• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPNcricinfo World XI

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He is arguably the greatest left arm pacer the world has ever seen. He could do anything with the ball.. When I say anything literally anything.. He had supreme control and with his short run up was devastating..

His record in Tests is he averages 23.62 and has taken 414 wickets.. Not sure what you mean by his record is not good...
AWTA. It's not just that he was a left armer, and so brings variety to the attack (which tbh helps in itself); but also that he was so different a bowler to the other candidates in what he could make the ball do to eke out a wicket when just just banging it in or bowling in the corridor might not have proven effective enough. In a way he was a Murali or Warne in a fast bowlers body, much like Kumble was a fast bowler in a spinners body.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
As good as Sanga is, I think Gilchrist has to be an automatic pick at this point. Sanga just doesn't have enough centuries away from the subcontinent, yet, whereas Gilchrist has played big match-turning or match-winning knocks virtually everywhere.
I dont see why he should TBH. In an all-time XI where you would have the greatest top 6 ever assembled. Gilly extra batting @ 7 isn't needed. You can try to pick the best pure glovesman of all-time.

weldone said:
Not to mention that Sangakkara was not a great batsman when he kept.
Following Sanga's career, i dont think thats fair way to judge it. AFAIS the only reasons Sangaka doesn't keep in tests is because its a great strain to do that along with being captain & # 3. He does all 3 in ODIs & T20 very well. If SRI had a WC all-rounder batting @ 6 or 7in tests for example, i think it would have been very possible for him to stay keeping & his rate of runscoring wouldn't decline at all IMHO.

smash84

The Tiger King
He is arguably the greatest left arm pacer the world has ever seen. He could do anything with the ball.. When I say anything literally anything.. He had supreme control and with his short run up was devastating..

His record in Tests is he averages 23.62 and has taken 414 wickets.. Not sure what you mean by his record is not good...
Other than reverse swing Malcolm Marshall had just about everything in his armoury. Also what I mean to say is that his record is good but not great when you compare with Lillee, Marshall, Imran, Hadlee, Ambrose, and McGrath. We are talking of test matches here. I believe all of them were better bowlers than Wasim in test matches. All of them had lower averages definitely and most had better SRs than him too.

If we talk about ODIs then nobody beats Wasim. Test matches is a different ball game altogether.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I don't quite understand why so many people have put in Wasim Akram in their all time XI? Wasim was a good test match bowler and arguably the greatest ODI bowler. In test matches he was good but not great and this is an all time test match XI. Wasim's record in test matches is not that good to warrant him a place in the all time XI.
His record might not look as glorious as other ATG pacers simply because he debuted too early, was a fairly average bowler for his first five years or so, and his career dragged on for 17 years despite him losing his touch unlike a typical fast bowler's career.

If only the period where he is the bowler we all know him as is taken, which is the decade of the 90s. His record is 289 wickets in 62 games @ an average of 21.4

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He was also diabetic. It's a challenge living a sedentary lifestyle with the disease, let alone a fast bowlers'.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont see why he should TBH. In an all-time XI where you would have the greatest top 6 ever assembled. Gilly extra batting @ 7 isn't needed. You can try to pick the best pure glovesman of all-time.

Following Sanga's career, i dont think thats fair way to judge it. AFAIS the only reasons Sangaka doesn't keep in tests is because its a great strain to do that along with being captain & # 3. He does all 3 in ODIs & T20 very well. If SRI had a WC all-rounder batting @ 6 or 7in tests for example, i think it would have been very possible for him to stay keeping & his rate of runscoring wouldn't decline at all IMHO.
Fair points.

In a straight choice between Gilly vs. Sanga in Test matches, I think most people would pick Gilly, right now despite the difference in averages. Sangakkara might change that by the time his career ends though.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Im choked up by all the MM love, gone but not forgotten thanks all!!!
imran occasionally used bottle tops. botham's career slump started years before he retired. lillee never played in india, and he was bad in pakistan. mcgrath didn't have scorching pace. trueman was not so hot outside england. holding never played pakistan. garner failed against india. so did ambrose. waqar's record against the major nations was very good, but not great. akram's career is a mixed bag; of great and not so good moments. but malcolm marshall was good against everyone, everywhere. didnt tamper with the ball. never dealt with bookies. never did anything objectionable on the cricket field. was consistent for a long time. had great style. even better than the great richard hadlee. hunted with the greatest pack of pacers ever assembled in cricket history. but he clearly was the brightest shining star in the constellation. and he had a winning smile. any true cricket lover should love macko.

Last edited:

AaronK

State Regular
Mine is

1 Greenidge
2 Sehwag
3 Sangakara +
4 Brian Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Inzamum Ul Haq
7 Sir Sobers
8 Imran khan
9 W. Akram
10 Ambrose
11 Muralithran

12 Kallis
13 Shane Warne
14 Glen Mcgrath

many of you may wonder why Inzamam over the likes of Dravid, Ponting and even Bradman.. simply because Inzi played so many great innings under pressure.. while dravid had guys like Sehwag, Sachin, Laxman and even Ganguly..and guys like Ponting had the likes of Mathew hayden, M. Hussey, Langer and even Gily.. Inzy batted mostly with craps like Imran Farhat, Salman Butt, and 40 other openners that pakistan tried after Aamir sohail was kicked out of the team.

later after Saeed Anwar retired.. the odds got worst for Pakistan.. it was like going out there in the middle with 3 down on 0.. before Younis join Yousuf and Inzi.. it was Inzi who kept the whole batting together..

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Mine is

1 Greenidge
2 Sehwag
3 Sangakara +
4 Brian Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Inzamum Ul Haq
7 Sir Sobers
8 Imran khan
9 W. Akram
10 Ambrose
11 Muralithran

12 Kallis
13 Shane Warne
14 Glen Mcgrath

many of you may wonder why Inzamam over the likes of Dravid, Ponting and even Bradman.. simply because Inzi played so many great innings under pressure.. while dravid had guys like Sehwag, Sachin, Laxman and even Ganguly..and guys like Ponting had the likes of Mathew hayden, M. Hussey, Langer and even Gily.. Inzy batted mostly with craps like Imran Farhat, Salman Butt, and 40 other openners that pakistan tried after Aamir sohail was kicked out of the team.

later after Saeed Anwar retired.. the odds got worst for Pakistan.. it was like going out there in the middle with 3 down on 0.. before Younis join Yousuf and Inzi.. it was Inzi who kept the whole batting together..
No offence but this has to be one of the worst XIs I've seen

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mine is

1 Greenidge
2 Sehwag
3 Sangakara +
4 Brian Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Inzamum Ul Haq
7 Sir Sobers
8 Imran khan
9 W. Akram
10 Ambrose
11 Muralithran

12 Kallis
13 Shane Warne
14 Glen Mcgrath

on that front get Kapil in your team because for most of his career he had some trundler bowling at the speed of sub continental rickshaw from the other end.

Debris

International 12th Man
Mine is

1 Greenidge
2 Sehwag
3 Sangakara +
4 Brian Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Inzamum Ul Haq
7 Sir Sobers
8 Imran khan
9 W. Akram
10 Ambrose
11 Muralithran

12 Kallis
13 Shane Warne
14 Glen Mcgrath

Hmm, no players from England, SA or Australia who would traditionally be thought of as the strongest sides. Did you realise that you had done this?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Which still wouldn't explain picking Sanga over Gilly. Gilly was the better glovesman.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Jack Hobbs
2 Sunil Gavaskar
3 Don Bradman
4 Sachin Tendulkar
5 Garry Sobers
6 Adam Gilchrist
7 Imran Khan
8 Shane Warne
9 Malcolm Marshall
10 Curtly Ambrose
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

vs

1 Len Hutton
2 Virender Sehwag
3 Brian Lara
4 Graeme Pollock
5 Viv Richards
6 Jacques Kallis
7 Alan Knott
8 Richard Hadlee
9 Bill O'Reilly
10 Fred Trueman
11 Glenn McGrath

This would change all the time. I feel bad not including Wasim.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, no players from England, SA or Australia who would traditionally be thought of as the strongest sides. Did you realise that you had done this?
WI would be stronger than either England or SA historically I would think.

Himannv

International Coach
1 Jack Hobbs
2 Sunil Gavaskar
3 Don Bradman
4 Sachin Tendulkar
5 Garry Sobers
6 Adam Gilchrist
7 Imran Khan
8 Shane Warne
9 Malcolm Marshall
10 Curtly Ambrose
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

vs

1 Len Hutton
2 Virender Sehwag
3 Brian Lara
4 Graeme Pollock
5 Viv Richards
6 Jacques Kallis

7 Alan Knott
8 Richard Hadlee
9 Bill O'Reilly
10 Fred Trueman
11 Glenn McGrath

This would change all the time. I feel bad not including Wasim.
2nd team looks better than the first in some ways. Thats a fantastic middle order they have and its a pretty good combination of bowlers. Barry Richards > Sehwag for me, but thats the only change I would make to improve that team. Good side imo.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Fair points.

In a straight choice between Gilly vs. Sanga in Test matches, I think most people would pick Gilly, right now despite the difference in averages. Sangakkara might change that by the time his career ends though.
I'd already take Sanga if i wanted a batting keeper, since Sanga feared better againts quality pace bowling. A prerequiste a player needs in hyptetical All-time matches, when they would be facing some of greatest pace attacks ever put together.

But as i said, the extra batting they possess isn't needed, given the strenght of the top 6, thus the best glovesman of all-time was chosen.

Ikki said:
Which still wouldn't explain picking Sanga over Gilly. Gilly was the better glovesman.
No he wasn't. Sanga was certainly on par with Gilly in every facet as glovesman AFAIS. This coming from a man that saw all of Gilchrist's test live on TV (except for 3 in NZ 99/00)

smash84

The Tiger King
2nd team looks better than the first in some ways. Thats a fantastic middle order they have and its a pretty good combination of bowlers. Barry Richards > Sehwag for me, but thats the only change I would make to improve that team. Good side imo.
I think the first team looks much stronger because of their bowling attack. Especially if the pitch has some assistance for the spinners the first team will decimate the opposition. The pace attacks are comparable. The second team might have a marginal edge in pace bowling. But a very marginal one IMO.