• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The weather these days is just awesome though. Perfectly pleasant in the mornings and chilly in the evenings.

Your brother lives in Abu Dhabi?

I do plan to attend some of the matches (most probably the ones in Sharjah and Dubai)
Good luck with that :p

pavops

Cricket Spectator
V glad to read all the points made both in support and against my article. I agree that there's plenty of mucky hands about, now and historically, but the UAE issue just chimed because of Davies and because it was the ECB that brought up human rights as there reason for not allowing the Zim tour a couple of years back. It does indeed get very murky when playing human rights abuse top trumps, which is basically why I think the ECB have made a rod for their own back in citing them. What's the scale they use? Where is the line drawn between Zimbabwe and the UAE?

I think the issue does warrant a debate, so cheers for having it.

You're not serious about that are you? Because if you are, that is an extremely pathetic, ignorant and insensitive statement you just made.

Secondly, I was not just talking about the past. Even as early as 2003, Britain went into an illegal war and occupied a sovereign nation based on a lie and committed war crimes and serious human rights abuses.
Australia currently have a 'boat people' issue where people are being kept under the most inhuman conditions on a place called Christmas Island.. Lots of people (including minors) have already died due to the political shenanigans taking place regarding the issue.
Plus till this day, there is a vast disparity in the standards of living, health, employment etc between indigenous communities and the rest of the Australian population.

Sri Lankan government has committed serious war crimes as recently as 2009 against Tamil people, not to mention the decades of discrimination and war waged against them

Pakistan government has committed human rights abuses in its tribal areas by sending its military and bombing them **** out of those areas which have killed many innocent people including women and children.

The Indian government is currently involved in a war against its tribal/indigenous people, kicking them out of their own homes, destroying villages in order to free up space for multinational companies like Coca Cola. Many villages don't have access to water now because all the water is being used up in factories.

The Bangladesh government has sent its military into an area called Chittagong Hill Tracks and committed mass murder and rape against the indigenous people there because they asked for a separate state.

I am not comparing one country's record with another because I don't think you can put a value to human suffering. All I said was, that very few nations in the world have a good human rights record because nation states by their very nature are violent institutions. Most nations have been founded after a violent conflict either internal or external. Hence, if human rights record is a criteria for choosing a cricketing venue, we will not be able to play cricket anywhere.

This is going to be my final word on this issue. I am not trying to defend UAE by any means. My point was, everyone has got their hands dirty. I am sorry to be the person to break this to you but if you thought the world was a place from those Disney cartoons and UAE was the only nation doing dirty things, you are wrong.

Woodster

International Captain
Can't wait to see us back in Test action, seems like it's been a long time coming. Good news on the Bell and Broad front with both being passed fit to play, roll on the toss!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's going to be a cracker of a series. Shame that there won't be many people attending in the stadium. I would be there in a heartbeat if I could.

Woodster

International Captain
It's going to be a cracker of a series. Shame that there won't be many people attending in the stadium. I would be there in a heartbeat if I could.
I expect the cricket to be intruiging if not exciting. Patience seems the keyword, and maintaining your discipline for long periods at a time even if you don't appear to be going anywhere fast.

Going to be fascinating how England play Ajmal, and whether our pace bowling unit can prove their effectiveness in less than helpful conditions. Expect this Pakistan line-up to make it tough for us to claim 20 wickets.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I expect the cricket to be intruiging if not exciting. Patience seems the keyword, and maintaining your discipline for long periods at a time even if you don't appear to be going anywhere fast.

Going to be fascinating how England play Ajmal, and whether our pace bowling unit can prove their effectiveness in less than helpful conditions. Expect this Pakistan line-up to make it tough for us to claim 20 wickets.
Have to admit that I found the Pakistan v Sri Lanka series bloody boring and slept through most of it as a result. This should be a much better series and not only for the fact I care about the outcome. Need to take wickets with the new ball and have faith that we will do.

Got to try and sleep now I guess, 6am is just dire.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I was going to try and follow the SL-Pakistan series, but even my patience is less than that required to watch day after day of 2rpo with not that many wickets falling on a dead pitch in a neutral series where I don't especially care about either team.

Not that 2rpo can't be interesting, but it was a "defensive" 2rpo, where no one was bothering to push the game along.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah but not live, replay's on at 10:15 tonight :(
Wow I can't believe that.

England test series are almost always showed live on Fox Sports no matter who they are playing.

Horrible that they are showing live ODIs between SA and SL instead of this.

ffs

smash84

The Tiger King
awta

Yeah I was going to try and follow the SL-Pakistan series, but even my patience is less than that required to watch day after day of 2rpo with not that many wickets falling on a dead pitch in a neutral series where I don't especially care about either team.

Not that 2rpo can't be interesting, but it was a "defensive" 2rpo, where no one was bothering to push the game along.
I see that you are loving the new Pakistan team :p

ajdude

International Coach
Wow I can't believe that.

England test series are almost always showed live on Fox Sports no matter who they are playing.

Horrible that they are showing live ODIs between SA and SL instead of this.

ffs
exactly, i'd say they have the rights to sa v sl and nz v zim, maybe they have too much on their plate as it is, still :\

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The weather is set fair gentleman, Howard's spies inform me.

With the Big Bash on, they probably wanted the Cricket audience following that instead.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can someone explain to me why a Test match doesn't start or end on a weekend? :@
Today's Tuesday. It's meant to end on the weekend. Perhaps it's school holidays in Dubai? Smali your in school still aren't you?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Today's Tuesday. It's meant to end on the weekend. Perhaps it's school holidays in Dubai? Smali your in school still aren't you?
I meant take advantage of Fri, Sat, and Sun. Ideally, the Test should start on Friday, to give the maximum chance of all 3 of days being utilized.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gul
Cheema
Riaz/Junaid

I don't think there is a need for two lefties. So it's either Riaz or Junaid. I would take Riaz because of his speed.

My bowling line-up for the first Test

Gul
Riaz
Ajmal
Cheema

I would not have 2 spinners. Hafeez can do a good enough job.
Why is there a need for two righties is there's not a need for two lefties? Two of one hand and one of the other hand is the same thing either way. Just pick your best three quicks.