• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Deleted my post due to confusion. I've got a headache from trying to read that post.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ikki was right for the second, but yeah not the first.

Either way, aussie now knows that

we're does not = where

and

were does not = where.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
First, I don't give a crap if you call me misinformed or whatever else but do not generalize. This is an official warning.

Second, the crazy reason was that he sucked at it. Apparantely, having to perform well before being successful only applies to Sehwag in South Africa.
Firstly its unfortunate that i have to generalize, but thats what i've seen. Since i've been on CW over the years @ least, a stready drumbeat from pretty much every Indian fan on this site. Along with most i know in England before the recent AUS vs India series that still had some doubts for alot of crazy reasons about Ponting ability to play spin.

Secondly yes its clear he sucked. After years of people claming due that Ponting can't be rated highly as great batsman unless he scored a hundred in India. He scored a hundred in 2008 & he sucked. The logic is very strong here.

So Ponting pretty much corrected his faults in India in 2008 which caused him to average sub 20 in India. Something Sehwag has to do in SA given he averaged 14 in his last series in that country in 2006/07.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So by your standard, if Sehwag scores 100 in SA he can play pace bowling right?

Because Ponting scored a ton in a drawn test match where no result was likely by the end of day 4. So if Sehwag scores 100 in a draw, he's still all good.

Anyway I don't think people said Ponting couldn't play spin. He just had a bad record in India, which he needed to rectify. He went a long way to improving that in 2008, but it still wasn't that good. 2010 was very good.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So by your standard, if Sehwag scores 100 in SA he can play pace bowling right?

Because Ponting scored a ton in a drawn test match where no result was likely by the end of day 4. So if Sehwag scores 100 in a draw, he's still all good.

Anyway I don't think people said Ponting couldn't play spin. He just had a bad record in India, which he needed to rectify. He went a long way to improving that in 2008, but it still wasn't that good. 2010 was very good.
What does the result of the test have to with the fact that Ponting scored hundred?. Plus don't twist this to make this my standard. Since i can bring up a list of many many top test hundreds in test history where batsmen scored againts top pace attacks/spin attacks in bowlers conditions, where the match ended a draw. Thus making it universal standard in cricket history.

So once Sehwag scores a hundred againts a full-strenght SA attack, thats perfect. An Indian win, lost or draw wont be relevant.

Ponting played spin just as competenly in 2008 as he did in 2010. With all due respect (i say this before somebody accuses me of talking down to you or being arrogant again), i really dont know what you where watching if you saw otherwise. What troubled him in 2008 was reverse-swing of Khan & Sharma.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Firstly its unfortunate that i have to generalize
No, you don't have to generalize.

, but thats what i've seen. Since i've been on CW over the years @ least, a stready drumbeat from pretty much every Indian fan on this site.
My warning was not an invitation to justify your actions, nor was it an invitation to start a debate.

Any further concerns or comments, email the moderators.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What does the result of the test have to with the fact that Ponting scored hundred?. Plus don't twist this to make this my standard. Since i can bring up a list of many many top test hundreds in test history where batsmen scored againts top pace attacks/spin attacks in bowlers conditions, where the match ended a draw. Thus making it universal standard in cricket history.

So once Sehwag scores a hundred againts a full-strenght SA attack, thats perfect. An Indian win, lost or draw wont be relevant.

Ponting played spin just as competenly in 2008 as he did in 2010. With all due respect (i say this before somebody accuses me of talking down to you or being arrogant again), i really dont know what you where watching if you saw otherwise. What troubled him in 2008 was reverse-swing of Khan & Sharma.
A draw suggests the pitch didn't break up. Big difference playing spin on day 1 compared to day 4 and 5 is my point.

Mate, I agree, he played spin pretty well in 2008. But doing it twice is surely better? For a lot of his knocks he barely faced spin because he was out by the pace bowlers before he even faced Kumble and Harbhajan or Mishra and Harbhajan.

Anyway I've never once really believe Ponting couldn't play spin. Just believed that Harbhajan had a mental edge over him.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
A draw suggests the pitch didn't break up. Big difference playing spin on day 1 compared to day 4 and 5 is my point.

Mate, I agree, he played spin pretty well in 2008. But doing it twice is surely better? For a lot of his knocks he barely faced spin because he was out by the pace bowlers before he even faced Kumble and Harbhajan or Mishra and Harbhajan.

Anyway I've never once really believe Ponting couldn't play spin. Just believed that Harbhajan had a mental edge over him.
Thought it was pretty clear throughout his career that Ponting has never had any issues with playing spin itself. Harbhajan just happened to beat him up a couple times in 2001 and its stuck.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The irony is, the last time India toured here, Ponting was about the only bloke Harbhajan got out, or for the most part looked like getting out. Played him well in the series just gone though.

Top_Cat

Stop being pedantic. While Bhaji has had the wood on ponting, it's clear he doesn't have technical issues with playing spin
Yeah but the point he was making is that the proof Ponting has more trouble with Harbhajan stems from 2001 but continues over a couple of other series'. Don't think it's a beat to say Ponting has struggled against Harbhajan.

The beat-up happens to everyone anyway. Blewett was humbled by Mushie years ago and suddenly he had a problem with spin bowlers, Bevan flinches against England and suddenly he can't play pace bowling, Mark Nicholas wears pink ties and is gay*, etc.

*Jury's out.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but the point he was making is that the proof Ponting has more trouble with Harbhajan stems from 2001 but continues over a couple of other series'. Don't think it's a beat to say Ponting has struggled against Harbhajan.

The beat-up happens to everyone anyway. Blewett was humbled by Mushie years ago and suddenly he had a problem with spin bowlers, Bevan flinches against England and suddenly he can't play pace bowling, Mark Nicholas wears pink ties and is gay*, etc.

*Jury's out.
I should have mentioned he's had continued problems against Harbhajan since 2001.

I meant to say the issue of him playing spin has stuck, when in reality its a mental issue against one particular bowler.

vcs

aussie : It wasn't a full strength SA attack when Sehwag scored a hundred there on his debut?

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

*Jury's out.
Do you recall that horrendous LBW Mushie got against Blewett in 1999 at the Gabba? Pitched outside off, spinning away, flicked the bad which was miles outside off stump, umpire figured it was wrong un, fired Blewie out. One of the worst LBW's ive seen, up there with Punters debut dismissal.