• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
McClenaghan has a worse record with the ball than Jimmy Neeshan in the Plunket Shield this season. Let's wait a while before talking him up.
In all fairness he's bowled on the outer oval highway for all but one of his games. Without looking at numbers, he'd be well off if not for the Wellington runfest. And in spells I saw he was constantly menacing in short sharp bursts, especially against Otago when they almost snuck a last day victory.

I'm constantly impressed with the way he's handling himself both onfield and in the media on this tour. He's come a long way from the kid who snuck into Southees debut Test press conference as a spectator with a cheeky grin and a few suds under his belt

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
OK, so we all know that after every 2nd division county season where Franklin takes his customary bag of wickets we get our hopes up he's taking bowling seriously again, only for him to average 50 with bat and ball in the Plunket Shield, but the below might be good for cautious optimism...
Interesting that Franky is resisting any temptation to get these journos to put 'james franklin 2007 knee injury' into google before they write these pieces. He seems relaxed about people thinking he really did lose nothing in a physical sense by the end of that, but merely gained an appreciation for the fact that bowling is deeply, deeply lame. Crossfit training and broccoli diets? **** me.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cricinfo not even mentioning Wagner in their pre-game article; 4th bowler role going to one of the Martin's with Patel playing. Middle order of Kane, Brownlie, Flynn, Watling and Franky at 7.

Bit worried about Kane at 3 - he's not really an opener...

Edit: so he'll probably come in with 20-30 runs on the board: Baz and Gups away partnerships

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bit worried about Kane at 3 - he's not really an opener...
Yeah. I've said this before, but I think him and Flynn should switch positions.

Bruce Martin definitely won't play unless Jeets is injured. Kim Littlejohn said exactly that. The reason why they didn't pick Astle is that they don't foresee playing 2 spinners, and in the even of a Patel injury, they don't want to have to pick a spinner who'll be expensive.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah. I've said this before, but I think him and Flynn should switch positions.

Bruce Martin definitely won't play unless Jeets is injured. Kim Littlejohn said exactly that. The reason why they didn't pick Astle is that they don't foresee playing 2 spinners, and in the even of a Patel injury, they don't want to have to pick a spinner who'll be expensive.
Yeha him and Flynn would be a good swap. Earlier in this thread I 'picked' a 3-5 of Flynn, Williamson and Brownlie, but Flynn/Brownlie/Williamson would be a better combo.

And didn't see earlier what Littejohn had said. Makes sense though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really don't like the idea of pushing Flynn to 3 and Williamson back to 5. For starters, both of them have been moved around the order enough as it is, including Flynn's first stint in the side where he was 6 then 3 then couldn't cut it and was dropped.

Williamson will be a good 3 if/when he stops flirting with those deliveries early on in the channel outside offstump.

Flynn has shown signs of reclaiming some of that 'gritty' style of batting that he used in his first period playing for NZ, and I guess that wouldn't be bad if he was up the order, however fact is he still loves that slash shot and that will get him in trouble vs the new ball. Furthermore, even though I'm perfectly happy with his technique in general, he does defend with an angled bat to mid-off/cover and that's not good vs new ball either.

It's also imo a bit of a myth that numbers 5 and 6 should be your best players of spin in the side (which I think is part of the reason some people want Williamson at 5). Williamson at 3 will face plenty of spin bowling if he gets through the early overs. While batting at 5 means you generally still face a lot of the new ball if you play for NZ :happy:.

Flem274*

123/5
In the paper this morning Bond is on record as saying he's been working with Bracewell to get the outswing back, so hopefully this myth of him being a bang it in bowler can finally be put to bed and we can avoid turning a good swing bowler into a mediocre classical third seamer.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In the paper this morning Bond is on record as saying he's been working with Bracewell to get the outswing back, so hopefully this myth of him being a bang it in bowler can finally be put to bed and we can avoid turning a good swing bowler into a mediocre classical third seamer.
Bond seems to be one of our key assets.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I will be happy if 3 batsmen reach 50, someone apart from Boult picks up wickets and Bruce Martin stays on the sidelines, he's the spin equivalent of Arnel :ph34r:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So McCullum wins the toss & NZ bat first on a pitch with a few cracks. Was always going to be our only chance for mine.