• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How much of that is the pitch and how much the bowlers though?

I went to sleep when Cook tonned up and England's lead was about 20, but in the Kp/Cook partnership up until that point, I can't remember them remotely looking in any trouble. No play and misses, no close lbw shouts, no edges not carrying/flying through gaps. Ok, the pitch is a road, so I'm not expecting the bowlers to create a massive amount, but there was literally nothing for either batsman to be alarmed at.

edit: @DeusEx
The same was true of Hussey, North and Haddin for long stretches yesterday. There are almost no false shots at all once a batsman is set. If you hit hard with the new ball and bowl tight lines later you can keep up just enough pressure to roll a batting lineup, but if you drop straightforward catches at gully off Jonathan Trott the opposing team is pretty much in there for as long as they want.

greg

International Debutant
I will never be able to take Cook seriously as an all time great after I saw him bat this summer.
Well Bradman had a dodgy technique, apparently:)

Warming to the theme, cr*p technique or otherwise, there is only one test nation against which Cook does not average at least 40 and only one test nation in which he does not average at least 40 (other than Pakistan).

But then New Zealand can be a bit of a bowler's paradise.

Evermind

International Debutant
People calling for Ponting's head already.

But who's gonna lead the team?

Clarke? You gotta be kidding me.

The absurd fact is that other than Watson, Ponting and Clarke, I can't see a permanent member of this Aussie team here. Haddin maybe. No idea if he's captaincy material.

I guess that leaves Watson, providing he doesn't get injured anytime soon. His overs today were laborious, to say the least.

greg

International Debutant
People calling for Ponting's head already.

But who's gonna lead the team?

Clarke? You gotta be kidding me.

The absurd fact is that other than Watson, Ponting and Clarke, I can't see a permanent member of this Aussie team here. Haddin maybe. No idea if he's captaincy material.

I guess that leaves Watson, providing he doesn't get injured anytime soon. His overs today were laborious, to say the least.
Since they're struggling so much to find 6 test class batsman, perhaps they should just revert to the old English theory of picking a captain for his captaincy?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The same was true of Hussey, North and Haddin for long stretches yesterday. There are almost no false shots at all once a batsman is set. If you hit hard with the new ball and bowl tight lines later you can keep up just enough pressure to roll a batting lineup, but if you drop straightforward catches at gully off Jonathan Trott the opposing team is pretty much in there for as long as they want.
Hussey and Haddin both had the odd moment of alarm though - Hussey was dropped and edged just short of slip, Haddin had a close lbw shout that was turned down. Australia haven't even created those "if only" moments against Cook and KP.

Australia just don't look like they can bowl to a plan. Just before I switched off Watson had mid on, midwicket, silly mid on and short midwicket to Pietersen - obviously challenging KP to score through a congested field, with a couple of catchers in case he hits one in the air. So Watson bowls long hops wide outside off and gets smashed through the covers. Was pathetic bowling.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Mail is that Dussey is in line to be picked next in place of North

I like Duss and think he's been desperately unlucky not to have won a cap but they should pick Hughes and give the kid an extended run
My inside goss tells me also that David Hussey is next in line. Dont know how much you could bank on it, but ive been informed he is almost pencilled in for the next test.

Last edited:

greg

International Debutant
Who was the last (permanent) Aussie test captain to be deposed without simultaneously relinquishing their place in the side?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey and Haddin both had the odd moment of alarm though - Hussey was dropped and edged just short of slip, Haddin had a close lbw shout that was turned down. Australia haven't even created those "if only" moments against Cook and KP.

Australia just don't look like they can bowl to a plan. Just before I switched off Watson had mid on, midwicket, silly mid on and short midwicket to Pietersen - obviously challenging KP to score through a congested field, with a couple of catchers in case he hits one in the air. So Watson bowls long hops wide outside off and gets smashed through the covers. Was pathetic bowling.
This

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I've noticed this too. That's the worst example, but they generally just give runs away with a lot of balls on the hips and leg-side deliveries that get flicked for one. Can't tie a batsman down.

Ponting doesn't defend properly, he just puts men on the boundaries. I'm not sure whether that came before or after the inaccurate bowling. Bit chicken-and-egg.

iamdavid

International Debutant
My inside goss tells me also that David Hussey is next in line. Dont know how much you could bank on it, but ive been informed he is almost pencilled in for the next test.
This would be seriously awesome if true, picking D Hussey one match after discarding Johnson would go a long way to restoring my faith in this selection panel.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Since they're struggling so much to find 6 test class batsman, perhaps they should just revert to the old English theory of picking a captain for his captaincy?
George Bailey lol ? In all seriousness Katich is the best man to captain the team if Ponting was for some reason unable or unwanted, but he's only going to be around another two years tops, so no use.

Blaze 18

Banned
Draw is the most likely result here, in my opinion. Australia will not screw up twice, they will bat much better than they did in the first innings.

greg

International Debutant
Draw is the most likely result here, in my opinion. Australia will not screw up twice, they will bat much better than they did in the first innings.
Unless there is serious rain disruption, Australia are likely to have to bat for a minimum of 5 sessions on a pitch with a history of becoming increasingly difficult to bat on. It could have already gone some way beyond "not screwing up again" to have a chance of saving the game. At Adelaide you have to score your runs in the first innings. The fortune for England losing the toss has even given them extra time through not having to waste time batting in their second innings.

TumTum

Banned
We will need to post over 500 to save the game, and our top order will most likely collapse early again, with the middle order fighting it till the end.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, I've noticed this too. That's the worst example, but they generally just give runs away with a lot of balls on the hips and leg-side deliveries that get flicked for one. Can't tie a batsman down.

Ponting doesn't defend properly, he just puts men on the boundaries. I'm not sure whether that came before or after the inaccurate bowling. Bit chicken-and-egg.
He stuck a fielder out sweeping the offside boundary after Pietersen's first boundary of the over, when a better idea might have been to tell Watson to bowl to his field. Putting the man out didn't help when Watson bowled an even worse delivery next up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How has he suddenly leap frogged Khawaja? Don't tell me he's going to come inndue to his 'useful' offies!

M0rphin3

International Debutant
We will need to post over 500 to save the game, and our top order will most likely collapse early again, with the middle order fighting it till the end.
awta, north and pup are the weak links, tbh. Unless north is being played purely as a spinner, he's got nothing to do in the XI.