• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

Bun

Banned
I'll quote Cevno from India in West Indies

Yep. They need a rest for a tour to the West Indies but can happily play in the IPl for seven weeks
They are rested for the odi series right? IPL is bigger than a stupid bilateral odi series nobody cares about

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
They are rested for the odi series right? IPL is bigger than a stupid bilateral odi series nobody cares about
Then I'm glad that India are happy to receive the best players from around the world to play in their domestic competition but won't return in kind

Bun

Banned
Then I'm glad that India are happy to receive the best players from around the world to play in their domestic competition but won't return in kind
sorry what was that? afaik, nobody is playing in ipl for charity purposes. they're all beneficiaries of fat cheques and so are the boards who sponsor them.

how in the world can be a stupid bilateral series in west indies be any quid pro quo for wi players playing in ipl is beyond me. by ur logic, aussie board and english boards also should tour pakistan because pak players play in their domestic league? :wacko:

Bun

Banned
You've completely missed my point.
all major boards, ind, eng and aus receive players during their domestic season. I havent seen any such arguments necessiating a some kind of quid pro quo arrangement before. so why you bring that point just in case of ipl?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This is a great example of you looking for an argument that isn't there Sanz.

Your last point is valid. No one is seriously criticising Dhoni that much here. We are just saying, he played the IPL, and not a test series. Not that he is the devil for doing it. Very hard to turn down such serious money, particularly in the first season.

You can't argue against that. I am not sure why you are doing so.
Yeah you have really proved your case that Dhoni missed the SL test series because of IPL even though the tournament ended almost two months before that and Dhoni played two crap series in between.

8-)8-)

Howsie

International Captain
Such a narrow-minded comment. Sure, to the BCCI the IPL is probably bigger and more important then just another random ODI series, but to the WICB this tour is probably the biggest and most anticipated one in quite sometime - seeing as India are the best team in the world and all. An Indian tour these days is probably one of the most marketable series you can hold, and for them to send over a "B" team because certain individuals need a rest and this tour isn't seen as important as others is a total slap in the face.

I can only imagine what the reaction would be like if a team like Australia were to do the same thing to India.

Bun

Banned
Such a narrow-minded comment. Sure, to the BCCI the IPL is probably bigger and more important then just another random ODI series, but to the WICB this tour is probably the biggest and most anticipated one in quite sometime - seeing as India are the best team in the world and all. An Indian tour these days is probably one of the most marketable series you can hold, and for them to send over a "B" team because certain individuals need a rest and this tour isn't seen as important as others is a total slap in the face.

I can only imagine what the reaction would be like if a team like Australia were to do the same thing to India.
Didnt Australia do that last time around?

So in effect you are implying top players should be rested from ipl, made to forego their millions, thereby also affect potential of the ipl and **** the ipl spectators, and make them tour half way round the world to propitiate the west indian board and players, and for what?

you see, its easy to suggest something, but hard to suggest alternative solutions.

archie mac

International Coach
I hate the IPL, and I am proud to say I am yet to watch a full game:happy:

So the article tells us we should be thankful for a domestic comp which fails to show the real skills of the game, and encourages players not to play for their countries but to play in a meaningless comp in India. His says average cricketers can make a good living from 20/20

Please!

I would rather watch the best players tested by the best players in a game which tests all of their skills not the ones of how far someone can hit the ball on a flat pitch in a team that means nothing to me personally.

I used the word 'tested' and 'tests' lets hope one day they develope a game of cricket that really tests players and all the facets of the game, that is a pitch that starts off helpful for pace flattens out as a good batting wicket and then later starts to wear and takes spin. Just to make it a real test of their skill lets play it over two innings. Wait a minute8-)

Howsie

International Captain
So in effect you are implying top players should be rested from ipl, made to forego their millions, thereby also affect potential of the ipl and **** the ipl spectators, and make them tour half way round the world to propitiate the west indian board and players, and for what?
Haha, no, not at all.

smash84

The Tiger King
I hate the IPL, and I am proud to say I am yet to watch a full game:happy:

So the article tells us we should be thankful for a domestic comp which fails to show the real skills of the game, and encourages players not to play for their countries but to play in a meaningless comp in India. His says average cricketers can make a good living from 20/20

Please!

I would rather watch the best players tested by the best players in a game which tests all of their skills not the ones of how far someone can hit the ball on a flat pitch in a team that means nothing to me personally.

I used the word 'tested' and 'tests' lets hope one day they develope a game of cricket that really tests players and all the facets of the game, that is a pitch that starts off helpful for pace flattens out as a good batting wicket and then later starts to wear and takes spin. Just to make it a real test of their skill lets play it over two innings. Wait a minute8-)
I don't really hate the IPL. It is somewhat like Kerry Packer's WSC. Although a poor man's WSC (a below poverty line WSC given the quality of the cricket) but you have to give full marks to the IPL for playing to packed stadiums and really grabbing many people's attention from other entertainment avenues. Let's face it, cricket is competing with other entertainment avenues and IPL has done a great job of keeping a lot of people interested in the game during off season.

Also it is similar to the WSC in the sense that it has brought more money to the game and player incomes have shot to the sky.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I don't really hate the IPL. It is somewhat like Kerry Packer's WSC. Although we must say a below poverty line WSC given the quality of the cricket but you have to give full marks to the IPL for playing to packed stadiums and really grabbing many people's attention from other entertainment avenues. Let's face it, cricket is competing with other entertainment avenues and IPL has done a great job of keeping a lot of people interested in the game during off season.

Also it is similar to the WSC in the sense that it has brought more money to the game and player incomes have shot to the sky.
No arguement on those points mate:)