• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 4 - Sri Lanka v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
England have a decent shout in SL. Their bowlers have been impotent on Indian featherbeds, but SL pitches are different beasts. There will be some swing with the new ball and old ball will boomerang if handled properly. And there won't be much dew as well. And add to that pitch will spin. The above will make England's weaker aspect to be more powerful. SL bowlers won't get much additional advantage as English ones. The match will be decided by how batsmen play out. If two of Dilshan, Mahela, Sanga or Mathews gets something meaningful, SL will get to 230-240, which will be defendable. Put it this way, in SL, ODI game has not evolved, and it's like in mid 90s, where 240 is a winning score. The reason is SL pitches are easily the most bowler friendly in the world.

smash84

The Tiger King
that is a good thing tbh IMO..........scores above 300 with bowlers getting smashed all over the park is not too much fun to me

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England have a decent shout in SL. Their bowlers have been impotent on Indian featherbeds, but SL pitches are different beasts. There will be some swing with the new ball and old ball will boomerang if handled properly. And there won't be much dew as well. And add to that pitch will spin. The above will make England's weaker aspect to be more powerful. SL bowlers won't get much additional advantage as English ones. The match will be decided by how batsmen play out. If two of Dilshan, Mahela, Sanga or Mathews gets something meaningful, SL will get to 230-240, which will be defendable. Put it this way, in SL, ODI game has not evolved, and it's like in mid 90s, where 240 is a winning score. The reason is SL pitches are easily the most bowler friendly in the world.
Yeah, but part of the reason for that is that conditions do get tougher to bat on under lights. Pitches in SL are definitely more bowler-friendly than India/Pakistan etc. and you won't see many 300+ 1st innings scores, but the toss plays too much of a role for my liking.

tooextracool

International Coach
In one post you recommended making Collingwood, England's best fielder, keep... and also for Collingwood, incredibly out of form, to open the batting.

Fair enough response from Marc I think :dry:
Not to mention that if Collingwood keeps, he wouldn't be able to bowl which is one of the choice reasons for having him in the side ITFP.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Colly's no beater than a stopper as a keeper. If he did it more regularly he might've improved, but he doesn't have the anticipation or footwork of a proper keeper.

Morgan was slightly better when he did it; naturally kept (ha) lower but not in Prior's league and I wouldn't want to overburden our best batsman.

My guess is that Jimmeh for Tremmers is the only change we'll see from the team who beat the Windies. Colly could conceivably come in for Wright, Ravi or Tredwell, but all contributed to the win.

nidoccj

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, but part of the reason for that is that conditions do get tougher to bat on under lights. Pitches in SL are definitely more bowler-friendly than India/Pakistan etc. and you won't see many 300+ 1st innings scores, but the toss plays too much of a role for my liking.
I m totally agree with you. and Srilanka's bowling attack is full of confidence. specially murli can be very effective against england. and my favorite in this match will be srilanka. coz sangakar is back in form, and much expectations from dilshan and jewardane.
from england's point of view, i think broad is not in the squad. am i right? correct me please if i am wrong. and what about morgan? is he back in the squad or not?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So what happens when Sangakkara nicks a regulation catch to Collingwood/Morgan and they fluff it?

Sangakkara goes on to make a 100, but luckily for England they don't have to bat Matt Prior.

I say do it! Kamran Akmal drops catches, and everything works out fine in the end.

Somerset Chops

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Colly's no beater than a stopper as a keeper. If he did it more regularly he might've improved, but he doesn't have the anticipation or footwork of a proper keeper.

Morgan was slightly better when he did it; naturally kept (ha) lower but not in Prior's league and I wouldn't want to overburden our best batsman.

My guess is that Jimmeh for Tremmers is the only change we'll see from the team who beat the Windies. Colly could conceivably come in for Wright, Ravi or Tredwell, but all contributed to the win.

Thats how i see it , be well pissed if Tredwell somehow got dropped as he finally got to prove why he was in the squad and that he should of been bought in a lot sooner.

Tremlett just cant play he looks like fodder , Jimmy will be up for this ,hes had time to get his **** together and i expect a much better SA type display from him this time.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pitch can be expected to be a turner. For a change, I'd like to see a flat belter, and see how English bowlers can do against Dilshan and Mathews.

Himannv

International Coach
[/B]

Thats how i see it , be well pissed if Tredwell somehow got dropped as he finally got to prove why he was in the squad and that he should of been bought in a lot sooner.

Tremlett just cant play he looks like fodder , Jimmy will be up for this ,hes had time to get his **** together and i expect a much better SA type display from him this time.
IMO Anderson will do well if he just plays his usual game, i.e. land the ball at a good length and let the conditions help him. I reckon he struggles when he tries to change his length and adjust his bowling to the situation. His attempted yorkers become full tosses or beamers and he pretty much ruins it for himself. Considering Tremlett's last game, I think Broad is going to be a big miss.

smash84

The Tiger King
So what happens when Sangakkara nicks a regulation catch to Collingwood/Morgan and they fluff it?

Sangakkara goes on to make a 100, but luckily for England they don't have to bat Matt Prior.

I say do it! Kamran Akmal drops catches, and everything works out fine in the end.
You forgot to mention that Sangakkara then does a Ross Taylor

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think SL will stuff England. England also will have some instability due to Yardy's withdrawal. I feel it may be too much and might open old wounds like when Trescothick left the team.