• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where Next For Kevin Pietersen?

Sir Alex

Banned
RR perhaps? A lineup containing smith, watson, warne and kp is truly lipsmacking stuff.

Just kidding. He'll be back. He's never the 55 plus averaging guy but will end his career with some really memorable innings and a 50 plus average.

King Pietersen

International Captain
RR perhaps? A lineup containing smith, watson, warne and kp is truly lipsmacking stuff.

Just kidding. He'll be back. He's never the 55 plus averaging guy but will end his career with some really memorable innings and a 50 plus average.
He should be. I'm really hoping KP kicks on, avoids injuries and starts scoring some serious runs again. He could very easily get his average up to 55 if he starts scoring as many runs as he's got the potential score. An average of 49.26 is a good effort, but if he ends his career averaging between 48 and 52 it'll have been a slight waste of immense talent AFAIC. I want him to go down as one of the greats of the era, which atm is looking unlikely.

Enjoyed the article as well btw. Was a good read.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
He should be. I'm really hoping KP kicks on, avoids injuries and starts scoring some serious runs again. He could very easily get his average up to 55 if he starts scoring as many runs as he's got the potential score. An average of 49.26 is a good effort, but if he ends his career averaging between 48 and 52 it'll have been a slight waste of immense talent AFAIC. I want him to go down as one of the greats of the era, which atm is looking unlikely.
I think he should've a very very good head like Sachin or ponting to do that. So far he's not looked exactly their class, but who knows, he might just completely reinvent himself like ponting did in his mid twenties.

He's around 30 also right? Hmmm.... Looks like he need to push the pedal now or it could be too late.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Hmm, not sure. He's always hovered around 50 despite not achieving anywhere near his best in the eyes of most. So if he kicks on, then yeah, 55 is a reasonable estimate, IMO.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see him ending up at 55 personally. Would say he'd be 50-52, absolute tops.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, not sure. He's always hovered around 50 despite not achieving anywhere near his best in the eyes of most. So if he kicks on, then yeah, 55 is a reasonable estimate, IMO.
Or is he reverting to the mean? I think that parallels can be drawn with Hussey. People do know better lines to bowl to him now than previously, and while he is good enough to combat it and still score well, I think that teams now have more than one plan for him, where they certainly didn't seem to when he first came onto the scene, and was moosing balls in different areas to anyone else in international cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh, it's a possibility, but Pietersen has never had a 'purple patch' really. I've never dissected the stats in detail, but his average always seemed to stay around the 50 mark regardless. I guess it could always be that that's his capabaility - certainly not to be sniffed at but given the amount of times where he's completely got himself out you can't help but think he could average a bit more. I personally don't think he really compares to Hussey in that way.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
He doesn't play on enough flat tracks or in a good enough batting lineup to average 55 like some other batsman do.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To average 55 he'll bascically need to average 60+ for the rest of his career as he's already made 5000 runs @ a tick over 49. To get it back over 50 & keep it there will be an achievement IMHO.

Be interesting to see which way his career goes from here. Theoretically coming into his peak as a batsman.

Jarquis

Well he's got a real chance to get it above 50 this sumemr with home Tests against Bangladesh and Pakistan. This winter will be massive though, obviously the current Aussie bowling attack is not a patch on the one we faced last time we were down there but the Ashes in Australia is still the toughest series. Going to need KP to stand up again if we're to have a chance.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
All of the very best modern era batsman have gotten their overall average over 58 after atleast 30 Tests played at sometime or another. Those being Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis and Hayden who are all a class above others averaging 50+ in the modern era. Pietersen is the next potential name that can join this list. It's a joke that that article is basically saying that Clarke is better then Pietersen. I'm Australian and I wouldn't rank Clarke close to Pietersen.

Jarquis

Don't think it does actually. I think it says that Pietersen's record is more comparable to Taylor's than Clarke's in recent years. Just saying.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
FTR, I'd only rank Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Hayden, S Waugh, Dravid and Kallis ahead of Pietersen out of all the batsman that have played post 2000.

Sir Alex

Banned
All of the very best modern era batsman have gotten their overall average over 58 after atleast 30 Tests played at sometime or another. Those being Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis and Hayden who are all a class above others averaging 50+ in the modern era. Pietersen is the next potential name that can join this list. It's a joke that that article is basically saying that Clarke is better then Pietersen. I'm Australian and I wouldn't rank Clarke close to Pietersen.
I would have Clarke over kp easily given their present form. In tests of course. In limited overs cricket clarke doesn't stand a chance.