• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I actually reckon Clark's was as bad as that "edge" that does the rounds on UToobs where the batsman appears to miss by a coupla of feet. Except for real. In a test. In the Ashes. 5th of five.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbh, I'm not sure it was a "great decision" so to speak, it was obviously the right decision, but I wonder if the umpire (given all the other mistakes made in this match) just missed the ball clipping anything whatsoever...obviously I have no real reason to think this, but, this possibility did occur to me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tbh, I'm not sure it was a "great decision" so to speak, it was obviously the right decision, but I wonder if the umpire (given all the other mistakes made in this match) just missed the ball clipping anything whatsoever...obviously I have no real reason to think this, but, this possibility did occur to me.
I don't think so, the noise and deflection looked pretty obvious to me. As I said in the 5th test thread, I'd have had me finger up.

Although after the Clark decision I can understand why you might think that...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think so, the noise and deflection looked pretty obvious to me. As I said in the 5th test thread, I'd have had me finger up.

Although after the Clark decision I can understand why you might think that...
Yeah, I don't actually think it is what happened tbh, as like you say, there was a fairly obvious deviation of the ball mid-flight. But like you say again, the Clark decision from yesterday lingering in my mind meant that I did entertain the possibility.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Greg's article:

Referral, Not the Plan A

It doesn't matter who you support, England or Australia, it's a safe bet that supporters from both sides will agree the standard of umpiring this 2009 Ashes series has been nothing short of abysmal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting article, but it should be borne in mind that the first example is incorrect.

Koertzen didn't take Strauss' word for it, Doctrove actually saw it carry so there's no grounds for going to the 3rd umpire as the umpire's view wasn't obscured.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Indeed he does, and with the foreshortening effect, I'd say Doctrove's view is better than the replay anyway. It was a huge call to make if he didn't see it properly, would've been easy to just send it upstairs.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Feck. Just saw Clark's dismissal. Honestly reckon we were appealing for LBW initially. Genuinely think it's the most a "catch" has ever missed the bat by for an upheld appeal I've ever seen. Woeful, woeful stuff.
I think Andre Botha, who was "caught" at bat-pad off Mohammad Sami in that Ireland-Pakistan ODI, would disagree with you.