• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Ireland v England at Dublin

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
And D/L f***s Ireland again against England, we were 42/2 needing less than 5.50 for the over and we come out and need to go at 8.7/8,

I know we had wickets in hand but to come out and just switch on and go at near 9's is hard for any team,

overall it was a very messy game, at 42/2 I thought it was near identical to where England were at the same stage and a good game was on but the weather and d/l wins again :huh: :dry: :laugh:

p.s well done England, not the biggest fan of a lot of your team but a win is a win and well done :)...

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
12 short. Decent enough effort. Good to get a result, but the last period of play was a bit farcical.

flibbertyjibber

And D/L f***s Ireland again against England, we were 42/2 needing less than 5.50 for the over and we come out and need to go at 8.7/8,

I know we had wickets in hand but to come out and just switch on and go at near 9's is hard for any team,

overall it was a very messy game, at 42/2 I thought it was near identical to where England were at the same stage and a good game was on but the weather and d/l wins again :huh: :dry: :laugh:...
Yeah, and our best bowlers were out of the game so you should have won easily. If you can't take Bopara apart it is your own fault.

Howe_zat

Audio File

overall it was a very messy game, at 42/2 I thought it was near identical to where England were at the same stage and a good game was on but the weather and d/l wins again :huh: :dry: :laugh:

p.s well done England, not the biggest fan of a lot of your team but a win is a win and well done :)...
Absurd.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant

What's absurd?, Ireland in the T20 World cup was one and this is another, the fact is we needed 5.50 runs to the over before the big delay and then we come out win D/L and it's near 9's,

another fact, when we were 42/2 it was very near identical where England where at the same stage, so a good game was on the cards,

England were up in arms against the West Indies because of Mr.DL in the T20, why can't we :)...

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Any reason why this can't be a yearly fixture?
England and Wales Cricket Board are stupid.:ph34r:
Maybe next time if we could make it a T20 game then 3 ODI's, the sad thing for Irish Cricket and Irish fans, our next game against a Test team isn't anytime soon, according to the fixtures we don't have any games against full members, and the fixture list goes to October of next year, :laugh:...

Jacknife

International Captain
What's absurd?, Ireland in the T20 World cup was one and this is another, the fact is we needed 5.50 runs to the over before the big delay and then we come out win D/L and it's near 9's,

another fact, when we were 42/2 it was very near identical where England where at the same stage, so a good game was on the cards,

England were up in arms against the West Indies because of Mr.DL in the T20, why can't we :)...
I think the point is though it didn't help either side a great deal. Saying that at one point during it when both O'Brien's where there. if they had hung around a bit longer and hit even a couple more four's, it would have been Ireland's game to take.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Your attacking my post because I think d/l is not the most correct way of deciding?, I don't want to fall out with people, I just thought it left two completely different situations...
To put it as briefly as possible, scoring lots of runs is harder than scoring not many runs.

Ireland were collapsing horrendously but because of the shortening of the innings, they were never out of it.

Needing 5.5rpo is tough when you still need 150 odd runs. And Ireland were two wickets down. Were they capable of the 80+run partnership at a good rate that they needed? Not sure. Were they capable of one or two high scoring overs, with England's opening bowlers out, that would have won them the game? Of course they were.

Now then I'm not saying that everything went Ireland's way thanks to the rain. I don't think either side were much better off - that's what D/L is there to ensure after all. But to say that the rain robbed Ireland, or even significantly hurt them, is nonesense.

As a footnote, my personal opinion is that D/L usually favours the chasing side. I'm not sure that was the case here.

Last edited:

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
I think the point is though it didn't help either side a great deal. Saying that at one point during it when both O'Brien's where there. if they had hung around a bit longer and hit even a couple more four's, it would have been Ireland's game to take.
True, perhaps I should have took a bit more time to relax before posting :), will do in future after Ireland games,

someone might have said it here or on Cricinfo but teams playing England should be encouraged to play Ireland in a 2/3/4/5 ODI series after their tour or 2/3 ODI's and one four day game perhaps? :)...

flibbertyjibber

I certainly think when we host Bangladesh and Zimbabwe they should go to Ireland for a mini tour involving all 3 formats. Even if England have to help with costs, after all until you get full status we will continue to take your best players as it is the only way they can get test cricket so a bit of recompence is only fair from our side of things.

I'd love it if we played Ireland every year, and sent Lions teams over too for a 4 day match.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Well one thing the ECB could do, if they do pick our top players then maybe help financially with for example, the Hamish Marshall case,

Ireland news: Hamish Marshall's international future in jeopardy | Ireland Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

I feel if we could add in Marshall and Murtagh to that team it would really help strengthen it a lot, if Ireland is to lose players then we should be able to replace them with other strong players,

I imagine since Tim Murtagh hasn't played for England and he can gain an Irish passport, then it's just a financial reason why he isn't playing for Ireland?, or unless we don't want him, which seems strange :)...

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Would have no problem with that, not as if we haven't just had a brilliantly attended summer of cricket. I'm all for it.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Would have no problem with that, not as if we haven't just had a brilliantly attended summer of cricket. I'm all for it.

I guess your talking about the ODI series that I mentioned and not the Marshall/Murtagh case?, :)

one thing we do have in common though, awful weather :laugh:...

flibbertyjibber

I guess your talking about the ODI series that I mentioned and not the Marshall/Murtagh case?, :)

one thing we do have in common though, awful weather :laugh:...
No, I was on about Marshall. As for Murtagh, doubt he'll ever get a chance for us so again I all for it. You can keep Boyd Rankin though. PLEASE:laugh: