• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Milne

Howsie

International Captain
What is it that Southee has got that you hold in such high regard? You're confident that he will fulfill this promise?
Everything - Bar pace of course. Late swing, bounce, the ability to think on his feet. What he has not many bowlers (especially in New Zealand) have at his age. What he was also able to do when first breaking into domestic cricket where within 18 months he was arguably one of the best bowlers going around obviously shows he has something going for him because when was the last time a 18/19 year old was able to claim something like that? In any country tbh.

I think that as long as he stays injury free, is able to settle down in the test team, and improves his consistency when bowling for long spells he'll go far. I really do think that some people forget he's still only 21 years old.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everything - Bar pace of course. Late swing, bounce, the ability to think on his feet. What he has not many bowlers (especially in New Zealand) have at his age. What he was also able to do when first breaking into domestic cricket where within 18 months he was arguably one of the best bowlers going around obviously shows he has something going for him because when was the last time a 18/19 year old was able to claim something like that? In any country tbh.

I think that as long as he stays injury free, is able to settle down in the test team, and improves his consistency when bowling for long spells he'll go far. I really do think that some people forget he's still only 21 years old.
That all tells you more about New Zealand than anything else though. He's exceptional by NZ standards, but there'd be players like him coming through almost every year in other countries.

England have guys like Broad and Finn. Finn is younger than Southee. Broad's older but debuted for England at a similar age.

Pakistan used to have a guy called Aamer. Dunno what happened to him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
That all tells you more about New Zealand than anything else though. He's exceptional by NZ standards, but there'd be players like him coming through almost every year in other countries.

England have guys like Broad and Finn. Finn is younger than Southee. Broad's older but debuted for England at a similar age.

Disappointing in a game of scrabble

Howsie

International Captain

:sleep: As can be seen by the amount of teenage pace bowlers pushing for international spots right? Bowlers like Wayne Parnell, Ishant Sharma, Mohammad Aamer, Josh Hazlewood and Tim Southee were all a cut above the rest of the pack whilst coming up through the grades and obviously performed well enough at the domestic level to get a call up to there respective national teams. I'm not exactly sure on the numbers but I can't imagine there have been many fast bowlers who have made there international debuts as a teenager over the past 10 years. In order to do so your've got to have something special going for you.

tooextracool

International Coach
Im not exactly a raving fan of Southee but Broad wasnt half the bowler as Southee at the same age. And Finn is nothing special for any age group, in fact I would venture to suggest that he was more threatening with his old action than his re-modified one.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I still think Southee has something a bit special about him. Think he can be a guy average 27-29 over the long term, which is pretty decent in this day and age. The way that he's adapted to ODIs and T20s in recent times (or at least his death bowling against Australia) shows that he's got potential for further development, and that he's not one of those guys who springs up young but is a finished product.

Xuhaib

International Coach
eventhough I will not go as far and say Southee is once in a generation talent but he does have a lot of tools to end up as 2nd best NZ; fastbowler of all time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
eventhough I will not go as far and say Southee is once in a generation talent but he does have a lot of tools to end up as 2nd best NZ; fastbowler of all time.
I dont see such potential in him at all TBH. The most i would expect from Southee is him to be a consistently good bowler in greentops at best i.e Anderson & Hoggard.

Flem274*

123/5
Randomly dropped for the last game and replaced by Mitchell McClenaghan. My self centred conspiracy is these ****s read CW and wanted to see if I blew up.:ph34r:

Anyway, looking forward to seeing him again in the domestic season, and he bowled out of the tournament on a good note with that over.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I presume its because CD are already gone from the tournament, and the coach wants all the bowlers to get at least a couple of games as a development opportunity. Still a bit of a shame, though I'll be interested to see if McClenaghan is any quicker in his second match. Milne was only bowling around 130-135 in the first game.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McClenaghan has hit 140 already in his first over. Struggling a bit with direction, though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Im not exactly a raving fan of Southee but Broad wasnt half the bowler as Southee at the same age. And Finn is nothing special for any age group, in fact I would venture to suggest that he was more threatening with his old action than his re-modified one.
Err you have seen Southee's stats right?

Tests. Very ****.
ODIs. ****.
T20. Very ****.

Broad wasn't much of a bowler 2-3 years ago but then neither is Southee at present. You don't expect them to be averaging 30 or less in Test cricket, below 5 an over in ODIs. I know you're a Finn-hater so don't expect any rationality there.

These guys aren't that exceptional yet but someone like Aamer was.