• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical - Shane Bond

Which would you prefer Bond to do if the situation were to arise?

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Coming in from the NZ in Pak (in NZ) thread on Shane Bond.

Obviously Bond is extremely unlucky with injuries, and the hypothetical situation was suggested that he could give up ODIs and T20s to prolong his Test career.

So I pose the following question:

Say you were told here and now he could retire from limited overs stuff but play Tests for another 18 months tops or he could retire from Tests but play limited overs stuff for 3-4 years, which would you pick?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tests, even without him we have a decent ODI attack. Mills, Tuffey, Vettori. Completely different story in Test cricket, we need him as a strike bowler and the likes of Martin and O'Brien compliment that role.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Get 100 test wickets and then retire to concentrate on the limited overs formats.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Get 100 test wickets and then retire to concentrate on the limited overs formats.
Actually after the Australia series I'm not too fussed at all about his future in Test cricket. Get through a full series vs. Oz and its job well done Mr. Bond.

GGG

State Captain
Actually after the Australia series I'm not too fussed at all about his future in Test cricket. Get through a full series vs. Oz and its job well done Mr. Bond.
Yeah I sort of feel the same way, I just want to see him take on the Aussies in a test series, not to fussed about anything else.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah I sort of feel the same way, I just want to see him take on the Aussies in a test series, not to fussed about anything else.
The bowling attack just rises around him, I mean as great as Vettori has been in terms of leading from the front with the bat he doesn't really inspire with the ball, Bond does this. The others just look fantastic when Bond's leading the charge.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he'd be better off concentrating on limited overs cricket. It's a more sensible workload, and also New Zealand are much better at it, so he could potentially contribute to something important like a WC or T20WC victory.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Test series win against Australia would rank higher than the world cup for most NZ fans I'd say.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Always said he should've never gone back on his plans to retire from Tests but now he's done so and there's a series against Australia around the corner it'd be mad for him not to try to play it.

So in short I'd hope he'll retire from Tests (again?) after the Australia series, then play ODIs until the end of the 2010\11 World Cup. And hopefully remain in a fit state to do both, but we must all recognise the possibility that he may not do either.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't want to see him retire from either of the formats. He is an amazing player, even if he plays for half the season he is good for NZ team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's no good whenever he does not play, however good he generally is when he does. The question is whether it's worthwhile for him to give-up one form to give his chances of being present in another a boost. Given that Tests and ODIs are completely separate and no game is a combination of the two, if he's no longer available for Tests it won't damage NZ's ODI prospects and if he's present in ODIs rather than absent it'll considerably enhance them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think he'd be better off concentrating on limited overs cricket. It's a more sensible workload, and also New Zealand are much better at it, so he could potentially contribute to something important like a WC or T20WC victory.
More lucrative as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Retire from limited overs. We have a stack of top notch ODI bowlers.

The test bowling, whilst we have lots of options, is either experienced workhorses or very young strike bowlers.

Would love to see him open the bowling with Tuffey or Southee (or if I'm really optimistic Boult) in test matches as well.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voted the Test option because firstly as has already been mentioned, the ODI team could still compete without him & secondly because I doubt he'd get anywhere near another 4 years, 2-3 years absolute tops for mine.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Voted the Test option because firstly as has already been mentioned, the ODI team could still compete without him & secondly because I doubt he'd get anywhere near another 4 years, 2-3 years absolute tops for mine.
2-3 years and I'd count myself very very lucky. Would be extremely pleased if he managed to keep going that long.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2-3 years and I'd count myself very very lucky. Would be extremely pleased if he managed to keep going that long.
Lol, I did say absolute tops. Truth be told, would be wrapped with another 12 months

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I voted for him to play ODIs. I don't think he can make it through a single test series without getting injured.
I think he could play one or two tests and then break down again. Bowling 20 overs a day is too much strain on him.