• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Can anyone come up with a higher mid-series average (finite) than Cook's 438?
Wally Hammond - 227 and 336* v NZ,1933
Hashim Amla - 253*, 114 and 123* v India, 2010

Both completed series.

Edit: that's 563 and 490 for the lazy.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook is not far off Strauss's 09 run tally, I.e the top score of that series. Crazy7.

Can he keep it up?

greg

International Debutant
Cook's average has jumped about 4 points since the start of the series (43-47).
As much as there is a permanent aversion to doing this for England players, people might have to start including him as a potential "all-time great". He's certainly young enough to break every longevity linked record in the book (he's played about the same number of tests as had Tendulkar at the same age, in five years fewer) and a step shift in his average will make that a serious possibility, if England continue to play the same volume of test cricket throughout his career.

Ruckus

International Captain
As much as there is a permanent aversion to doing this for England players, people might have to start including him as a potential "all-time great".
nah, I really doubt he will become an all-time great. There are so many players who could be listed as 'potential all-time greats' but have never actually reached that status. I think Cook will probably continue to average around 45 for the rest of his career. You have to take his form here with a grain of salt as well, because he is clearly in a peak at the moment and has had the benefit of playing on incredibly flat pitches where others around him have also scored centuries. Not to take anything away from him though, it still takes a big effort to score like he has (managed to do what Australia's batsmen couldn't).

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As much as there is a permanent aversion to doing this for England players, people might have to start including him as a potential "all-time great". He's certainly young enough to break every longevity linked record in the book (he's played about the same number of tests as had Tendulkar at the same age, in five years fewer) and a step shift in his average will make that a serious possibility, if England continue to play the same volume of test cricket throughout his career.
He will certainly break all English batting records but whether he becomes an all time great is open for too much debate at present.He could easily keep his average up in the high 40's as there are so few decent bowlers around at present but is he good enough to break into the 50's and stay there with his technique?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see him going quietly. He'll be too proud to stand down on his own, with the 2011 World Cup so near. The selectors might not want to change the captain with the World Cup starting in under 3 months either.

The best time for him to stand down as captain would have been after 2005 - sometimes being given extra chances to succeed ends up being more chances to fail ...
If there was a clear successor then I don't think there would be any problems in dropping Ponting, or him retiring. Clarke is the vc, but he isn't exactly in the greatest form and his back injury would be a concern, because he could miss matches with the injury.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well you had enough of it over the years, used to enjoy watching Mark Waugh bat though even if it was painful to watch at times.
Winning or not though, I don't really like to watch anyone bat when there is literally no contest between bat and ball. A century is so much sweeter when the batsmen has to fight for it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Clarke doesn't even act like the vice captain, Marcus North does.

If we bowl well tomorrow and take 8/150 we willbe in virtually the same position as England were last Test.

Optimism FTW

greg

International Debutant
He will certainly break all English batting records but whether he becomes an all time great is open for too much debate at present.He could easily keep his average up in the high 40's as there are so few decent bowlers around at present but is he good enough to break into the 50's and stay there with his technique?
To be fair, all my post proposed that he be considered a potential all-time great! The small number apparently playing in the Ashes being used my many as an excuse to rubbish this series.

As for the more ambitious proposition - well it depends on how you define all-time great. But somebody who ended up as an all-time leading run scorer would have a valid claim. Which for Cook would possibly only require an average in the mid-high forties if he played for long enough (and if somebody can persuade Tendulkar to set a fixed target! ;) .)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How much of that is the pitch and how much the bowlers though?

I went to sleep when Cook tonned up and England's lead was about 20, but in the Kp/Cook partnership up until that point, I can't remember them remotely looking in any trouble. No play and misses, no close lbw shouts, no edges not carrying/flying through gaps. Ok, the pitch is a road, so I'm not expecting the bowlers to create a massive amount, but there was literally nothing for either batsman to be alarmed at.

edit: @DeusEx

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Clarke doesn't even act like the vice captain, Marcus North does.

If we bowl well tomorrow and take 8/150 we willbe in virtually the same position as England were last Test.

Optimism FTW
true, but that is incredibly unlikely given the state of the pitch, the amount of batting to come, the poor form of our bowlers and the fact that we have unreliable batsmen that would have to produce a massive second innings total on a deteriorating day 4/5 pitch in conditions likely to be worse than at the Gabba.

Realism FTW :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
I will never be able to take Cook seriously as an all time great after I saw him bat this summer.