• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where in the world is Zulqarnain Haider?

Lostman

State Captain
Lol @ fixing Pakistan domestic matches. Should try and fix the under 14s match at my local cricket club next.
I have a hard time believing that Pakistan domestic games are fixed for gambling reasons.
Where are they going to get enough action from to cover everyone? Or maybe the domestic cricketers have low standards and will throw a game for a few thousand $.

Must be some nepotism inspired fix, to help someones son/nephew get noticed:blink:

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
errr......for some reason we always tend to end up blaming others far too often for my liking.........
i dont think i have tried to shift the blame - it ultimately lies with the individual.

all i am saying is that if you want to solve the problem SOMEONE will have to get at the bookies/mafia

smash84

The Tiger King
i dont think i have tried to shift the blame - it ultimately lies with the individual.

all i am saying is that if you want to solve the problem SOMEONE will have to get at the bookies/mafia
I am sure that the bookies are just not operating out of India. Get the Pakistani bookies first and then start looking around. That is my suggestion.

The only thing that I feel is that we first need to get our house in order before pointing fingers at others. Something that we increasingly fail to do. Get the Pakistani bookies first and then see what can be done about the situation.

And for the record BCCI (at an absolute level they might suck big time but PCB makes them look quite efficient) has been much better in handling the match fixing affairs than the PCB. So the chances are that if PCB comes round to handling their own match fixing issues (which are huge) then BCCI would be able to deal with its issues as well.

Flem274*

123/5
This is very, very sad. When Haider came onto the scene his passion and pride in his Pakistan cap was exactly what the side needed. Haider, Ajmal etc have the attitudes needed to turn this **** around.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Maybe there is another Imran Khan?
I hope so....we so need an Imran ...

I honestly believed in Younis Khan to be that man....and i still believe this guy left only because the SL test series was deliberately thrown by Pak players of that time.....they were not punished they were not expelled from the team...but Younis left because of them.

pup11

International Coach
I mean this is a ****ing disgrace!! Jeez, can't believe this sort of thing is happening right under the noses of the PCB and the ICC and they still are not acting on this.
I would really like to applaud Haider for the guts he has shown, when the easiest thing would have been to go with the flow of things and betray the game and his country.
Though its an absolute shame to see the way his own cricket board is harassing this lad, hope rest of the cricket world show him some support, because it seems he is certainly not going to get any help from his own people, I guess such courtesy is only reserved for fixers and cheats....
Also don't know how other nations can continue playing cricket with Pakistan with the way things are, because the opposition players like the fans are being taken for a ride, and I don't think many players would like to be a part of this whole manipulated scam.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I mean this is a ****ing disgrace!! Jeez, can't believe this sort of thing is happening right under the noses of the PCB and the ICC and they still are not acting on this.
I would really like to applaud Haider for the guts he has shown, when the easiest thing would have been to go with the flow of things and betray the game and his country.
Though its an absolute shame to see the way his own cricket board is harassing this lad, hope rest of the cricket world show him some support, because it seems he is certainly not going to get any help from his own people, I guess such courtesy is only reserved for fixers and cheats....
Also don't know how other nations can continue playing cricket with Pakistan with the way things are, because the opposition players like the fans are being taken for a ride, and I don't think many players would like to be a part of this whole manipulated scam.
Getting to the point where Pakistan needs to implement special anti corruption procedures that curtail the privacy of its players.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Ok, now some little doubts have started to creep in ...in my mind anyways...

Officialdom in Pakistan has finally made contact with Zulqarnain Haider in a continuing bid to find out the exact nature of events prior to the wicketkeeper's sudden fleeing of Dubai for London. The PCB chairman Ijaz Butt spoke with Haider on Thursday and Wajid Shamsul Hasan, Pakistan's high commissioner to the UK, also met with the 24-year-old.

Though Haider told a local news channel that support and assistance had been offered by Ijaz Butt, a board spokesman said the purpose of the communication had been solely "to find out what made him do what he did." The PCB's three-man fact-finding committee - comprised team manager Intikhab Alam, the security manager Major Najam Javed and a senior board official Subhan Ahmed - has also been trying to establish contact, without success so far.

Questions, however, are still being asked about Haider's actions five days after the event. He insists he fled because of threats he received after turning down the approaches of an unidentified man who wanted him to be involved in fixing the last two ODIs against South Africa.

In an interview with BBC, Haider confirmed the approach was made before the fourth ODI, in which his unbeaten 19 helped Pakistan home in a nail-biter. Taffazul Rizvi, the board's legal advisor, asked why Haider waited until Monday before deciding to leave; the latest the approach could have occurred was Thursday (the fourth ODI was on Friday), which means he waited four days before leaving.

"In our culture, when are you worried about your family's safety, you run to their side," Rizvi told the Daily Telegraph. "Whereas he has run to a different country."

Reports have also emerged indicating Haider was on the verge of being dropped from the one-day line-up. The influential Urdu daily Jang claimed in a front page report, citing team sources, that Haider was not inked in to be a part of either the fourth or fifth ODI. Instead, in a bid to find a better balance to the side, the team management was keen on doubling up Umar Akmal as a batsman-wicketkeeper in his place.

But an ankle injury prevented Umar Akmal from playing the fourth ODI and though he fulfilled that role after Haider's departure in the last ODI, Jang claims he would have done so regardless of Haider's status. The report suggests that Haider had been told of his 'resting' the evening before the last ODI.

Haider, who has sought asylum in the UK and retired from international cricket, also said that he handed over two letters he received in his Dubai hotel room to the ICC's anti-corruption unit. ESPNcricinfo understands, however, that the ICC at least has not received any documents yet from the player.
I tend to agree on those 2 points...plus if its true that he wasn't going to play the 5th ODI...he could easily be making this up.

Also, if his wife and kids were in Pak and his family was also threatened...wouldn't you want to run to their saftey first?

I don't know...but i am having some doubts on his credibility now.