• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daryl Harper withdraws from Dominica test

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He said a few wrong decisions were made. What is wrong with saying this when it is the truth?

As i said like Taufel umpires have previously admitted to errors themselves.

You are imagining this tbh.

He just said that in such a way to avoid pointing someone out or a decision.

In his other comments he said clearly that it was a close match and admitted India were in real trouble twice in the match.
What the hell does 'we would have won long ago' mean then?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If you say "if not for the umpires we would have won long ago" that sort of is the implication tbh.
He didn't say that we would have won long ago though.

He just worded his criticism in such a way to avoid sanctions . Pretty Clever.
His other comments confirm that he did not think that game was a stroll in the park.

He often does not like commenting on umpiring so these comments were pretty unlike him tbh.
And playing down the opposition is something which the likes of Sehwag and Swann would do ,not Dhoni.

As i said before he was asked about the umpiring decisions ,after UDRS questions.
The question was something like What did you make of the poor umpiring and decisions in this match and he said that.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't say that we would have won long ago though.

He just worded his criticism in such a way to avoid sanctions . Pretty Clever.
His other comments confirm that he did not think that game was a stroll in the park.

He often does not like commenting on umpiring so these comments were pretty unlike him tbh.
And playing down the opposition is something which the likes of Sehwag and Swann would do ,not Dhoni.
How can his other comments confirm this when he directly supplied another comment contradicting it?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
How can his other comments confirm this when he directly supplied another comment contradicting it?
You can draw implications from whatever he would have said about wrong decisions tbh.

He never said that we would have won easily without the decisions .Just said the match would have been over earlier which infact may not be entirely a true comment too.

He admitted in his other comments that India were in trouble twice in the match and that it was a tough test against short pitch bowling.
So that means the speculative meaning you are drawing from his first comment is incorrect .

Besides even if i agree with you on the comment(Which i don't), even then it is upto West Indies to prove them wrong.
Sehwag in the past has called Bangladesh and Australian bowlers easy on different occasions. And i believe Swann can make such comments too.
In any case,India sending almost their weakened team in a way showed in itself that this was not the most attractive tour anymore.

Remember from the past too, Dhoni is not one to underplay a opponent though.

shankar

International Debutant
The interpretation of Dhoni''s comment is that in that particular game which India won, if more umpiring decisions had gone their way, they would have won much earlier. Can't see anything disrespectful there. To interpret it to mean that in general, India just need the umpiring decisions to go their way to put away WI in any match requires an overactive imagination.

I actually didn't think the umpiring decisions were so bad that they warranted criticism. But that's a different issue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I find that comment extremely grating for other reasons but I don't think it was disrespectful to the opposition.

Xuhaib

International Coach
my only gripe with the situation is it sets a wrong culture where anybody can have a moan about the umpiring fairly or unfairly because they know they can get away with it, for this reason I feel ICC should have atleast given Dhoni a slap on the wrist.

Not everyone can be a Dar or Taufel like cricketers umpires can have their off days no reason for players to slag them, reason DRS is there is to cover for the umpires who are having an off day.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
my only gripe with the situation is it sets a wrong culture where anybody can have a moan about the umpiring fairly or unfairly because they know they can get away with it, for this reason I feel ICC should have atleast given Dhoni a slap on the wrist.
Everybody - the commentators, the media, the fans, posters on forums - do have a moan - often more than just a moan - about the umpiring. It was not decorous from Dhoni, but I do not think the ICC can debar players from commenting on the umpiring after the game is over. Slander, yes; general comments, no.

Not everyone can be a Dar or Taufel like cricketers umpires can gave their off days no reason for players to slag them, reason DRS is there is to cover for the umpires who are having an off day.
That is a myth. DRS is not a substitute for having high quality umpires officiate; there is no substitute for a good umpire. Dar and Taufel without DRS would do a far better job than De Silva and Harper with it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Borges,

its completely different when the media, fans, experts have a moan to when a test captain have a moan, none of the media, fans or commentators have to deal with the umpires on field only cricketers have to deal them so its important imo that respect code is maintained between the two as I said it sets a wrong culture as anybody would feel they have the right to jump on the umpires back putting unnecessary pressure on him.Its not like the umpires get away and don't get scrutinized for their decisions so adding criticism from the players would be another unnecessary pressure on them.

As for your second point again you are just assuming Dar and Taufel without DRS will be better then Asoka and Doctove with DRS we have no factual evidence off that. Also through cricket's history we have not seen more then 2-3 good umpires at one given time umpiring in world cricket, unless ICC improves the umpiring training from the grass root level making sure we have atleast 8-10 Taufal & Dar's umpiring at the same time till then DRS is the best alternative to cover average umpiring

Borges

International Regular
on field only cricketers have to deal them so its important imo that respect code is maintained between the two as I said it sets a wrong culture
In general I agree with that. In particular, I think that Dhoni's comments in this instance, immediately after the match, were in bad taste.

But I do not think that the ICC has the authority to bar players from commenting on the umpiring after the game is over (as long as the comments do not bring the game into disrepute). Don't think such an attempt would stand legal examination in any country which guarantees freedom of expression to its citizens. We just have to hope that players, and even more captains, would exercise good judgment in deciding: how long should one wait after a game is over before expressing such opinions?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, I find that comment extremely grating for other reasons but I don't think it was disrespectful to the opposition.
I actually found it disrespectful to the Windies (similar to Sehwag's comments before the Bangladesh series), but its funny how people think its a crime to criticise someone for not doing their job well. Players criticise other players, officials criticise players, players criticise officials all the time. But nah, Katich is a hero because I actually like him and find resonance with his views. I don't like Dhoni and/or his views, so I'll get out the handbags.

Its just people doing their job, and getting criticised when they do it badly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Everybody - the commentators, the media, the fans, posters on forums - do have a moan - often more than just a moan - about the umpiring. It was not decorous from Dhoni, but I do not think the ICC can debar players from commenting on the umpiring after the game is over. Slander, yes; general comments, no.

That is a myth. DRS is not a substitute for having high quality umpires officiate; there is no substitute for a good umpire. Dar and Taufel without DRS would do a far better job than De Silva and Harper with it.
Rubbish. Da Silva and Harper might still make mistakes, but with DRS their mistakes will have absolutely no effect on the game because they'll be corrected and forgotten about.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
OPEN Chak de Australia thread today only. We will miss your support as we did in the WC.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/world-cup-2011/50792-your-time-will-come-chak-de-sri-lankaaaaa.html

:laugh::laugh:
Interesting

Will be truly surreal if true.
Could possibly be the series that actually puts us at #1 too. I've no doubt India won't win the series; only truly special teams go to Australia and win. India don't have the bowlers.

Some absolutely dire, rubbish posting from GIMH and Got_Spin of late.

The amount of jealousy is so blatantly obvious. GIMH, I understand your team will never win a WC and the fans will continue to pretend as if they dont care about ODI success but really bud, just relax. This doesn't mean you come into every India thread and cry about UDRS, throw tantrums over every BCCI move. It's getting extremely tiring. Just relax bro. :p
Yeah, jealousy, that's exactly what it is. In fact, I never ever ever ever said anything about the India team before you won the WC.

Say what you want about me, but you were nowhere to be seen between the 07 and 11 World Cups except the odd post reminding us India were ranked #1. All of a sudden, you've got a WC in Asia and you're here posting like you were never away. Had you lost that Final, guarantee you wouldn't be here posting now, you'd be off watching hockey or whatever **** it is you do in the country you're from. I've never hidden away from here when we were ****, I support my team through thick and thin and that will never change.

It's a shame Turb because I do actually like you and will miss you after the Test series when you've got your tail between your legs and you decide you're Canadian in time for the Winter Olympics or whatever **** it is they might be good at.