half as well as Lara did in 2001, and Warne would have beaten him to the pulp 9 out of 10 times. Garby, Gashwin, Gardeja, Chuckjal and Ferath combined can hope to be 2 per cent as good as Warne and Murali.
Mate if you don't think averaging 200 against a side which relied heavily on a particular bowler showed that he had few issues against that particular bowler then I really don't know what to say to you.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think your summary of where he stands relative to other great players of spin is pretty accurate with the exception of him vs Murali - if Ponting could work him out, Clarke would

Whilst i still have some doubts about him against short-pitched stuff, still reckon that he has become a pretty special player and better all-round than many on that list (e.g. Sidhu, Jaywardene, Zaheer and VVS)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Garbhajan and Gashwin :laugh:

He may be talking about guff about Clarke but he's adding some ripper nicknames that will stick IMO.