• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical - Shane Bond

Which would you prefer Bond to do if the situation were to arise?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I voted for him to play ODIs. I don't think he can make it through a single test series without getting injured.
I think he could play one or two tests and then break down again. Bowling 20 overs a day is too much strain on him.
Fair enough, that's one POV, I come from the angle that I got more of a buzz from that last Test win than the last 5 ODI wins put together, so would be happy with anything that would help our Test game atm.

Days of Grace

International Captain
How many tests will NZ play in the next two years? And how many of those will be against top 4 sides? My pick is not that many.

He will have the Australian test series as his short-term goal, and the 2011 world cup as his long term goal.

NZ will want him for the 2011 world cup, there is no doubt.

I suggest if nothing is on the horizon in terms of Test matches, then retire after getting 100 wickets (could do this in the 3 upcoming tests against Bangladesh and Australia) then do ODIs.

If, however, there is a test series in 2010 against a top 4 nation, drop T20s except of course for IPL and drop unimportant test fixtures.

In conclusion, I don't see why we can't just limit his appearances to important fixtures in both forms for the next two years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
How many tests will NZ play in the next two years? And how many of those will be against top 4 sides? My pick is not that many.

He will have the Australian test series as his short-term goal, and the 2011 world cup as his long term goal.

NZ will want him for the 2011 world cup, there is no doubt.

I suggest if nothing is on the horizon in terms of Test matches, then retire after getting 100 wickets (could do this in the 3 upcoming tests against Bangladesh and Australia) then do ODIs.

If, however, there is a test series in 2010 against a top 4 nation, drop T20s except of course for IPL and drop unimportant test fixtures.

In conclusion, I don't see why we can't just limit his appearances to important fixtures in both forms for the next two years.
We probably have a Indian series and South African home series not that far away.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ test cricket for the next year and a bit:

Feb 2010 - 1 test v Bangladesh in NZ
Mar 2010 - 2 tests v Australia in NZ (was 3 tests)
Jun 2010 - 2 tests v Zimbabwe in Zim supposedly
Oct 2010 - 2 tests v Bangladesh in Ban (why are we touring there again?)
Nov 2010 - 3 tests v India in India
Jan 2011 - 3 tests v Pakistan in NZ

Then ODI world cup in Feb-Mar 2011. After that the Future tours schedule for NZ from Cricinfo gets a little hazy with it showing nothing after that until 2 tests vs Australia in Nov 2011.

So in summary, after the home series against Australia there's a potentially tricky series against Bangladesh in Bangladesh, but it's one we should really still win comfortably. Then India in India which would cause Bond to break down even if nothing else does. Pass. Then Pakistan in NZ again for which it would no doubt be nice to have Bond, but perhaps not essential.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Actually after the Australia series I'm not too fussed at all about his future in Test cricket. Get through a full series vs. Oz and its job well done Mr. Bond.
I think he'd be better off concentrating on limited overs cricket. It's a more sensible workload, and also New Zealand are much better at it, so he could potentially contribute to something important like a WC or T20WC victory.
These two posts describe my thoughts well. There's a greater chance of seeing more of Bond if he just played ODIs, and with the Test schedule straw man listed, it's only the Australia series that really interests me there.

Retire from Tests after that series and then try and make it through to the WC 2011 would be my call.

biased indian

International Coach
even with out Bond NZ is a good team in ODI..in T20 you only need good batsmen :)

But they surely need his service in test to be more competitive