• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saker rates attack as good as great Australians

FBU

International Debutant
Do you know if it's something that's done intentionally or taught to seam bowlers?
England have only recently found out about the wobble ball. Picked it up from Asif. I would think it was intentional from McGrath. Philander also makes use of it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Do you know if it's something that's done intentionally or taught to seam bowlers?
I think it might be actually. Dominic Cork has claimed that it's actually more effective that way because it can land on either side of the seam and go either way. I think Philllander does it intentionally but I'm not completely sure.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen some fast bowlers who employ grips or alter little things which made seam movement in a certain direction more likely. I mean, you'd think it's impossible to have complete control over it because you're relying on how the surface responds to the ball, but the best practitioners do have some control over how to seam the ball about.
Sure, but to have the same control over swing both ways is a lot less likely.

And scrambled seams are a regular occurance these days, and purposely so. Another one is bowling cross seam on an abrasive wicket, looking to wear one side of the ball and reverse it - seeing throwing the ball into neighbouring wickets is (supposed) to be illegal, I believe?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I don't see why using your environment to your advantage should be deemed illegal.

But a bowler who can swing the ball one way and seam it one way is just as special as someone who could swing the ball both ways because they can then produce those dangerous deliveries which swing and then seam all at the same time.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
If you see the fairly often posted footage of McGrath miked-up and doing over Warner in the T20 game a few years back, he talks you through te whole shebang. A couple back into him and one across for a catch, I think he says.

*WOW* Glenn McGrath vs David Warner 2009 - All Star match - YouTube
The celebration cracks me up.

McGrath, what a hero!

Look there's Warne, his partner in crime, coming in to congratulate him. WAG!

And now Gilchrist! Woah this is an all star cast!

Wow there's...Krejza...

uvelocity

International Coach
look at 0:32 how the seam is angled towards slips

to seam the other way angle the seam towards fine leg

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see why using your environment to your advantage should be deemed illegal.

But a bowler who can swing the ball one way and seam it one way is just as special as someone who could swing the ball both ways because they can then produce those dangerous deliveries which swing and then seam all at the same time.
Yeah, I guess it ultimately is about results. Warne actually became a far better bowler IMO when he relied on his stock leg break with varying degrees of spin and air than when he tried to do too much with it. Is Warne any less of a bowler than Murali who span it both ways? Ironically, a lot of people say Murali was better when he didn't rely on the Doosra so much.

In terms of swing, even then is it better than seaming it? McGrath tended to get bounce and seam on anything. Imran and many of the Pakistanis who relied on swing did better at home than away (where you'd think they'd have more to work with). Is Anderson better than Steyn because he can swing it both ways? I don't think he comes close. So there aren't clear cut answers.

McGrath on how he bowls.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you see the fairly often posted footage of McGrath miked-up and doing over Warner in the T20 game a few years back, he talks you through te whole shebang. A couple back into him and one across for a catch, I think he says.

*WOW* Glenn McGrath vs David Warner 2009 - All Star match - YouTube
Also, this:

Shane Warne tells TV viewers how he'll dismiss Brendon McCullum - YouTube

He picks the shot McCullum is going to play :laugh: After he takes him: "Never try and sweep two!" :laugh:

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
The bit about how he sort off 'turns off' after working out what ball he wants to bowl and then plays a song in his head is the most telling feature of why he was so successful imo. Pretty everyone has experienced in sport before that when you think too much about doing something, you usually screw it up. The process of consciously thinking about something often seems to disrupt your ability to perform the action fluently. That's a serious talent to be able to do that so consistently though imo. Turning off like that, especially in pressure situations, is pretty damn hard to do.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bit about how he sort off 'turns off' after working out what ball he wants to bowl and then plays a song in his head is the most telling feature of why he was so successful imo. Pretty everyone has experienced in sport before that when you think too much about doing something, you usually screw it up. The process of consciously thinking about something often seems to disrupt your ability to perform the action fluently. That's a serious talent to be able to do that so consistently though imo. Turning off like that, especially in pressure situations, is pretty damn hard to do.
Daft as it is when I play bowls I generally play so much better when I relax more and play a tune in my head all game, always has to be the same tune though. If I change it my mind wanders. Obviously a totally different level but the only time i'll ever claim to be on a par with the great man.:laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I read something in another player's biography (I think it was Adam Gilchrist) where he said when they held meetings to discuss where they were going to bowl to certain players McGrath would just say "top of off". It really is that simple basically.

I think where you can get yourself in trouble as a bowler is when you worry about what the batsman is doing and make them the focus as you run in. When you're bowling well it's almost like the batsman isn't even there.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I read something in another player's biography (I think it was Adam Gilchrist) where he said when they held meetings to discuss where they were going to bowl to certain players McGrath would just say "top of off". It really is that simple basically.

I think where you can get yourself in trouble as a bowler is when you worry about what the batsman is doing and make them the focus as you run in. When you're bowling well it's almost like the batsman isn't even there.
Yeah it was Gilchrists book.

smash84

The Tiger King
McG what a gun.........although I wonder how would some of the shorter bowlers agree with bowling top of off stump

I think one of the biggest reasons for McG's success was the awkward bounce he would get from a good length

Son Of Coco

McG what a gun.........although I wonder how would some of the shorter bowlers agree with bowling top of off stump

I think one of the biggest reasons for McG's success was the awkward bounce he would get from a good length
I don't think height makes too much difference, as long as you're not a midget.

Son Of Coco

but height with that high arm action definitely does I think.

Courtney Walsh, Joel Garner, and McG come to mind
It helps if you're going to be playing for your country. I think top of off is top of off though generally speaking. Again, within reason. I'm not sure a bloke who's 5 foot tall trying to hit the top of off would be that threatening. Although, if he was bowling 150 clicks it would be difficult to face.