• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Woodster

International Captain
I'd give Pietersen a short spell in the morning, I reckon he'll be dangerous if he can land a few in the rough because he's tall and is actually a decent turner of the ball.

As he's a part timer he might leak a few with bad balls, but at the moment, the potential benefit outweighs the downside.
It may be they slightly delay the taking of the old ball if KP gets a few to rip in his remaining four balls of his unfinished over. The problem is we may only have a session and a half to try and finish off Australia if this atrocious weather arrives in mid afternoon. Strauss will want to give his main bowlers the opportunity to bowl as many overs as they can to win us the game, but if KP looks threatening you might be right, just a couple of overs at the start bowling with Swann.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will Broad be fit to bowl? England could really miss him if an annoying partnership develops at some stage.

JBH001

International Regular
North going to be more confident against the quicks, isn't he? Once you get past him and Haddin, it's the tail although Doherty and Siddle can bat a little. I reckon Swann and Pietersen for a couple of overs each - with Pietersen continuing at his current end - before Anderson and Broad with the new ball.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Latest weather update says morning showers increasing by 12pm, thunderstorms in the afternoon. Come on North you slacker, just hang on.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my own mind i am resigned to it being a draw as i think the weather will save the convicts, should we win it is a huge bonus and i will probably wake up the whole house if we do.

simmy

International Regular
North going to be more confident against the quicks, isn't he? Once you get past him and Haddin, it's the tail although Doherty and Siddle can bat a little. I reckon Swann and Pietersen for a couple of overs each - with Pietersen continuing at his current end - before Anderson and Broad with the new ball.
This.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good that the UDRS is finally being used properly though.
Exactly so. It's for the howlers, not the marginals.

Uppercut to Hill tho; not giving Clarke out when the ball had actually come off the face of the bat was staggering. Could see why he gave the Clarke out for the one he missed as he seemed to hit his boot with the bat as the ball passed.

Justice served in both cases tho, which I guess is the merit of UDRS.

tooextracool

International Coach
Agree with this, Swann looked good early in the innings when he was virtually allowed to bowl wherever he wanted by the Aussie top 3, but once Clarke and Hussey came together they forced his hand a bit and from thereon he just wasn't able to bowl with any consistentcy. Had Swann really bowled well, Australia would have been 6 or 7 down by now, but having said that he still has tomorrow to rectify things, and he would be up against two left handers on a turning pitch, so things really couldn't be any more favourable for him.
Think players who use their feet against Swann have unsettled him to some extent. He tries to bowl a full length and if you can get to the pitch of the ball, he struggles to adapt to that as he is rarely able to beat the batsman through the air. Hussey and Clarke did that quite well yesterday and credit to them.

Woodster

International Captain
Think players who use their feet against Swann have unsettled him to some extent. He tries to bowl a full length and if you can get to the pitch of the ball, he struggles to adapt to that as he is rarely able to beat the batsman through the air. Hussey and Clarke did that quite well yesterday and credit to them.
Swann did bowl well,no doubt about that, but in Clarke and Hussey you have two very good players of spin, any batsmen that are as quick on their feet as these two are and willing to come down the pitch to unsettle the spinner are going to be difficult to bowl to. Inevitably they will get to the pitch to eliminate the spin and nullify Swann's effectiveness, but only to an extent. Swann stuck to his gameplan, and caused them both problems. Against the lesser talented players of spin, such as North, Haddin, etc, he should pick up a few more wickets.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, think you have to credit Hussey and in particular Clarke for the positive way they played Swann. Wouldn't say they unsettled him, but he did seem as if he was pushing it through a little quicker after Clarke came down to the pitch a couple of times.

Said as much in his interview with Nass, in fact.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well my thoughts are that he bowled quite well, but I don't think it was a special spell, the kind that would escalate people's opinions about him. I think yesterday, for the first time in this series he was bowling in conditions that made it an even contest between bat and ball but still the 2 quality batsmen won the battle.