• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would it take to bring cricket back to Pakistan

pskov

International 12th Man
England's last tour of Pakistan actually produced some exciting test matches. The huge problem I have with cricket being played there is that the hours of daylight always seem so short that it is rare to get in more than 75 overs in a days cricket, which is pretty ridiculous.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It needs to pull back from being the closest to thing to a failed state currently playing Test cricket, now that Zimbabwe isn't.

I know that sounds harsh, but that's how I see it.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
It needs to pull back from being the closest to thing to a failed state currently playing Test cricket, now that Zimbabwe isn't.

I know that sounds harsh, but that's how I see it.
No where close to being a failed state bud....trust me...just a very very bad patch going on right now thanks to a clueless American war.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I kinda agree with Burgey. It's a tragedy for the people of Pakistan, but the country's governance has become essentially ineffective, and while that's the case, there simply isn't any international goodwill to help them. Witness the rather muted response to the flood crisis as compared to the Haiti earthquake or Boxing Day tsunami.

Burgey

No where close to being a failed state bud....trust me...just a very very bad patch going on right now thanks to a clueless American war.
And the fact that visiting cricket teams get shot at..

Not that that would be a factor at all....

I tell you how unappealing to me going to Pakistan is, even before the terrible flood.

I wouldn't even send Tony Abbott there. Now you can say that's callous or what not, but it's so. I'm sorry, but I could not think of a single realistic endeavour on earth that would make me want to go there with things the way they are.

I may well be completely wrong, you can call me ignorant or whatever. But I sat here for the better part of two years while people laughed at how "gutless" Australia was for not going there, how they were "unmanly" and such.

Then the Sri lankans got shot at, and everything went quiet.

Until there's a lengthy (say at least 4-5 years) period of stability, I wouldn't go near the joint.

And I'm sorry if that offends Pakistani posters on here, because it is not meant to. It's incredibly sad what has happened to the place. But I wouldn't touch the joint with a barge pole.

Jezroy

State Captain
Only one thing would get cricket back in Pakistan.

Sting singing an anthem like "Sending Our Love Down The Well".

Sir Alex

Banned
I may be wrong. But central agenda of Pak rulers (not people) is to camouflage their shortcomings with the veil of India hate, play victim, and other lies. If Pakistani administrators can stop crying conspiracy in every incident and focus on mending the institutional malaise that is wrong with their country, Pakistan will improve quickly. They've a hardworking, resilient and loyal population, it just lacks sensible leadership, not just political, but economic, social and business.

Burgey

I may be wrong. But central agenda of Pak rulers (not people) is to camouflage their shortcomings with the veil of India hate, play victim, and other lies. If Pakistani administrators can stop crying conspiracy in every incident and focus on mending the institutional malaise that is wrong with their country, Pakistan will improve quickly. They've a hardworking, resilient and loyal population, it just lacks sensible leadership, not just political, but economic, social and business.
Hahah, that's kinda funn.....

No, I won't.

Uppercut

I kinda agree with Burgey. It's a tragedy for the people of Pakistan, but the country's governance has become essentially ineffective, and while that's the case, there simply isn't any international goodwill to help them. Witness the rather muted response to the flood crisis as compared to the Haiti earthquake or Boxing Day tsunami.
The response in the UK has been anything but muted, ftr.

Burgey

There's a large ex-pat Pakistani population in the UK thought, isn't there?

I thought I heard the UN saying the other day that the world wide response has been comparatively poor.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not really expat, there's plenty of people in Britain who are 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th generation Brits of Pakistani descent, I doubt that any more than a small percentage hold Pakistani citizenship.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pakistan: ICC World XI to tour Pakistan in "due course" - Clarke | Pakistan Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

I wonder if there would be any int'l players who on a personal level say that ok will go to play in Pakistan if they are given fool proof security. I know Watto was one of the people who said he would not mind going to Pak.
If that goes ahead, then the ICC are worse than I thought. Every player selected for such a farcical exercise should pull out.

Giles Clarke's comments in that article are a disgrace as well.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
If that goes ahead, then the ICC are worse than I thought. Every player selected for such a farcical exercise should pull out.

Giles Clarke's comments in that article are a disgrace as well.
Absolutely. He's just skated over the security concerns and justified it with 'Well Pakistan has really good fans and nice cities'. Erm yeah, but what about the reason why teams didn't tour Pakistan in the first place, maybe getting shot or blow up or something like that.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
He said Pakistani government's financial plight, not the plight of the Pakistani people.
Haha, you think I didn't see that? Notice I asked how the Pakistani government was relevant? The article made no mention of the Pakistani government. It seems like a bizarre thing to mention in this thread.

Last edited: