• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Ireland v England at Dublin

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Sadly we need Rankin, I do think if you look at his figures he is better in the long formats of the game and not so much in ODI's and T20's,

I'll try not to keep going on and on but I think if we could have had a team of,

Joyce, Stirling, Porterfield, N'Ob, Marshall, Cusack, K'Ob, Murtagh, Mooney, Dockrell, Rankin/Johnston, then it's a team to compete strongly with anyone,

and someday soon Joyce to make a new top score for Ireland :happy:...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well one thing the ECB could do, if they do pick our top players then maybe help financially with for example, the Hamish Marshall case,

Ireland news: Hamish Marshall's international future in jeopardy | Ireland Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

I feel if we could add in Marshall and Murtagh to that team it would really help strengthen it a lot, if Ireland is to lose players then we should be able to replace them with other strong players,

I imagine since Tim Murtagh hasn't played for England and he can gain an Irish passport, then it's just a financial reason why he isn't playing for Ireland?, or unless we don't want him, which seems strange :)...
I'm not sure what you want the ECB to do? Pay Gloucs incentive payments for Marshall being England qualified when he isn't?

IMO the incentive payments have been pretty effective at cutting down the no. of kolpaks knocking about in county cricket so I can't see them being removed any time soon. (Also if you made an exception for Marshall you'd probably have to make an exception for every EU national)

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Well I meant if the ECB want to pick Irish players then they could help financially as the big brother to help Ireland,

of course they don't have to, just an idea when Ireland are missing our on Morgan then something could be done by ECB or ICC to help Ireland in return, why should we lose out because we produced a good cricketer :mellow:...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How would Marshall playing for Ireland affect his eligibility for England anyway? A player can play for Ireland one day and England the next.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
of course they don't have to, just an idea when Ireland are missing our on Morgan then something could be done by ECB or ICC to help Ireland in return, why should we lose out because we produced a good cricketer :mellow:...
Didn't know Middlesex was part of Ireland.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't know Middlesex was part of Ireland.
This is such massive hairy bollocks. You don't take this line when Indian players improve significantly as a result of playing county cricket, why do you do it when Irish players do?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This is such massive hairy bollocks. You don't take this line when Indian players improve significantly as a result of playing county cricket, why do you do it when Irish players do?
Because amazingly enough Indian's don't start playing county cricket in their early teens.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If it helps, think of the current situation regarding Morgan & others as payback for Jack Charlton's 'Ireland' footy side having more than its fair share of Englishmen, not least when beating us in Euro 1988.

Long memories, some of us. :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If Tim Murtagh qualifies as Irish by virtue of having Irish grandparents then one imagines that many English cricketers do.

Though see the the rules, I cant see how he does.

B. QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
I MEN
1. A cricketer is qualified to play Representative Cricket for a Member Country of which he is
a national or, in cases of non-nationals, in which he was born provided that:
i) (subject to (c) and (b)5 below) he has not played Representative Cricket for any
other Member Country during the 4 immediately preceding years; and

ii) (subject to (b)5 below) in the case where the Member Country is an Associate
or Affiliate Member, the cricketer satisfies one or more of the Development
Criteria in paragraph (b)4 below.

4. A player wishing to represent an Associate or Affiliate Member Country shall be required
to satisfy one or more of the following additional Development Criteria
:

i) the player shall have played 50% or more of the scheduled games for his team in a
national cricket competition in the relevant Associate or Affiliate Member Country in
any 3 of the preceding 5 years; or

ii) the player shall have spent a cumulative total of 100 days or more during the
preceding 5 years in the relevant Associate or Affiliate Member Country coaching,
playing or working in the administration or development of cricket in that country; or

iii) the player shall have played Representative Cricket for the relevant Associate or
Affiliate Member Country either under previous ICC rules or where the current ICC
development criteria had applied; or

iv) the player shall have dedicated a reasonable period of time to activities which, in the
opinion of the Chairman of the Cricket Committee (CC), constitute a sufficient
demonstration of a player's genuine commitment to the development of cricket in the
relevant Associate of Affiliate Member Country.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
If it helps, think of the current situation regarding Morgan & others as payback for Jack Charlton's 'Ireland' footy side having more than its fair share of Englishmen, not least when beating us in Euro 1988.

Long memories, some of us. :ph34r:
To be fair, Ireland playing footie players in our team who wouldn't have made the English team is different to Eoin Morgan, who would get into this Irish team quite easily,

your point is noted though :) :cool:...

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
If Tim Murtagh qualifies as Irish by virtue of having Irish grandparents then one imagines that many English cricketers do.

Though see the the rules, I cant see how he does.

B. QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
I MEN
1. A cricketer is qualified to play Representative Cricket for a Member Country of which he is
a national or, in cases of non-nationals, in which he was born provided that:
i) (subject to (c) and (b)5 below) he has not played Representative Cricket for any
other Member Country during the 4 immediately preceding years; and

ii) (subject to (b)5 below) in the case where the Member Country is an Associate
or Affiliate Member, the cricketer satisfies one or more of the Development
Criteria in paragraph (b)4 below.

4. A player wishing to represent an Associate or Affiliate Member Country shall be required
to satisfy one or more of the following additional Development Criteria
:

i) the player shall have played 50% or more of the scheduled games for his team in a
national cricket competition in the relevant Associate or Affiliate Member Country in
any 3 of the preceding 5 years; or

ii) the player shall have spent a cumulative total of 100 days or more during the
preceding 5 years in the relevant Associate or Affiliate Member Country coaching,
playing or working in the administration or development of cricket in that country; or

iii) the player shall have played Representative Cricket for the relevant Associate or
Affiliate Member Country either under previous ICC rules or where the current ICC
development criteria had applied; or

iv) the player shall have dedicated a reasonable period of time to activities which, in the
opinion of the Chairman of the Cricket Committee (CC), constitute a sufficient
demonstration of a player's genuine commitment to the development of cricket in the
relevant Associate of Affiliate Member Country.
Well I only know that one of his grandparents was born here and that entitles him to apply for an Irish passport and that would allow him to play for Ireland, I don't really know much else about this, I'll just wait and see if anything happens...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, Ireland playing footie players in our team who wouldn't have made the English team is different to Eoin Morgan, who would get into this Irish team quite easily,

your point is noted though :) :cool:...

Very true. The biggest exception was probably Mark Lawrenson, although he may have been picked for Ireland before he would have come under the radar for England. Could have coped with him instead of Terry Fenwick in 1986 though.

I read somewhere that Keegan contacted the FAI at some point - presumably before he rose to prominence with Liverpool. I gather the FAI didn't pursue the matter though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would've taken the (London-born) David O'Leary too, tbh.

Aldridge might've had a case as well, modest international record notwithstanding.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well I only know that one of his grandparents was born here and that entitles him to apply for an Irish passport and that would allow him to play for Ireland, I don't really know much else about this, I'll just wait and see if anything happens...
Being a passport holder would allow him to play against Test nations and in World Cups but he couldnt play against other Associates in ODIs or the Inter Continental Cup without meeting the development criteria.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Would've taken the (London-born) David O'Leary too, tbh.

Aldridge might've had a case as well, modest international record notwithstanding.
I know it's before your time, but did you hear the old story about Londoner Terry Mancini's first appearance for R of I after qualifying via a grandparent? Midway through one of the national anthems, he turns to Don Givens and complaints about the Russian tune going on far too long. To which Givens tells him to stfu as it was the Irish one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know it's before your time, but did you hear the old story about Londoner Terry Mancini's first appearance for R of I after qualifying via a grandparent? Midway through one of the national anthems, he turns to Don Givens and complaints about the Russian tune going on far too long. To which Givens tells him to stfu as it was the Irish one.
Ha, hadn't heard that one, no.

Have a fondness for Terry tho, helped to dig a very poor Arsenal out of the relegation mire during his brief stay.