• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ervine pulls out of Zimbabwe squad

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Ervine pulls out of Zimbabwe squad

Sean Ervine has pulled out of Zimbabwe's squad for the World Cup, and will remain at Hampshire in 2011. Ervine, who had been named in both the preliminary and finalised squads for the tournament, had a change of heart shortly before the national team were due to depart for a training camp in Dubai.

"After having had time to reflect on all of the circumstances, I have realised that this is not the right time to leave Hampshire," said Ervine. "I have a great relationship with this club and its supporters and I feel like part of a family. I feel Hampshire is my home; so much so that I am planning to get married there next year. I do not, therefore, want to be away for long periods of time."

It had appeared certain that Ervine would part ways with Hampshire to reignite his international career, which he described as his "ultimate goal", but his decision not to play for Zimbabwe means he will not be considered an overseas player - a position filled by legspinner Imran Tahir at Hampshire - and will therefore be eligible to play for the county in all forms of the game in 2011. Ervine had proved a success in his six years with the club, helping the team to three trophies, scoring 3,956 first-class runs and taking 118 first class wickets in the process.

"We are very happy that Sean has come to this conclusion," said Hampshire manager Giles White. "He is an important and highly-valued cricketer who is popular with everyone associated with The Rose Bowl and central to our plans for the future."

Alistair Campbell, the head of Zimbabwe's selection panel and former national captain, expressed his disappointment at Ervine's withdrawal. "Zimbabwe Cricket was very excited about Sean coming back into the setup. However, he may not have realised that international cricket is a lot harder than he remembers," Campbell said in a ZC statement.

"He has lived a very comfortable life in county cricket for the last six years and obviously decided at the last minute he might not be up to the challenges of international cricket after all. A lot of people have gone to a lot of effort to make it happen for Sean. Although is very late in the day to change his mind, it is better than realising his mistake during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011."

ZC has approached the ICC Event Technical Committee to seek approval for batsman Tino Mawoyo to replace Ervine in the squad. An opening batsman, Mawoyo played two one-day internationals against Bangladesh in 2006 and is a regular in the Zimbabwe A line-up. He had been named as a non-travelling reserve for the World Cup before Ervine's last-minute departure. Craig Ervine, Sean's younger brother, remains part of Zimbabwe's squad.

Zimbabwe news: Ervine pulls out of World Cup squad | Zimbabwe Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

The ECB should really find a way to stop this from happening.:@

The World Cup needs a strong minnow contingent and Zimbabwe have done well in the past.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I blame the BCCI, actually.

[/sarcasm]

Wasn't aware the ECB went in for mind control. How is Sean Ervine's personal decision, or Hampshire's choice to sign Imran Tahir, any of the board's business?

Woodster

International Captain
Agree with Neil on this, not sure any of this is within the ECB's control. Ervine has made the decision to remain a Hampshire player, he seems to love the area, and does not appear willing to give it all away to resurrect his career with Zimbabwe. Surely a personal decision, that he's taken for the reasons that appeal to himself.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Reads like Alistair Campbell thinks Sean has bottled it. Shame, Ervine would have been a great addition for Zim's squad. Why Hamilton has not been given the call to replace Ervine is scandalous given he carried Zim in 2009. Who is Tino Mawoyo?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not the first, nor the last, player to choose the County lifestyle and money over their own infrastructure.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Delighted he is staying, although would have liked to see him in the World Cup. If he is planning to get married over here then it really does make sense from a personal perspective.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Reads like Alistair Campbell thinks Sean has bottled it. Shame, Ervine would have been a great addition for Zim's squad. Why Hamilton has not been given the call to replace Ervine is scandalous given he carried Zim in 2009. Who is Tino Mawoyo?
Thought it sounded more like honest-to-goodness bitterness on Campbell's part, myself, "A lot of people have gone to a lot of effort to make it happen for Sean"

Not that I blame him at all, whole thing does look rather a ****-tease.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I blame the BCCI, actually.

[/sarcasm]

Wasn't aware the ECB went in for mind control. How is Sean Ervine's personal decision, or Hampshire's choice to sign Imran Tahir, any of the board's business?
So from next time somebody leaves International cricket to play IPL it won't be the BCCI'S business?

This is the World Cup FFS.

When a player misses some practice games in favor of IPL, there is a huge uproar, so now is county cricket the devil who steals people's soul?

By same logic all New Zealand cricketers should retire from their team and sign up with IPL. No way a Kiwi player can pay mortgage with what they get paid, and the way NZ team is going, dont see much in terms of future.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That could not be any further than the point at hand, really, could it?

Quite frankly, if someone doesn't want to play for my country, then I don't want them playing for it. I would suggest the Kiwi side have sufficient national pride to wear the black caps.

You have also not explained how Ervine's personal decision not to uproot his entire personal life for the sake of six pool matches to represent a cricket board which has hardly been a stable employer is the ECB's fault, and how to "fix" this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, not too fussed about Ervine pulling out, but Hamilton must've really pissed someone off. It was a joke that he wasn't in the initial squad, and I remember having a little whinge when Mawoyo got picked for Zimbabwe A, let alone something like this.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That could not be any further than the point at hand, really, could it?

Quite frankly, if someone doesn't want to play for my country, then I don't want them playing for it. I would suggest the Kiwi side have sufficient national pride to wear the black caps.

You have also not explained how Ervine's personal decision not to uproot his entire personal life for the sake of six pool matches to represent a cricket board which has hardly been a stable employer is the ECB's fault, and how to "fix" this.
So Basically you think Gayle and Pollard were not wrong to opt out of playing for the west indies previously to play t20 competitions around the world?

And it would be fine if before the ashes many players retire and decide to play the IPL?

Let alone that if,in fact if the English players this season miss practice games /Training camp etc.. before the srilanka tour to England there will be a big uproar.
Eoin Morgan has already started to be blamed in some sections ,as he is not playing first class cricket when he is next in line to replace Collingwood.

I am pretty sure if the BCCI removes the rule that you require a NOC from your own board before competing in the IPL ,then there will be many players missing international game and even retiring to play IPL and CLt20 plus other tournaments.You will be fine with it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah who the **** is Mawoyo anyways?
He scored a big hundred against New Zealand A for the Mountaineers. Other than that his claim to fame is being picked for Zimbabwe A repeatedly despite being about the 40th best batsman domestically.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So Basically you think Gayle and Pollard were not wrong to opt out of playing for the west indies previously to play t20 competitions around the world?

And it would be fine if before the ashes many players retire and decide to play the IPL?

Let alone that if,in fact if the English players this season miss practice games /Training camp etc.. before the srilanka tour to England there will be a big uproar.
Eoin Morgan has already started to be blamed in some sections ,as he is not playing first class cricket when he is next in line to replace Collingwood.

I am pretty sure if the BCCI removes the rule that you require a NOC from your own board before competing in the IPL ,then there will be many players missing international game and even retiring to play IPL and CLt20 plus other tournaments.You will be fine with it?
Look, if you want a discussion, answer the points and hand and don't build straw men.