• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks Top 25 Bowlers of All Time (Version 2010)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It has been a long time since Adharcric conducted this fantastic exercise. Now with the changed demographics of CW, I guess it will be a good idea to re-do it. My suggestion will be not to have a look at the earlier one, since that might cloud our judgment in some cases.

This time there'll be a very small change in the procedure. As always, we'll be going from selecting rank 1 to all the way selecting rank 25. All the members will select their top 3 picks for each position. Pick 1 gets 3 points, pick 2 gets 2 points and pick 3 gets 1 point. Each position will get approximately 2 days of voting time (some slightly more and some slightly less, depending on when I get time for counting votes). After 2 days of voting, rank 1 will be selected. Then we'll move to rank 2, and so on. Any bowler who has played a First-Class match is eligible, like last time (and for the same reason).

As an example, I shall start by casting my 3 votes for rank 1.

1. Richard Hadlee (3 points)
2. Malcolm Marshall (2 points)
3. Sydney Barnes (1 point)

Looking forward to some meaningful cricket discussions in this thread, too - the CW way.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Malcolm Marshall (3)
Glenn Mcgrath (2)
Muttiah Muralitharan (1)

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Malcolm Marshall (3)
Glenn Mcgrath (2)
Dennis Lillee (1)
I think I've read quite a few nice points from you about fast bowling techniques in the past.

I'm interested to know your view on the McGrath vs Hadlee debate (bowling technique wise, not stats-wise). I've seen both of them bowl. And the choice is very clear-cut for me, at least technique wise.

I always thought,

McGrath's line and length + McGrath's hitting the deck + McGrath's mind-games with the batsmen + a slightly better outswinger + a much better inswinger + better pace = Hadlee's bowling

Will be keen to know your views on the same.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I've read quite a few nice points from you about fast bowling techniques in the past.

I'm interested to know your view on the McGrath vs Hadlee debate (bowling technique wise, not stats-wise). I've seen both of them bowl. And the choice is very clear-cut for me, at least technique wise.

I always thought,

McGrath's line and length + McGrath's hitting the deck + McGrath's mind-games with the batsmen + a slightly better outswinger + a much better inswinger + better pace = Hadlee's bowling

Will be keen to know your views on the same.
I've put in Murali for Lillee in my list, ftr. Regarding Mcgrath Vs Hadlee, I always think that Mcgrath is the better bowler. From what I have seen, a peaked Mcgrath had more pace than a peaked Hadee. Hadlee always looked pretty medium paced to me, but I recall Benaud, who saw both to a greater extent than me, noting the opposite, that Hadlee had more pace to Mcgrath. Hadlee seemed to swing the ball better than Mcgrath, but such is the nature of the taller, hit the deck Mcgrath and Hadlee's swing style, merely different styles, imo. I never got to watch Hadlee bowl at length, as he predates me; however, I find it difficult to believe that anyone, ever, has replicated the sort of accuracy that a fully fit Mcgrath possessed.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Glenn McGrath (3 bananas)
Malcolm Marshall (2 bananas)
Muttiah Muralithrarn (1 banana)