• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

G.I.Joe

International Coach
AWTA. Bradman easily the bulliest Flat Track Bully. aussie must be one of those Sehwag fanboys.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That accolade, along with being the most destructive batsman in test history overall, belongs to a certain Mr. Bradman.
Bradman was a freak of nature. No analysis affects him or tags are needed to be labelled on him.

Although Bradman's post-war era had no quality pace attacks outside of Bodyline 1932 (although his team mates of Gregory/McDonald where ok) for batsmen to face. The fact that he averaged 50 odd given those ridiculous bodyline tacts (which is akin to coming around the wicket a bowling into a batsman arpit over & over) - shows how great he was.

I dont believe he would have averaged 99 if he had played between the 50s-90s where alot of quality pace attacks where present. But its safe to presume he would have still averaged better than all other great batsmen, especially when you think that in the 2000s era where pitches a quality of pace bowling was comparbale to the 30s & 40s - none of the FTBs averaged anything close to 99.

He definately would not have averaged sub-20 in a series againts quality pace-attacks in helpful conditions that Sehwag has failed in so many times.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
aussie must be one of those Sehwag fanboys.
As I haven't read many of his posts in this thread, I presume you are right. If someone thinks that Sehwag is more destructive on flat tracks than Bradman ever was, then he must be the craziest fanboy of Sehwag.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With regards to pitches, there was a general view that the Adelaide pitch was the best during the 1990s and so pressure came to replicate it.

The WACA got dangerous and ridiculous in one Test (this one, tried finding vision from later on where balls were grubbing and flying all over the place but couldn't get it) especially, whilst the SCG has had quite a few resurfacings.
I did some basic Statsguru-ing and it turns out that the average runs per wicket in the past decade in Australia is 36.07 while it was 31.11 in the '90s. Interesting. Very big deviation that.

EDIT : There's a pretty big deviation for India as well. Hmm.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Probably has to do with the fact that both line-ups were littered with all-time great bats during the decade.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
With regards to pitches, there was a general view that the Adelaide pitch was the best during the 1990s and so pressure came to replicate it.

The WACA got dangerous and ridiculous in one Test (this one, tried finding vision from later on where balls were grubbing and flying all over the place but couldn't get it) especially, whilst the SCG has had quite a few resurfacings.
Yep that pitch was awful, poor Blewett copping that grubber from Ambrose in the 2nd innings.

robelinda

I am interested to know when this drop-in pitch business started in Australia. Is that why Perth also doesn't offer as much bounce these days as it used to earlier? I remember the MCG pitch being a fairly lively one in '99 when Tendulkar scored a hundred there. Is it fair to say that Australian conditions have become fairly homogenized and more batsman-friendly in this decade compared to earlier?
Pitch wasnt lively in 99, it rained every ay of that test, so more overhead conditions contributing to bowling success. Australia batted fairly easily from memory, Gilchrist and Ponting had a great partnership in between rain breaks. Actually that was the match Gangily refused to leave the crease after being bowled by Blewett, he just stood there and wanted to watch the reply, quite funny!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yep that pitch was awful, poor Blewett copping that grubber from Ambrose in the 2nd innings.
Watching the first innings highlights here (this youtube user is awesome, for the record) and a few things to note:

- Bevan plays a ripping knock, the Sachin-esque guide over slips off Bishop a highlight
- Look at the carry that Phil Simmons gets when he dismisses Greg Blewett
- How well the Windies field

robelinda

Watching the first innings highlights here (this youtube user is awesome, for the record) and a few things to note:

- Bevan plays a ripping knock, the Sachin-esque guide over slips off Bishop a highlight
- Look at the carry that Phil Simmons gets when he dismisses Greg Blewett
- How well the Windies field
Got the whole match ball by ball on dvd, dont need no stinkin you tube! Bevan did bat well, but boy was he beaten a lot outside off stump, its a miracle he survived so long without being dismissed. The pitch wasnt too bad on Day 1, but by Day 3 it was just awful. Bishop bowled several balls which just hit a crack and went miles off the pitch for 4, pretty funny. Also interesting was the sledging by Australia, which got completely out of hand and Taylor and Lara had a face to face which looked ugly. Hayden was really tearing into Robert Samuels and Lara was getting stuck in as you can imagine. Lara's 132 was one of the best he's played, really went after McGrath that afternoon.

Burgey

The curious thing there of course, is how Bevan negotiates Ambrose bowling his fair share of short stuff in Perth, yet failed against Gough et al in England bowling the same stuff.

He deserved it anyway, making blokes bring their own food to a BBQ at his joint. WAC.

robelinda

Its is curious indeed. Even in 94 Gough peppered him and Bevan failed, yet somehow Bevan survived for those two tests v WI. I think the WI bowlers went a bit nuts with the short stuff at Bevan, and bowled really high bouncers which didnt trouble him. Its odd too, because Bevan's first innings in the series at the Gabba he was out first ball to Walsh fending off a shortish ball to gully, and everyone was thinking 'here we go again'. He was dropped after the next test then came back at Adelaide yet didnt face much short stuff, Ambrose was injured too for that test, Patterson Thompson tried to be menacing but ended up just being plain crap. Makes me think who was worse- Marlon Black or Patterson Thompson?

Top_Cat

Patterson Thompson by miles. Marlon Black was a decent bowler I thought, just had a bad series and his lack of movement hurt him I reckon.

As for Bevvo, he had no trouble with the short stuff, he just flinched when Gough got him in Melbs and it painted him poorly. Had way more trouble nicking out to fairly innocuous balls at that stage of his career.

tbh, surprised at the lack of discussion about how badly Mick Clarke played that short one from Sharma in Mohali. Looked worse than Bev's I thought. Reckon we'll see fewer in his half from now on.

smash84

The Tiger King
Patterson Thompson by miles. Marlon Black was a decent bowler I thought, just had a bad series and his lack of movement hurt him I reckon.

As for Bevvo, he had no trouble with the short stuff, he just flinched when Gough got him in Melbs and it painted him poorly. Had way more trouble nicking out to fairly innocuous balls at that stage of his career.

tbh, surprised at the lack of discussion about how badly Mick Clarke played that short one from Sharma in Mohali. Looked worse than Bev's I thought. Reckon we'll see fewer in his half from now on.
I agree.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Sehwag hasn't changed anything. Throughout his career unless he has gotten a flat track whether facing a quality pace attack or joke attack - thats the only time when he smoked those hundreds @ more than a run a ball. Gilchrist did that @ 7 in this era gone & Hayden also @ close to run-a-ball as well.

But the many times he has encounted good/very good/top-class/ATG fast bowlers on seamers/bouncy decks he has failed abysmally. What is revolutionary about such a batsmen?. If he goes to SA this year end and has another series where he averages sub 20 as he has done in the past when he faced quality attacks overseas - Sehwag will simply go down as the most destructive batsman in test history on flat tracks.

If he can score those more han a run-a-ball hundreds againts a great attack he will prove that do it not just on roads but everywhere & that will be truly revolutionary, given it has only really happened once to great attack on helpul deck in test history (Fredricks @ Petth 76)

I wouldn't have to dismiss none of great knocks Lara & Tendy for eg played in AUS. Since they faced scored them againts great AUS attacks. That MCG hundred was againts the worst AUS home attack during the glroy years of 95-2006/07 - that pitch being flat then just made it even worse & the knock less significant, since we have seen all before from Sehwag.

Waugh & Ponting also scored hundred againts good foreign attacks in AUS also. So i dont know what you are talking about.

Ok. So if you are playing a test match on bouncy deck like Perth, Barbados, Jamaica, Durban & a few balls here or their over the course of the 5 days test keeps low. Would you call that a pitch with uneven bounce?? SMH

Plus i dont know since when Mohali is "typical bouncy deck". Lucky over the past 10 years England (2001, 2006, 2008) & Ausralian (08, 10) (plus i saw a bit of the NZ 03 test & PAK 05 test) tours have had a few tests @ Moahil. Except for ENGs 06 test for the 1st couple days, Mohali test in all the tests i've seen have been your typical flat sub-continent pitch - that turns later on.
Shewag averaged more than any batsman in the ind vs nz series in 2003 where pitches were greentops ,Shewag scored a run a ball century in his debut in sa on a seaming track ,his performances in australia are great,its just plain bull**** you are writting with out stating any facts.In same vein Ponting,Hayden peak in 2002-2005 was filled with runs against mediocore bowling attacks.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think you can play it worse than that. He basically just froze and let it hit him. Not the slightest idea what he was doing or thinking.

He's a little vulnerable to the surprise bouncer - has been out a few times top edging the pull and gets hit on the helmet more than usual IIRC - but I don't think he's quite as bad at the short stuff as he suggested there. Given that he had also chipped his first ball straight to midwicket (again (sigh)) I would suggest that a big part of that was his mindset having the consistency of the regular scrambled egg, which exacerbated any issues in an area where he is not technically strong (has the Pontingesque singular urge to get onto the front foot whenever possible without the Pontingesque pull shot, although when he is in form he does have a very very good pull shot). I remember recently in England Broad got him out playing a slightly more clued-up (but still pretty rank) shot to a short-pitched ball and everyone was raving about "oh we've discovered Clarke's weakness, just bounce him out!" - didn't work, at all.

Last edited:

Burgey

Don't think you can play it worse than that. He basically just froze and let it hit him. Not the slightest idea what he was doing or thinking.

He's a little vulnerable to the surprise bouncer - has been out a few times top edging the pull and gets hit on the helmet more than usual IIRC - but I don't think he's quite as bad at the short stuff as he suggested there. Given that he had also chipped his first ball straight to midwicket (again (sigh)) I would suggest that a big part of that was his mindset having the consistency of the regular scrambled egg, which exacerbated any issues in an area where he is not technically strong (has the Pontingesque singular urge to get onto the front foot whenever possible). I remember recently in England Broad got him out playing a slightly more clued-up (but still pretty rank) shot to a short-pitched ball and everyone was raving about "oh we've discovered Clarke's weakness, just bounce him out!" - didn't work, at all.
I still can't believe he walked.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah you have to walk when you play a ball as pathetically like that. More embarrassing to stand there and see the finger.

Best to just get out of there and hide.