• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
This is obviously a conspiracy against the subcontinental man. Can't believe you're all buying in this

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, everyone needs to remain willing to objectively review the evidence, but clutching at straws here Migara IMO, to claim the whole thing is a fabrication.
Disputes between sports agents and former clients are as acrimonious as the bitterest divorce

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might be time to let this thread die tbh ... can't see why we need two (or three) basically discussing the same thing.
True, although I can understand people's wish to discuss separately the involvement in this of a guy who looked to be a possible all-time great in the making. It's almost certainly wrecked what could have been a wonderful career.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, everyone needs to remain willing to objectively review the evidence, but clutching at straws here Migara IMO, to claim the whole thing is a fabrication.
Now where did I claim that every thing was fabricated? I have given another side of the story, and reasons why it should be believed. And keep in mind that I am not even a Pakistani supporter. Just the way people jump on the story and vilifying people as the case has been crystal clear really irritates.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is that player Amir?
It was Wahab Riaz was it not?

Cards on the table: my viewpoint on this is biased because up until last night Amir was one of my favourite cricketers, I think a life ban would be harsh. There's no doubt that some sort of punishment needs to be meted out, but a life ban for an 18 year old kid for deliberately bowling a couple of no-balls seems harsh. But then again, it's a biasd viewpoint, if it was Kamran Akmal or Mohammad Yousuf who was involved, I'd have no hesitation in calling for a life ban.

Spark

Global Moderator
It was Wahab Riaz was it not?

Cards on the table: my viewpoint on this is biased because up until last night Amir was one of my favourite cricketers, I think a life ban would be harsh. There's no doubt that some sort of punishment needs to be meted out, but a life ban for an 18 year old kid for deliberately bowling a couple of no-balls seems harsh. But then again, it's a biasd viewpoint, if it was Kamran Akmal or Mohammad Yousuf who was involved, I'd have no hesitation in calling for a life ban.
Riaz and Amin.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Now where did I claim that every thing was fabricated? I have given another side of the story, and reasons why it should be believed. And keep in mind that I am not even a Pakistani supporter. Just the way people jump on the story and vilifying people as the case has been crystal clear really irritates.
Thing is mate, the case really does seem pretty much crystal clear in relation to those no-balls. No-one's yet come up with any coherent explanation as to how that video could have been made, with those particular predictions being made, and then the (blatant) no-balls occurring precisely when predicted, other than that the video is a fabrication. The case looks even stronger when you take into account the fact that the "fixer" is their agent, or at least a person who the Pakistan team admit has connections to them.

Of course everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and we aren't privy to all the relevant information. Perhaps they did it under duress, for instance; we just don't know if they'll say that they did. But at the moment it looks very grim indeed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whilst I understand why this thread was created, but still reckon having this PLUS match fixing thread is a bit confusing.

Floating from thread to thread talking about the same thing right now.

Jacknife

International Captain
Honestly, who cares if he is ridiculously talented, if Aamer is proven to be explicitly involved he needs to be life banned. Anything less is a joke.
I don't understand this jumping to the defense of Amir because he's young or he's got a good future in front of him it shouldn't matter.The fact is, he is 18 and a full grown man and can make and stand by his own actions.It shouldn't matter who it is, they all should be treated the same.Once we get to hear the full scale of the allegations we can judge which players are involved (because they mention he has 7 players tapped up) and for how long the bans should be for.

flibbertyjibber

I don't understand this jumping to the defense of Amir because he's young or he's got a good future in front of him it shouldn't matter.The fact is, he is 18 and a full grown man and can make and stand by his own actions.It shouldn't matter who it is, they all should be treated the same.Once we get to hear the full scale of the allegations we can judge which players are involved (because they mention he has 7 players tapped up) and for how long the bans should be for.
Exactly,if an 18 year old gets in a fight and hurts/kills somebody they are responsible for their actions.At 18 you know right from wrong and he should have just said NO.

fredfertang

Youth and inexperience are, as they should be, powerful mitigating factors

.... or if it makes you feel better recidivism is a powerful aggravating factor

whichever way you look at it Asif and Amir, if proved to have done wrong, should not receive the same punishment

Jacknife

International Captain

whichever way you look at it Asif and Amir, if proved to have done wrong, should not receive the same punishment
If it can be discovered when it started for each of them,how much money they've had ,things such as that,this should be the deciding factor not age.

flibbertyjibber

Maybe so going on Asif with his past record but today i wouldn't care if both were thrown out of all cricket for good along with any other guilty parties.

fredfertang

Tssk - a more enlightened approach is needed - you guys will be advocating going back to transportation to the colonies next - as experience has shown and continues to show that was a flawed punitive concept if ever there was one

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah in Amir's case, I've a bit of sympathy for him. A bit. Considering how easily the chief conspirator (assumedly Butt in this case) would've coaxed him by saying "Hey mate, we are not asking you to underperfrom and throw away a match, and also endanger your career, it's just bowling a couple of no balls, nothing that are going to affect our chances in this test, and yet we get to pocket some good cash..We aren't betraying anyone.. we are going to fight hard.. but just bowl one or 2 no balls..it's a matter of just 2 runs given away.. etcetc "

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

Exactly. In fact imposing a life ban for the 2 of them wouldn't even be the same punishment. To quote myself from the "Fresh Match Fixing Allegations" thread, a life ban might affect Amir for 15 years, but for 27-year-old Asif it might only be half that.

JBH001

International Regular
I haven't read the whole thread, nor the other threads, neither have I read all about this issue as I have been busy with life and work stuff, and not been all that much in touch with the cricket (apart from following the scores and watching h/l of Trott's and Broad's hundreds). But, on a quick skim all the posts recommending life ban etc seem way too harsh. I frankly don't understand where these comments are coming from. As far as altering the outcome of a match goes, bowling a no-ball is pretty inconsequential (especially in this instance where nothing untoward seems to have hinged on those deliveries) and for another, Aamer is a young man with a lot left to learn. I'd advocate a minimal-moderate punishment with fines and a short term ban from test cricket.