• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Jacknife

International Captain
It probably wasn't a sensible shot from KP, Johnson was bowling quickly, and KP previously played a hook shot off him but didn't look comfortable, would in hindsight have been better putting that shot away off Johnson who obviously slants it across the right-hander. And as you say, he removed Bell and Colly in very similar fashion in Melbourne.

He's got a few starts KP but has not gone on anywhere near consistently as some of his team-mates, which is a shame, after Adelaide I thought he was really going to kick on.

It could go either way, just hoping the rest of our batting ensure we get a healthy enough lead.
Yes, if they all leave the bounce alone and don't go fishing outside off stump they should do alright, England really need a big partnership or 2 out of either Cook, Colly, Bell or Prior with a bit of Besnan and Swann thrown in.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
With regards the section in bold, I wanted you to understand that I appreciate he is a young player and therefore do not expect him to be anything like the finished article.

As we're quite an advanced nation over here, I even had access to Live coverage, so was able to make a full judgement on proceedings. How accurate a judgement is open to debate.

To take his innings in absolute isolation I would arrive at a conclusion something like this -
A young impetuous cricketer that seems intent on trying to hit the ball as hard as he can, and consequently loses all shape in his shots. He is unorthodox which is not necessarily a bad thing, but there do seem some obvious deficiencies he must work hard on.

He's not afraid to play his shots, but his selection in playing the right ones at the right time must improve, and hopefully will do so with experience. Also with experience his match awareness will hopefully improve, to try and smash a drive Jimmy Anderson who was at the time swinging it round corners (although this may not be clearly visible if you're at the game) with a new ball and pitching it up in search of this loose stroke, is naive, but can be put down to inexperience, providing he learns from his mistakes.

He can strike the ball cleanly and can get the ball into unusual areas making it difficult to set a field to him. But he does not seem ready yet for Test cricket.

I absolutely agree mate, it's each to their own, and would be dull if we all agreed on which players we rate.
His non existant backfoot play would lead me to set a careful field to him and then bowl about chest height. That said, he must have a really good eye or you would think FC bowlers would have found him out earlier by doing this.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't know what Tubby Taylor is on with his call that the no ball should stay legit and Cook (and in the last test, Prior) should stay out. It's a no ball, for ****'s sake. The umpire may urge on the side of caution and not call the no ball, knowing he can review it. Spinners shouldn't be bowling no balls at all in the first place, but I'd rather the right decision is made than "The Moment (TM)" is preserved.
WTF Tubbs? :laugh:

If we hear a thinner argument in the remaining 361 days of 2011 we'll be doing well.

Only watched some of today, but I did see Smith's dismissal.

In my view, more harm than good is being done by playing him when he clearly shouldn't be playing test cricket right now.
Too much of the wishful thinking about Smith's selection IMHO. He potentially ticks a lot of boxes (can bat top six, leg spinner, gun fielder) but WRT the former two he's not test standard as of now.

Puts me in mind of us picking Fred a good 2-3 years before he was ready, actually.

Also, hate to say it, but this test has a bit of a "Perth" vibe about it. Would snatch your arm off for 300 from here, tbh.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Would snatch your arm off for 300 from here, tbh.
There's no doubt we could concede a deficit here, and so 300 wouldn't be disastrous, but frankly I'd be disappointed with it. I think you need a first innings lead if you're batting last at Sydney, and at 167-3 we bloody well ought to get one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's no doubt we could concede a deficit here, and so 300 wouldn't be disastrous, but frankly I'd be disappointed with it. I think you need a first innings lead if you're batting last at Sydney, and at 167-3 we bloody well ought to get one.
I hate to revert to pessimistic pom poofta type, but I suspect if Cook goes early it'll be house of cards time. If he hangs around I think he can anchor things a la Trotters at Melbourne tho.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate to revert to pessimistic pom poofta type, but I suspect if Cook goes early it'll be house of cards time. If he hangs around I think he can anchor things a la Trotters at Melbourne tho.
Could be. I agree Cook is going to be very important. On the highlights the ball seemed to be swinging all day yesterday. But even so, we only need another 133 to get to 300 and with 7 wickets in hand we really ought to be getting there comfortably.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Really thought that the LBW should have been given. In the case where the batsman isn't playing a shot when it's close the benefit of the doubt should go to the bowler. Make the batsman guess as to whether they use a referral or not.
You don't get the idea of the review system really do you? It shouldn't be for umpires to make wrong calls so teams have to guess whether to refer.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's been interesting is all through the series so far the various parts of the batting orders have been largely consistent in the way they've performed for the most part. Your top order has been great, ours has been ****. Your middle-lower order had been pretty ordinary, ours has saved our arses a few times.

Really is time for Bell to convert a start for England and to have the tail contribute usefully.