• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 34 - Ireland v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Ireland v South Africa
Tue Mar 15

Eden Gardens, Kolkata
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local | 20:00 EST | 19:30 CST | 17:00 WST

Ireland Squad

William Porterfield (captain), Andre Botha, Alex Cusack, George Dockrell, Trent Johnston, Nigel Jones, Ed Joyce, John Mooney, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien (wicketkeeper), Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Albert van der Merwe, Andrew White, Gary Wilson (wicketkeeper)

South Africa Squad

Graeme Smith (captain), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers (wicketkeeper), Jean-Paul Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Morne van Wyk (wicketkeeper)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Another opportunity for Robbie P to stake his claim for player of the tournament!

And Hash hasn't hit a century for a couple of games so he is probably due one. Even Smith may make a score and a decent rate as well, though that could be a bridge too far.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hope Tsotsobe plays in this match.

I really dislike the balance of the South African team now that Van Wyk is playing. I would much prefer AB with the gloves and a big hitter like Albie Morkel in at 7. Shame he's not in the squad, perhaps Ingram could fill that role?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Tsotsobe plays in this match.

I really dislike the balance of the South African team now that Van Wyk is playing. I would much prefer AB with the gloves and a big hitter like Albie Morkel in at 7. Shame he's not in the squad, perhaps Ingram could fill that role?
van Wyk is playing because of de Villiers back. AB isn't fit enough to keep. Just about able to bat on Saturday and had to finish with a runner. Lopsy for Morne wouldn't be a bad call. Morne works best first change.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully Ireland can keep up the good display they've shown so far.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Predicting us to emulate Australia in '99, Kallis to drop the world cup, KOB to ton up and us march to our first of 3 World Cups.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Would be tough for the Ireland batsmen, Up against possibly the best bowling side in the tournament.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
MVW better perform. Really disappointing stuff with the gloves and bat - he's much better than that.

Blaze 18

Banned
Anyone know what the track is expected to play like? thanks.
The pitch had a tinge of green on the eve of the game, and the curator has promised good bounce and carry. William Porterfield expects it to be "pretty quick". There has apparently not been much dew around in the last few days, but a surprise appearance is not discounted. Especially so, since it is the onset of summer, and while the days have started to get warm, nights can still be cool.

Ireland v South Africa: South Africa hope to avoid Irish surprise | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Blaze 18

Banned
For associate nations/minnows, South Africa are probably the hardest after Australia to play against. It's hard to envisage how Ireland can possibly pull off an upset. That said, Ireland have performed admirably well in this tournament, and have been the best associate nation by far. If Ed Joyce and Kevin O'Brien get going, things could get interesting.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea agreed. Pace bowling is probably harder to play for the minnows than anything else, plus there won't be a huge difference in the field as there might be against an India or a Pakistan so they want to win, they'd have to win the skill position matchups - which obviously is very difficult.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's very hard to see a way in for Ireland but it is possible. They've bowled tight and fielded well. If they can put pressure on SA's top order they just might instigate a collapse, especially with Smith out of touch, AB likely to sit out and SA's lower-middle misfiring.

Chasing a low score they can aim to block out the threating pace spells and try and work off Botha, Peterson and Kallis. The Ireland batsmen are generally better against pace than spin, so they'll be glad to see the back of Tahir. It's a long shot, but it's there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love for Ireland to make a go of it in this match, but I think it's far more likely that Steyn will plow through their top order and South Africa will win by a huge margin. Still, if Ireland go through this tournament with only 1 genuine thrashing, it still shows them to be better than any other associate side (including Zim).

Howe_zat

Audio File
Johnston is back for Ireland, who have won the toss and will bowl first. AB and Tahir sit out. First phase of the plan on track, then.