• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
John Wright in Pakistan barged into Ranjan Madugalle's room as match referee,and complained to him about Bucknor's umpiring and claimed he was one-sided and his behaviour was not apt ,specially with patel.
So what has that got to do with whether I think Ganguly is a ****?

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Yes i know it. Saying India plays victim card against Bucknor is similar to saying jews play victim card against Nazi. The fact that his decision ensured Your team's win does not hide the fact.
And Godwin's Law rears its ugly head. This thread now officially has everything.

But hey- that discussion about visible post counts worked wonders, eh?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes i know it. Saying India plays victim card against Bucknor is similar to saying jews play victim card against Nazi. The fact that his decision ensured Your team's win does not hide the fact.
And a good morning to you too.

Seeing as you clearly didn't manage to stumble across the forum rules on your way in, here's a few tidbits as reminders.

No insults - Don't insult people. Pretty straight-forward, that one. This includes insults directed towards both individuals and groups of people.

No flame wars - This is basically when two people are in an argument on the forums and resort to personal attacks on each other. No tolerance will be given for this sort of thing. Just keep in mind that you are arguing via text on a public message board... Is there really a clean cut winner? I suggest you keep that sort of thing on someone else's board or some instant messaging service.

No trolling/baiting - This is where you constantly make digs at a member who doesn't appreciate it with the hope of annoying them and/or getting a negative reaction out of them. Don't do it.

No profanity - Please don't go around swearing your head off or using inappropriate language in the forums. Show maturity at all times, and make it decent for everyone else. Remember, just because a word isn't filtered doesn't mean it's okay to say. Even using filtered words too often can get you warned.

If you want to spout histrionics, play the race card, and turn everything into nationalistic flame wars, YouTube has some very good comments pages that you will find right up your street. If you think you can stretch yourself to polysyllabic words, sourced claims and posts which actually address the point at hand and not the Holocaust, then clean up your act. Immediately.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
So what has that got to do with whether I think Ganguly is a ****?
You and Gotspin said that Ganguly complained about everyone and was a sore loser ***** .Therefore his opinion did not count to you.

I was referring to the fact that during a series India won ,John Wright also did the same thing going up to ranjan madugalle's office and complaining about Bucknor.
Do you think he is ***** too now?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You and Gotspin said that Ganguly complained about everyone and was a sore loser ***** .Therefore his opinion did not count to you.

I was referring to the fact that during a series India won ,John Wright also did the same thing going up to ranjan madugalle's office and complaining about Bucknor.
Probably to do with the old Indian victim complex.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Opposition fans always hating Ganguly is pretty similar to opposition fans hating steve waugh and other arrogant captains.

Yes he was a bit of a difficult personality to like,but for us Indians he was a pleasant change from the yes man of the board who had the captaincy till then ,and mr nice guys like Sachin Tendulkar who did not take a stand on everything.
Ganguly took over the Indian team after a period of turmoil,and though Tendulkar had got the team out of it ,he cracked as a batsmen. This was the time when Ganguly took over,and did what he wanted.He never cracked under the pressure of the politics of the board,stood up to the likes Of Dalmiya when required ,he also never bothered about the negative image he had among some supporters,neither much of their opinion.He was single minded and athough a bit arrogant ,he always stood up for his team when required.
He was exactly the captain India required and the reason the likes of Dhoni and Yuvraj came to the fore.He was the reason as captain Indians learned that they could take on the best anywhere and beat them. For me exactly the captain India needed at the time.

Yes he was not greatest of players ,but he certainly was a leader who suited the Indian team at the time.

As for being arrogant ,Punter and Slater were far more arrogant than them and Steve Waugh was more adept at using tactics to get under the skin of people.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Opposition fans always hating Ganguly is pretty similar to opposition fans hating steve waugh and other arrogant captains.

Yes he was a bit of a difficult personality to like,but for us Indians he was a pleasant change from the yes man of the board who had the captaincy till then ,and mr nice guys like Sachin Tendulkar who did not take a stand on everything.
Ganguly took over the Indian team after a period of turmoil,and though Tendulkar had got the team out of it ,he cracked as a batsmen. This was the time when Ganguly took over,and did what he wanted.He never cracked under the pressure of the politics of the board,stood up to the likes Of Dalmiya when required ,he also never bothered about the negative image he had among some supporters,neither much of their opinion.He was single minded and athough a bit arrogant ,he always stood up for his team when required.
He was exactly the captain India required and the reason the likes of Dhoni and Yuvraj came to the fore.He was the reason as captain Indians learned that they could take on the best anywhere and beat them. For me exactly the captain India needed at the time.

Yes he was not greatest of players ,but he certainly was a leader who suited the Indian team at the time.

As for being arrogant ,Punter and Slater were far more arrogant than them and Steve Waugh was more adept at using tactics to get under the skin of people.
The issue, as it I see it, is not solely of arrogance, but a history of temper issues and tantrum throwing throughout his career.

Whether, Ponting and Slater were more arrogant is highly debatable, and as far as Steve Waugh is concerned, he still remains highly respected by many for both his work on the field and off, something that cannot be said for Ganguly despite some of his efforts in bringing in talent and 'standing up' to others through tantrum throwing

Burgey

No no, you've got it wrong.

I said Ganguly was a ****, not because he complained - it's just that I think he's a ****.

Then there was all this **** posted, by you and others, about how bad Steve Bucknor was and some other **** about how he and the ICC took all the matches and series India should have won and hid them in a hangar at Area 51 with that flying saucer from Men In Black, thus depriving them of their rightful status of being the only undefeated side in Test history.

I then said no, I think there's a victim complex in Indian cricket (which no one btw has seemingly sought to dispute, other than that satyam muppet, but he seems a brain dead ****wit who doesn't know what a victim complex is).

Then you said, as most 8 year olds do when they don't like something, "well what about John Wright? You must hate him too?"

I still don't see what John Wright complaining about something has to do with my thinking Ganguly's a **** though.

Last edited:

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Punter was locked in an Indian police station in 1998 tour of Aus to India. He was drunk and misbehaved with a women.He was released due to Indian Govt's intervention. They wanted to avoid a diplomatic issue coming. Diplomatic my foot, if a guy behaves like a low lifer he should be treated as one - that's what comes when you get rednecks in as sportsmen. They are good performers alright but hardly the role models for youngsters.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Punter was locked in an Indian police station in 1998 tour of Aus to India. He was drunk and misbehaved with a women.He was released due to Indian Govt's intervention. They wanted to avoid a diplomatic issue coming. Diplomatic my foot, if a guy behaves like a low lifer he should be treated as one - that's what comes when you get rednecks in as sportsmen. They are good performers alright but hardly the role models for youngsters.
jesus christ. what the hell does that have do with anything. I feel like im discussing this with a brick wall right now. Pontings drinking past has been well documented, BUT even more important is the way he turned himself around from team hooligan to the perfect role model.

This is probably one of the more useless posts in CC

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
jesus christ. what the hell does that have do with anything. I feel like im discussing this with a brick wall right now. Pontings drinking past has been well documented, BUT even more important is the way he turned himself around from team hooligan to the perfect role model.

This is probably one of the more useless posts in CC
Similarly what has ganguly's behaviour to do with second best batsman in the world thread. I
also feel like im discussing this with a brick wall right now.
This is probably one of the best posts in CC showing the character of punter.

Burgey

I know. Terrible behaviour. Should have sent him to Dachau, don't you think?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Similarly what has ganguly's behaviour to do with second best batsman in the world thread. I
also feel like im discussing this with a brick wall right now.
This is probably one of the best posts in CC showing the character of punter.
I believe this thread was derailed a long time ago when the discussion of Bucknor and Gangul came up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cut out this line of discussion, and get back on topic please.

Jack Hobbs quite clearly the 2nd best batsman of all time.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Consider this a warning to everyone involved: cut it out, and get back on topic.

Jack Hobbs quite clearly the 2nd best batsman of all time.
WG Grace, and in fact I would have him No.1 cricketer, but in this poll I went with Sobers, but could live with Hobbs:)

Status
Not open for further replies.