• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Lord's Test for the Windies in 2012

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know how much the players want to play at Eden Gardens (although cricinfo describes the ground as "something of a place of pilgrimage for most international cricketers"), but it's surely the best-known Indian ground isn't it?

Bun

Banned
It was the 2006 tour that there were scheduling arguments over. The ECB weren't happy about the ordering of the venues in the ODIs.
Not sure about 2006, but in 2008 certainly they raised it

Cricket: Irate ECB bite back over India's choice of venues for winter tour | Sport | The Guardian

The following para amuses one:

India's tour arrangements are traditionally so haphazard that the ECB can take some consolation in the fact that the details have been confirmed nearly four months in advance. But the news brings few delights for the Barmy Army: the first Test is in Ahmedabad, in the alcohol-free state of Gujarat, and the second Test in Mumbai - the highlight of the series - does not finish until December 23, leaving a last-minute rush for supporters to get home for Christmas
Haha

Bun

Banned
I don't know how much the players want to play at Eden Gardens (although cricinfo describes the ground as "something of a place of pilgrimage for most international cricketers"), but it's surely the best-known Indian ground isn't it?
Largest yes! Historic of course!! Famous? Am not 100% sure. Even if it is, India have like 10-12 test grounds and they follow a rotation policy to ensure each ground gets representation.

Fact was Ahmedabad, one of the original test grounds scheduled was in a liquor free state, and this upset perhaps a few of the touring party. There is nothing wrong or backward about Ahmedabad, just seems ECB wanted to have a whinge there.

But then again, full respect and thanks to them for coming back after the bomb blasts and playing in Chennai and Mohali.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
That's all very well but it's got nothing to do with the point that Jacknife was making in his post in general or the parts you "blinked" at in particular. I was just wondering why a statement that Eden Gdns was the most famous ground in India was blink-worthy - it seems a rather uncontroversial statement to me, but I may be wrong.

Bun

Banned
That's all very well but it's got nothing to do with the point that Jacknife was making in his post in general or the parts you "blinked" at in particular. I was just wondering why a statement that Eden Gdns was the most famous ground in India was blink-worthy - it seems a rather uncontroversial statement to me, but I may be wrong.
It isn't, merely it is not as accepted a fact as is the notion of say Lords being the home of cricket, or MCG test being the showpiece of the Aussie cricket calendar. India lacks such marquee games, which I believe should change. They should have a Kolkota and Chennai test every season. I wouldn't mind seeing a "Pongal" test every year;

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It isn't, merely it is not as accepted a fact as is the notion of say Lords being the home of cricket, or MCG test being the showpiece of the Aussie cricket calendar. India lacks such marquee games, which I believe should change. They should have a Kolkota and Chennai test every season. I wouldn't mind seeing a "Pongal" test every year;
If I was an international cricketer, the three grounds I'd most want to experience would be Lord's, the MCG and Eden Gardens.

Jacknife

International Captain
No i don't get the emoticon thing either, but then again, I don't get Bun most of the time.
I was watching, cricket writers on TV and it was just something Derick Pringle mentioned in passing, that England players haven't played at Eden Gardens for years and he said that it's the one ground, that a lot of his colleagues and present England players, wanted to play at.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Because there are so many venues and most new stadiums are being built outside of the City due to space constraints.

Every state is basically interested equally in hosting matches ,so they need to be divided geographically too plus then there is board politics etc..

There are full houses for ODI's regardless anywhere.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Because there are so many venues and most new stadiums are being built outside of the City due to space constraints.

Every state is basically interested equally in hosting matches ,so they need to be divided geographically too plus then there is board politics etc..

There are full houses for ODI's regardless anywhere.
There's nothing worse than having a thriller match like Mohali in front of barely occupied stands in a country that claims itself to be cricket obsessed.

I'd think Eden Gardens would be the most famous Indian ground though. Sadly never seems to get matches

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Why don't India host their tests at venues where you know...people actually turn up.
A sad thing that. They keep allotting test matches to Mohali when no one turns up to watch Sachin overtake Lara or India beat Australia in a thriller. I keep hoping that one day we will have a small list of venues for tests. Think it is mostly to do with the stupid rotation policy.

Dissector

International Debutant
If they allocate the test matches to the 4-5 big cities and ODI's and TT games to the smaller places everyone would be happier. It's not as if Mohali and Nagpur are making a huge amount of money from 5 days of empty seats. And a full stadium makes the TV broadcast more exciting which is where the real money is anyway.

Bun

Banned
If they allocate the test matches to the 4-5 big cities and ODI's and TT games to the smaller places everyone would be happier. It's not as if Mohali and Nagpur are making a huge amount of money from 5 days of empty seats. And a full stadium makes the TV broadcast more exciting which is where the real money is anyway.
yep. mohali and nagpur are undeserving test venues if crowd interest is anything to go by, although the facilities are world class.

got spin, eden gardens last hosted a test in 2010, that thrilling test match vs SA. it has been undergoing renovation work, which thanks to bengal cricket assn overrun the deadlines so much that they actually lost a world cup tie involving india.

biased indian

International Coach
Why don't India host their tests at venues where you know...people actually turn up.
the major point i think its more to do with where the stadium is..as for Bangalore,chennai, mumbai and kolkataand i think the delhi is also as i have not seen that stadium are all in the heart of the city where as all the other new stadiums being built are out side the city

there was time when we might start in the morning with very less crowd and if India started batting may be after lunch by the evening session the whole stadium might be packed.with a stadium around 25-30 km of the city limits its very hard to get people in like that

biased indian

International Coach
I hope you remember your final sentence if Tendulkar is incorrectly given out and India collapse to a defeat as a result. It really would be terrible if something as controversial as that overshadowed a fine Test match.
it could still happen with sangakkara like decision..better it to be clear inside edge and given out LBW :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
the major point i think its more to do with where the stadium is..as for Bangalore,chennai, mumbai and kolkataand i think the delhi is also as i have not seen that stadium are all in the heart of the city where as all the other new stadiums being built are out side the city

there was time when we might start in the morning with very less crowd and if India started batting may be after lunch by the evening session the whole stadium might be packed.with a stadium around 25-30 km of the city limits its very hard to get people in like that
I understand that - Think I've read that before here. Surely this should be taken into consideration when they're designating venues for tests though

shivfan

Banned
I've not yet been to the Oval so I can't really compare the two.

Just go to Lord's. I hold London's upper-class toff culture in just as much contempt as you do and I still thought it was the best place ever.
Well, I guess it might still be possible....

ECB braced for U-turn over Windies Test | England Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

'The England & Wales Cricket Board could be forced to put next summer's disputed West Indies Test back out to tender, after they appeared to undermine their own bid process by accepting an offer from Glamorgan that was up to 40% less than the £1million put forward by the MCC. In a situation described by one board spokesman as "very delicate", the ECB's apparent desire to bolster the appeal of Test cricket in Wales has hit a number of stumbling blocks, with last month's Test against Sri Lanka resulting in a reported loss of up to £1.5million.'

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I guess it might still be possible....

ECB braced for U-turn over Windies Test | England Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

'The England & Wales Cricket Board could be forced to put next summer's disputed West Indies Test back out to tender, after they appeared to undermine their own bid process by accepting an offer from Glamorgan that was up to 40% less than the £1million put forward by the MCC. In a situation described by one board spokesman as "very delicate", the ECB's apparent desire to bolster the appeal of Test cricket in Wales has hit a number of stumbling blocks, with last month's Test against Sri Lanka resulting in a reported loss of up to £1.5million.'
Surely that was influenced by the heavy amounts of rain though